C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'82 Power Seat & Window Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 01:03 PM
msdeess
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '82 Power Seat & Window Issues

When I first purchased my 82 vette, the control panel that attaches at the bottom of the drivers seat kept coming off. Seat able to be adjusted then one day... no more. Drivable but I am having to keep a small pillow behind the seat back to allow me better control.

I am thinking perhaps a broken loose wire but not much room to get to without having to completely remove the seat (pain). Is there any way to bypass enough to get seat set? Don't need to move up much, but anything would be good.

Also, passenger window switch in middle console keeps falling down into the whole to where switch no longer works. I have shimmed it up from below once before, but this seems only a temp fix. Any suggestions?
Old 08-06-2012, 02:51 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Check and see if you have power going to the seat. There's a two wire plug under the seat you can unplug. Unbolt the seat if you have too. The seat switches were used on Cadillacs and other luxury cars and it will be a fuse or circuit breaker type fuse powering everything.

Last edited by hugie82; 08-06-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:55 PM
scorpion18z
Racer

Originally Posted by msdeess82
When I first purchased my 82 vette, the control panel that attaches at the bottom of the drivers seat kept coming off. Seat able to be adjusted then one day... no more. Drivable but I am having to keep a small pillow behind the seat back to allow me better control.

I am thinking perhaps a broken loose wire but not much room to get to without having to completely remove the seat (pain). Is there any way to bypass enough to get seat set? Don't need to move up much, but anything would be good.

Also, passenger window switch in middle console keeps falling down into the whole to where switch no longer works. I have shimmed it up from below once before, but this seems only a temp fix. Any suggestions?
The seat is not that bad to remove and once removed it is very doable to repair the power power mechanism. I just completed a restoration on my '82 and the 6-way power seat is working flawlessly. If you have any specific questions or need a few pictures, let me know.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:03 AM
msdeess
Intermediate

Can I take you up on the pictures offer? I would be much obliged for it help my confidence in taking on projects I know I can do myself. On the window switch issue, how do you get the switch to stay up and snug in the console plate? Alot of space between switch base & frame. Any suggestions?
Old 08-10-2012, 08:49 AM
scorpion18z
Racer

Default PhotoBucket Link of 82' Restoration

Originally Posted by msdeess82
Can I take you up on the pictures offer? I would be much obliged for it help my confidence in taking on projects I know I can do myself. On the window switch issue, how do you get the switch to stay up and snug in the console plate? Alot of space between switch base & frame. Any suggestions?
This is a link to my photobucket 82' restoration link where you can view the seat track assembly (YE and YD) and the power window switch (LB). On the power window switch there are two tabs that you place screws in (from under the console) to attach.

Copy and paste the link in your browzer

http://s1087.photobucket.com/albums/...on18z/?start=0
Old 08-10-2012, 03:52 PM
msdeess
Intermediate

thanks again soo much! Will keep u posted :o)
Old 08-10-2012, 10:28 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

the problem that i have found with the power seat is the wires go bad because you are sitting on them .check the wire from the connection to the switch .
Old 08-11-2012, 10:45 AM
scorpion18z
Racer

More likely the problem lies within the 6-way switch on the driver's seat. More times than not, if you remove the switch and take it apart and clean the contacts and wire connections it will be operational (provided nothing is broken or missing). Thirty year old cars have a tendency to accumulate dirt, grease and corrosion, all of which play havoc on both electrical and mechanical systems.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:03 AM
msdeess
Intermediate

Thanks for the info!
Old 09-08-2012, 03:20 PM
wrenchdog
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1982 electric seat

when i bought my 82 2 months ago the power seat would not work.

i took it to the shop they said all it was the ground.
apparently they cleaned where it grounds and that was it.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:27 PM
Rgrimsley
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you know where I can buy a new seat motor for the 82?
Old 09-20-2012, 08:12 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

l dont know of any body selling new ones try the junk yards
Old 09-20-2012, 08:22 PM
scorpion18z
Racer

I do not. However I do have some parts for an '82 like original rear bumper cover (I changed style during my restoration), original rear tail light/back-up light assembly (Went to bubble lenses), and air scoop flapper & solenoid (removed from my car for direct air intake), and parking brake console cover. If interested, I will send pictures and price.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:57 PM
texasbaehr
Racer

Removing the seat is very easy, Four nuts under the car lift the seat unplug the wire connectors and lift it out. Once out you can unbolt the seat from the adjuster and then put it on the bench to work on it.
My 81 had bad brushes in one of the motors. disassembling the motor to repair it is easy but putting it back together is impossible.
I bought another Power seat rack on ebay for $175.00 and solved the problem.

Get notified of new replies

To '82 Power Seat & Window Issues

Quick Reply: '82 Power Seat & Window Issues