C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I have a major problem??

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2002, 07:44 PM
My69
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do I have a major problem??

I changed the bolts and cushions on my 69 leaf spring last week. Drove around all week and on Monday I could not open the passenger door. The door kept binding up. I have checked the door spring and hinges, they appear alright. There is not much play in the door. I jacked the front of the car up and took the pressure off the front wheels and the door worked fine. Could the hinges and bushings be gone or have I done something far worse??
Mike
Old 05-28-2002, 08:30 PM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Do I have a major problem?? (My69)

If you had a convertible, I would say it is the body flexing on the frame. A lot of convertibles have problems getting the doors open when lifted by the suggested lift points.

Since you have a coupe, I have no idea. I guess it could do something similar, just not as severe. Did you affect rear ride height?
Maybe I'm way out to lunch.
Old 05-28-2002, 09:38 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,671 Likes on 1,350 Posts

Mike how do the bushings feel? How does the door line up when it's closed,did the alignment change? I have jacked up both coupes and verts without the problem? I'll be working on my cars this weekend if you want to bring it over for a look.
Gary
Old 05-29-2002, 02:19 AM
WATTAC
Racer

Both doors on my '69 coupe will bind if I'm not careful when I jack the car up. I use it as an indication of how careful I've been in selecting jack points. There is some body flex, but it has always returned to "normal" when I set the car back down on the wheels. If I try to move the point too far back or forward of the recommended side frame point I can "lock" the car up. The body will "move" all over the place and depends on the frame to hold its shape.

I'd check for frame damage or rot. How did you jack up the car to replace the spring? There's a chance you "just" bent the frame a bit and will have to realign the door.

Andy
Old 05-29-2002, 04:48 PM
KENTUCKY81
Advanced

Default Re: Do I have a major problem?? (WATTAC)

The guys who rotate my tires with a floor jack always open the doors on both sides to prevent any kind of binding. My doors have been done that way as well and now the drivers side has about a 16th diff between it and the body. I do not think its major. :smash:
Old 05-29-2002, 05:32 PM
JSB69
Burning Brakes

You definitely flexed the car when you jacked it up. The question is why didn't it go back when you let it down. That's a new one on me. I would start by having a helper raise the front to get the door to work and watch the door very closely while they are doing it to see where the movement is. You may be able to compensate for what happened with some adjustments. I don't want to alarm you, but I would be very concerned until you figure this out. Are you sure the rear is sitting same as before you worked on it? Are all of your body mounts OK. My THEORY is that maybe the body is not sitting on the frame same as before, but it's just a place to start. I'm sure most of us would be very interested in the answer. Good luck!
Old 05-29-2002, 05:42 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,671 Likes on 1,350 Posts

Default Re: Do I have a major problem?? (JSB69)

That's a thought-broken body mounts. I know the #4's on both of mine cars are on there last legs but I don't want to touch them yet.
Gary
Old 05-30-2002, 08:18 PM
My69
Burning Brakes

Hello everyone:

I adjusted the door by raising it slightly. So far so good. I also bought new bushings and pins in case the fix dosent last to long. Thanks for all the great advice.

Mike :smash:

Get notified of new replies

To Do I have a major problem??

Quick Reply: Do I have a major problem??