C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Made a mistake yesterday and drove to a "Classic Car Show"!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2002, 08:24 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Made a mistake yesterday and drove to a "Classic Car Show"!

Here's a pic:

I heard this car show advertised on the radio Saturday for a Sunday event(yesterday). Well it was close enough so my wife & I decided we could jaunt on up check out some of the other classics, do a little shopping and head back home. I was expecting another cruise type event. Now I know the difference between a cruise and a show. The cars there were absolutely beautiful in every respect. Truely show quality cars. The red '72 in the photo next to mine looked like it was built yesterday. There wasn't even a hint of dust or any smudges on any of the cars.

I had to register my '70 to be judged as we entered. :eek: Again, I didn't know any better so I said OK. Then when I saw some of the other cars, my heart just sank and I was almost embarrassed about the condition of my '70. My vette is about a 10ft car and my engine compartment could sure use a cleaning and painting. Fortunately no one treated us as outcasts. We stayed and talked with a few people and split after a couple hours. My wife(who is in the picture too) wanted to stay for the judging and trophy's, but after a ZR-1 and a new Viper arrived and entered out "Class"(2-seater) I felt the final arrow hit me. :lol:

One thing for certain though, a lot of heads turned when I fired her up with the chambered pipes. :yesnod: :yesnod:

[Modified by 1970 Stingray, 7:25 PM 6/3/2002]
Old 06-03-2002, 08:35 PM
PrarieShark
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Made a mistake yesterday and drove to a "Classic Car Show"! (1970 Stingray)

You should have stayed most shows like that will pick a hot classic over a new car.
Everyone please dont take this wrong Im not puting down newer gens.
Old 06-03-2002, 08:37 PM
Aaron76
Pro

Default Re: Made a mistake yesterday and drove to a "Classic Car Show"! (1970 Stingray)

That's usaly the way it goes.
The main reason I go to the shows is to meet other people and have a good time. I think that is what it is all about. I have also found that most if not all people weather they have a great car or not are there for the same reason, and for thoes that take it to seriously. Well :U to hell with them :D .
Old 06-03-2002, 08:42 PM
FINWOLF
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 106 Posts

1970 stingray I like your car I would never be ashamed of it I love the gas cap.Great color and stripe.
Old 06-03-2002, 09:26 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Made a mistake yesterday and drove to a "Classic Car Show"! (Stephen DeFazio)

Glad you signed on here. We need your address so we can mail you your trophy!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :troll :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

funny, I stopped by a classic show (late) near me and also realized how unshowready my car is!! Several chevelles and GTOs, many in pristine condition. But most of the shows I go to have a good mix of cars. I usually tell them to exclude my car from judging. I just enjoy looking at the cars and chatting with the owners. :) I have also discovered a very nice accessory to have at car shows is a miniature scale model of your car!! :) The kids love it, it looks cool, and it distracts people away from the dirty engine compartment of the real car!! :lol: MJ
Old 06-03-2002, 09:36 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Made a mistake yesterday and drove to a "Classic Car Show"! (MNJack)

Thanks guys. Well I know, at least until I get the BB in and the interior done I'll confine my attendance to the "car cruises". My '70 will never be as pristine as most of the cars at the "show" primarily because I choose to drive it occassionally.

I'm sure most of the cars I saw were treated like relics by the owner and infact as we were leaving a trailer was delivering a '61-62 Chevy! :eek: My '70 & I fit better into the "car cruise" catagory. :yesnod: :yesnod:
Old 06-03-2002, 09:44 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 512 Likes on 312 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

I have been to a LOT of Corvette shows, Down in Maryland and all over New Jersey and even as far noth as Rhode Island, and I've never met a Corvette owner or fancier or the marque that was ever snotty or stuck up. I only started showing my 79 last year and I made sure it was cleaned. My friend from California, Stephaniesbad79 couched me on how to do a super detailing job and I was really surprised when I won third place in the street/stock class. My 79 is super original and I'm showing it this weekend in New Jersey at allair state park. but I really doubt you will ever find a Corvette owner who doesn't love all years of Corvettes. It's really a large extended family thing. :D
Old 06-03-2002, 09:47 PM
foundvettelifeisgood
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 183 Likes on 86 Posts

Default Re: Made a mistake yesterday and drove to a "Classic Car Show"! (MNJack)

Len,

Perhaps a few doughnuts at WOT would have swayed the judges? :yesnod:

I went to the Corvette/Jag show at Linden Hall on Saturday. You should have been there. I felt the same way about my car. There were some real clean examples there. Even a cleaner version of my own car. :eek:

You have to show your car. You see the faults. Everyone else wishes they had it. Remember this:

There are more people at these shows that have no cool car at all, and the guys with the real clean cars feel better about their cars when they see ours. :lol: :lol: I suspect the guys with the totally stock cars are all torn up inside wanting your chambered pipes, headers and :cool: gas cap.

The real disappointment is when a guy tells you he left his cool car at home, because of this or that. :nopity

:cheers:
Old 06-03-2002, 09:49 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree about the 'cruise' class. I will never have my car 'show' ready but i can drive it to the show and I drive it as much as possible. I bought my car to drive it, not show it off to others. But I would like to participate in a 'cruise' type event where we do look at each others cars but not 'judging' takes place, just friends getting together taking cars and sharing good times. There is nothing wrong with 'shows', they are just not for me.
Old 06-03-2002, 09:52 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Our Club has a philosophy that all Corvettes are welcome, whatever year and in whatever condition. No one has any reason to criticize another's car. We come from all walks of life, income levels. It works for us.
Old 06-03-2002, 09:54 PM
TD-Machines
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I am going to feel your pain on June 15
Old 06-03-2002, 10:00 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Made a mistake yesterday and drove to a "Classic Car Show"! (td-machines)

I was at an autocross this weekend up in Brainard, they also had a car show. One of my friends has a beautifull yellow 70 454. He had bought a 12" tall Rat last halloween and had it sitting on the luggage rack. He was personally sporting a 'Phat Rat' Tee shirt.

He never expected to win, he didn't vote, neither did his wife, but Patti and I and 70Dave did and you know what? The Phat Rat won third place!

[Modified by 427V8, 8:03 PM 6/3/2002]
Old 06-03-2002, 10:12 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

1970 Stingray, if your ever feeling embarassed about entering your car in a show, throw me the keys! I'll gladly drive it in with my head held high :D . I've always liked your car, I've been impressed since your first sig pic. :cheers:

Some people are into showing their car much more than driving them. My car is driven and while I like it to look good, I just don't have the energy it takes to look as good as some others can make theirs. When ever I wax my car, I take my hat off to the shiners ;) .
Old 06-03-2002, 10:20 PM
Red73
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Made a mistake yesterday and drove to a "Classic Car Show"! (SmokedTires)

1970 Stingray. Just remember that you're representing the forum when ever you attend a cruise or a show. I'm not going to have my car out much this year so it's up to you guys to represent us that won't be showing/driving our cars much this year. Rod
Old 06-03-2002, 10:38 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey, don't worry about it! First time I took the BOSS 302 to a Mustang show, I had the same experience. I was SOOO embarrassed! But you know what? It was voted spectator's choice! They showed me the comments and it was because it was so original, warts and all. Now I don't worry about it. I just took it to the Wine Country Classic and it was great to hear all the people's comments on their memories of that time. I was parked next to an original 427SC that was perfect and it was no big deal. The Vette gets the same response. It's all about the cool cars we own.

Hans
Old 06-03-2002, 11:00 PM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should have stuck around. Everyone leaves at about the same time, and 50 or so hot rods starting up is music to the ears! Don't avoid the shows...get out some rubbing compound, swirl mark remover, zaino, and whatever else you need...don't blow it, show it!
Old 06-03-2002, 11:54 PM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Made a mistake yesterday and drove to a "Classic Car Show"! (Wrencher)

Reading these replies makes me feel a LOT better about my cars current cosmetic condition. Especially Wrencher's. :cool:
"I was SOOO embarrassed! But you know what? It was voted spectator's choice! They showed me the comments and it was because it was so original, warts and all."
:cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Made a mistake yesterday and drove to a "Classic Car Show"!

Old 06-04-2002, 12:38 AM
jdunne
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Made a mistake yesterday and drove to a "Classic Car Show"! (MIKER)

Miker,how do you think i feel with a dark brown 74R,an unloved colour from an unloved year......i take perverse pleasure from keeping it original stock looking(except for the 17"wheels)...looks great from 30'+...plenty of stone chips up close.....what surprises them all is when i fire up a 500hp 383 with a pair of 21/2" dual pipes and small "mufflers"....a real sleeper hot rod.......it is surprising the difference between the keep the original air in tires group to the modify everything group.....mine seems to be in the middle....john :chevy
Old 06-04-2002, 01:07 AM
Cruzmeisters
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Len - where was "The Show"? Of course, I would'na gone anyway...why should I pay someone X # of $$$ to tell me what's wrong with mine, when I could tell ya for free? I'd rather invest the entry fee in a good meal at Dave & Buster's Cruise :yesnod: We hit that one, then Primanti's.
Donna's "Pink/Link" "broke" a mile from home, so we were FORCED to return home for the Vette ;)
This Saturday is "Beaver Falls"...if you only go to ONE Cruise a year, THIS is the one! . Vehicles actually CRUISE, when they want to, as much as they want to. Add in a dozen Cinnamon Buns from "Orme's" Bakery (they have to be ordered 24 hours in advance) and life don't get no better'n THAT, BABY!! :nono: Starts @ 2:00 p.m.; we got there @ 9:30 a.m. last year, and barely got a parking space. They close off the "Main Drag" to CRUISE vehicles only :smash: :smash:
Cruz
Old 06-04-2002, 02:37 AM
the oz
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Made a mistake yesterday and drove to a "Classic Car Show"! (jdunne)

Miker,how do you think i feel with a dark brown 74R,an unloved colour from an unloved year......i take perverse pleasure from keeping it original stock looking(except for the 17"wheels)...looks great from 30'+...plenty of stone chips up close.....what surprises them all is when i fire up a 500hp 383 with a pair of 21/2" dual pipes and small "mufflers"....a real sleeper hot rod.......
Yeah, but it least it aint red like the rest of them John :lol:

Quick Reply: Made a mistake yesterday and drove to a "Classic Car Show"!