C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

serpentine belt kit issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 09:01 AM
bodaboom69
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 57 Posts

Default serpentine belt kit issue

hello everybody, it's been a while since i've visited and joined in the chat, hope everyone is well.
here's my issue:
purchased a gm serpentine belt kit (12490896) off craigslist. kit is brand new, never been used. i have an 81, with a 327 & a aftermarket damper. when installing the crank pulley (10055879) it touches the frame. the pulley is 7 3/4" diameter.
has anyone had experience with this kit? i'm going to look if there is a smaller diameter pulley available, but was thinking of just notching the frame. the pulley is only just touching the frame and a small notch would be a fairly easy mod.
your opinions and experience would be very much appreciated.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:15 AM
wydglydrydr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems to be a random problem. I put a GM serpentine kit in my 72 and had plenty of clearance. While reading about the swap on this forum, I found that some folks had the same problem you're having while others did not. Those who did almost all chose to modify the frame, the most popular mod being to cut a notch out and weld a recessed piece back into the notch to provide the needed clearance. It's been a while since I did mine, but I imagine if you search the archives you'll still find threads with photos to help you out.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:11 PM
bodaboom69
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 57 Posts

thanks for the input.
i've already started notching the frame, it's pretty easy going.

Get notified of new replies

To serpentine belt kit issue

Quick Reply: serpentine belt kit issue