C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4-speed Muncie M-21

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 10:59 PM
BOWTIEGIRL
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4-speed Muncie M-21

I am ready to pull my hair out with this one. I work on my '70 Corvette when it needs it. I am stumped due to my shifter, isnt as easy to shift as it use to be. I try to put it in reverse and it goes into 1st gear. I try to put it in 1st gear and it is in 3rd gear. I have to think about it and force it to get it into the right gears. It is tearing my shifter cover on the drivers side due to the fact that it feels like I ran out of room to shift it into reverse or 1st gear. Everything is tight and in place under the car, no loose bolts. So this has me believing it has to be on top or something to do with the shifter!!! Sometimes I will shift into 3rd gear and it will pop or move, but will stay in 3rd gear!!!!! This has me stumped!! I have not taken the console apart to check anything, and know nothing internally of a 4 speed muncie. I be thinking this is something simple, but I would like to get some feed back on this, Thanx, Sherry
Old 09-08-2012, 01:36 AM
CheezMoe
Melting Slicks

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13,'19-'20

Sherry, your shifter has linkage rods which are adjustable. It also has bushing where the rods attached at each end. If the rods get out of adjustment, or the bushing wear to the point the rods cannot hold adjustment, it would cause the behavior you describe. Taking the console off wont show anything, it's all underneath. You need to get the car in the air and inspect the rods and bushing and adjust it!!
Good Luck!
Old 09-08-2012, 02:22 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Do it before it gets stuck in 2 gears at once

Happened to me on my first 67 rs...too young-Sold it cheap still haunts me. lol
Old 09-08-2012, 08:46 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by dosoctaves
Sherry, your shifter has linkage rods which are adjustable. It also has bushing where the rods attached at each end. If the rods get out of adjustment, or the bushing wear to the point the rods cannot hold adjustment, it would cause the behavior you describe. Taking the console off wont show anything, it's all underneath. You need to get the car in the air and inspect the rods and bushing and adjust it!!
Good Luck!
worn shifter mechanism- very common, not difficult to fix.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:38 AM
RPOZ4Z
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

you can get a rebuild kit for the stock shifter and have it shifting like brand new for cheap...

Get notified of new replies

To 4-speed Muncie M-21

Quick Reply: 4-speed Muncie M-21