C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering Pump placement and pulley help

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 01:44 PM
red70stingray
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering Pump placement and pulley help

I am having a problem with the placement of the power steering pump. It currently runs to the outer most groove an a 4 groove crank pulley. I need to bring it in 1 groove closer to the engine so i can install a 3 groove pulley, so... are all mounting brackets the same for all pumps or is there a differance from short to long water pumps?? Are all pump shafts the same length? Woulds putting on a 2 groove power steering pulley bring the belt in closer or further out?? My goal... I want to put a/c on and need the second groove off the water pump and crank, but as you can see the crank has a spacer like set up and i cant hook up the a/c! Motor is not original, doing a retro fit

Old 08-07-2012, 02:28 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

a two groove pulley would work, a vette pump would have a shorter pully shaft bringin it closer, the pump brackets are mostly the same , the difference is in the shaft and weather they are bolted or pressed. and vette brackets may work also.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:28 AM
red70stingray
Pro

Originally Posted by oldalaskaman
a two groove pulley would work, a vette pump would have a shorter pully shaft bringin it closer, the pump brackets are mostly the same , the difference is in the shaft and weather they are bolted or pressed. and vette brackets may work also.
I did not know this... I think what i'll do is remove what i have and hit some parts stores and get a shorter pump.. Safe to assume the back is all the same and the lines will just match up?
Old 08-07-2012, 08:49 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

your return line is sometimes angled a bit different, fixed with a new longer hose, you're on the right track though most dont come with a pully. so that will be extra. good luck with the search. some of the vette pump pulleys are bolted so that may save you on the pulley, I think it was the earlier years.

Last edited by oldalaskaman; 08-07-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:14 AM
red70stingray
Pro

Originally Posted by oldalaskaman
your return line is sometimes angled a bit different, fixed with a new longer hose, you're on the right track though most dont come with a pully. so that will be extra. good luck with the search. some of the vette pump pulleys are bolted so that may save you on the pulley, I think it was the earlier years.
This job, thow easy for some, will be a challange for me, but i will attempt it. On that note doing it twice would kill me!! So i'll get new lines and do it all at once!!
There should be a new Olympic sport, how far you can throw an open end wrench when frustrated..
Thank You!
Old 08-07-2012, 10:18 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

beer in one hand , wrench in the other, goes further if you frisbe toss it, doesnt spill beer either....much...best done with an empty beer can, cuts down on alcohol abuse.

Get notified of new replies

To Power steering Pump placement and pulley help

Quick Reply: Power steering Pump placement and pulley help