C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about the swing pedals

Old 09-03-2012, 11:53 AM
mbeeman350
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'07-'09

Default Questions about the swing pedals

Working toward changing from an auto to a Tremec 5 speed. So I need to change out the pedals/pedal box.
Is there a difference between the pedal boxes, auto to stick and manual to power brakes?
If I all I have to change out is the pedals, is it possible to change out the pedals and leave the box in the car?
Been reading some prior post on this and looks like its a PITA to do.
thanks
Old 09-03-2012, 03:14 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Yes, there is a difference between a power brake and non-power brake pedal box. Manual and auto pedal boxes are the same.

A power brake pedal housing is different than a manual brake. Also, the switch actuator braket is different for PB and manual. A 68 will have a funky (and expensive) brake light switch. Not sure when the neutral saftey switch was added.

Here is a picture of the mounts holes for PB and manual:

Power Brake box is on the left. The Power Brake box just has 4 round holes while the manual brake box has a set of top square holes and 2 bottom welded nuts.

I believe that it is not possible to change the pedals without removing the pedal box from the car, there is not enough room to get the pin out that holds the pedals in place with the box stil in place.

Last edited by 7t2vette; 09-03-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:01 PM
edk136
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

7t2vette,

Besides the mount and the brake light switches, what is the difference between the two brake pedal boxes. I'm getting ready to switch over from PB to manual on my 70' and have the manual brake light switch but I was wondering what else I'll have to do (besides moving the pushrod to the other hole). I've read somewhere that the manual brake pedal has an upstop but I have not been able to confirm this.

Thanks, Eric
Old 09-04-2012, 09:58 PM
mbeeman350
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'07-'09

Originally Posted by 7t2vette
Yes, there is a difference between a power brake and non-power brake pedal box. Manual and auto pedal boxes are the same.

A power brake pedal housing is different than a manual brake. Also, the switch actuator braket is different for PB and manual. A 68 will have a funky (and expensive) brake light switch. Not sure when the neutral saftey switch was added.

Here is a picture of the mounts holes for PB and manual:

Power Brake box is on the left. The Power Brake box just has 4 round holes while the manual brake box has a set of top square holes and 2 bottom welded nuts.

I believe that it is not possible to change the pedals without removing the pedal box from the car, there is not enough room to get the pin out that holds the pedals in place with the box stil in place.

Bruce thanks for the pics and description on the pedal boxes.. big help
Old 09-05-2012, 05:46 PM
iokepakai
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Did this swap last year.Removing the box is not that bad.Take your time and note where the parts came from.The steering column needs to be removed and it's a good time to replace that lower column bearing and rag joint.If your going to use the neutral safety switch wire it up before you install the box,it's a PITA to wire after you have it installed.Here's my write up:http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...am-change.html It's a rewarding project,you'll be when your shifting those gears.....Aloha's

Get notified of new replies

To Questions about the swing pedals

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Questions about the swing pedals