C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vacuum or Mechanical secondaries

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 04:22 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by phclub
Scottyp, and/or Lars, I have a 70 350/300 with the Qjet, I do not have any issues with the carb but, I question if the secondaries open. Should I notice a huge kick at say 70MPH when I stomp on it, or hear a big sucking noise or surge in speed. What is the simplest way to test if the secondaries open at WOT?
On a non-running engine, with one hand, open the choke blade, to insure that the choke lock-out will not engage. Then, with your other hand, turn the throttle linkage to WOT. Now, with your third hand, push down on the secondary airvalve, and look down inside and see if the throttle blades are open. If they aren't, you have some troubleshooting to do.

What I like to do, is wire the choke lock-out to disable the secondaries, and tune the primaries. Then un-wire the secondaries, and adjust the secondary airvalve opening sooner and sooner, until it bogs, then go back a little bit. Learned it from Lars.

When you really put the spurs too her with a load, you should be hearing what I like to call the "Quadrajet Moan". You'll know it when you hear it.

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott

Last edited by scottyp99; 08-25-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:14 PM
texasbaehr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lars
Actually, the Q-Jet is a mechanical secondary carb with a secondary airvalve. For a complete description of the Q-Jet secondary system, you can e-mail me for a copy of my "Q-Jet Setup" and the "Engine Vacuum Explained" papers - these papers cover the Q-Jet mechanical system and the vacuum secondary systems (only used on the Holley-based designs) in detail. Also - the original statement by the OP is incorrect: The Edelbrock 650 is not a vacuum secondary carb - it's a mechanical carb with a counterweighted airvalve secondary.

...and you're right - I've shown several times through dyno testing numbers that it's tough to beat the performance of a Q-Jet on a street-driven car:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...-question.html

Lars
V8FastCars@msn.com

Let's all thank Lars for bringing some sanity to this thread!
THANKS LARS!
Old 08-25-2012, 06:42 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

I've have had two high HP motors in my Vette a 550HP 406ci and 600HP 427ci and contrary to the boost button in the movies, when I floor it the secondaries open up but you hardly feel anything, it's not like wow sit me back in my seat and flames come out of the exhaust pipes as the secondaries open, I don't really even feel it however with the mechanical secondary carbs I know they are opening and giving the engine the fuel it needs
Old 08-25-2012, 11:07 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

AFB carb had counter weighted secondary air valve but, if it is a AVS (Air Valve Secondary) the secondary air valve should be spring dampened and that spring should be adjustable.

Here is a link explaining the difference between the AFB and the AVS and how to adjust the secondary air door. The AVS is a MUCH better carb than an AFB and you should try to make it work.

Link: http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/t...s/viewall.html
Old 08-26-2012, 03:45 AM
snoopykissedlucy
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, I have run a Holley DP and a Holley Vac Sec.......and still drag race with my Holley Vac Sec.
That said, I found out what the seat of the pants feel comes from.........and it's not the carb secondaries. It turned out to be a properly set-up automatic transmission downshift linkage.
At a certain part-throttle rpm, if I stomp on the gas, the linkage will downshift to the next lower gear (I run a TH350) and WHOA....seat of the pants Zoomy Zoom Zoom as the rpms climb and the car lurches forward.

Quick Reply: Vacuum or Mechanical secondaries