C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1978 Vette lifters making ticking sound

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 06:17 PM
78stan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1978 Vette lifters making ticking sound

My passenger side valve cover, there is a ticking sound. When you rev the engine it ticks faster. I just recently replaced my valve cover gaskets. Someone told me the lifters can get stuck at times, so they pointed me in the direction of something called Marvel Mystery Oil. I poured half a quart with new oil on an oil change, but the ticking sound continues. How would one go about fixing this? Or is it just a matter of time before the lifter becomes unstuck? Appreciate all the help on this.

Worst case scenario on what needs to be done to change the lifter is appreciated.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:01 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Well, you could try adjusting them. IIRC, with a hot engine, loosen nut until it clatters - tighten in 1/4 incrediments (slowly), until clatter stops and then I go 1/2 turn more ( in 1/4 turn increments - slowly) - I think the book says a full turn. Hydralics should be quiet (more or less) and if suddendly it goes noisy, something more serious could be your problem. You might even have lifters or a cam that is going south. You might want to ask others for an opinion.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:24 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

http://web.archive.org/web/200310031...=116&TopicID=3
Old 07-25-2012, 07:46 PM
jman1
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just throwing this out there... i had a pretty good tick...i was thinking lifter.... i was my exhaust manifold gasket...check for leaks around it just to be sure...
Old 07-27-2012, 01:01 PM
78stan
Instructor

Thanks guys, will take a look.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:43 PM
0Paul Ruggeri
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you check and find one of the rockers is loose, check for a cam going flat. With no zinc in most oils now, this is a fairly common problem.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:47 PM
78stan
Instructor

Will do, one thing I also notice. I am losing about a quart of oil a week... but I can't find the leak anywhere... that is there is no oil leaks. Leads me to think I am burining oil... is this a seal issue... and if yes... could the ticking be related to this?
Old 07-31-2012, 05:49 PM
blckslvr79
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How many miles on this engine????
Old 07-31-2012, 07:31 PM
74modified
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I assume you checked your oil pressure first, as low pressure could cause noise. Find the noise location by using a hose to you ear as a stethoscope. If the noise is inside the valve cover, it could be a number of things. Remove the cover and inspect. Adjustment (check the nut for locking function), worn rocker & ball or push rod (check both ends), worn cam lobe, broken valve spring, bad lifter, even a backed out rocker arm stud.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:10 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Since you're trying oil additives, recall as a kid, getting a highly solvent additive, that that looked like paint thinner for freeing up stuck lifters. Stuff worked pretty good, but not intended to be left in very long, and your needed to drain out all the oil in a couple days. Sure the stuff is still being made.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:18 PM
78stan
Instructor

Just to update: I used a vacum nozzle as a stethoscope to locate the ticking noise (put one end on the vave cover and the other end to my ear whil enegine was on), found the noise on passenger side near the cabin (eight cyclinder). Engine has 60,000 miles on it. I removed the valve covers and got the lifter on the upside and began to tighten down the loose rod. After tightening I started her up and the noise went away, but then returned. This is hydraulic on a 350 small block. The ticking returned... I kept adjusting it but am afraid to have it go flat as Im sure these arent meant to be with the connection to the rod and oil pressure and all. At this point... I am thinking of pulling the manifold off (maybe a 4 hour job) and replacing every lifter. Any thoughts of a solution that can clean this out without me going in their and changing everything? Should I apply some sea foam to this lifter, sure thre is some residue buildup.

Last edited by 78stan; 08-03-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:22 PM
78stan
Instructor

Default Oil Pressure

Yes checked the oil pressure it looks good between 20 to 40. So its just a stuck lifter at this point... tried to tighten it but it continues to tick.

Originally Posted by 74modified
I assume you checked your oil pressure first, as low pressure could cause noise. Find the noise location by using a hose to you ear as a stethoscope. If the noise is inside the valve cover, it could be a number of things. Remove the cover and inspect. Adjustment (check the nut for locking function), worn rocker & ball or push rod (check both ends), worn cam lobe, broken valve spring, bad lifter, even a backed out rocker arm stud.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:11 PM
74modified
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Was the pushrod (that you adjusted) pumping oil up and into the rocker? If not, pull the rod and clean out the passage. Then you could try ( I know this sounds crazy) using some carb cleaner (red straw) through the pushrod down into the lifter. Then run it awhile re-adjusted. This will sometimes free up a sticky lifter. And yes you could replace lifters. Check their bottom face for wear, or it could be a cam too. If you do replace you will need to do cam break-in.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:43 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 582 Likes on 504 Posts

Check to see if the noisy one has more threads showing above the nut than the others, it's possible the stud is pulling out of the head.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:07 AM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by 78stan
Just to update: I used a vacum nozzle as a stethoscope to locate the ticking noise (put one end on the vave cover and the other end to my ear whil enegine was on), found the noise on passenger side near the cabin (eight cyclinder). Engine has 60,000 miles on it. I removed the valve covers and got the lifter on the upside and began to tighten down the loose rod. After tightening I started her up and the noise went away, but then returned. This is hydraulic on a 350 small block. The ticking returned... I kept adjusting it but am afraid to have it go flat as Im sure these arent meant to be with the connection to the rod and oil pressure and all. At this point... I am thinking of pulling the manifold off (maybe a 4 hour job) and replacing every lifter. Any thoughts of a solution that can clean this out without me going in their and changing everything? Should I apply some sea foam to this lifter, sure thre is some residue buildup.
Don't keep cranking the nut down or you will wipe your cam lobe out. At this point I would pull the intake and the lifters on #8 and check them and the cam lobe if the rocker stud isn't pulling out of the head. Make sure the lifters go back in the same lifter bore they are removed from.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:42 AM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 63mako
Don't keep cranking the nut down or you will wipe your cam lobe out. At this point I would pull the intake and the lifters on #8 and check them and the cam lobe if the rocker stud isn't pulling out of the head. Make sure the lifters go back in the same lifter bore they are removed from.
You need to take the intake off and see what is going on in there.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:55 AM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

You can't put new lifters in or at least I wouldn't. New lifters on an old cam is a recipe for disaster. If you have a problem with a bad lifter since you have the intake off replace cam and lifters as a set. I know someone is going to chime in and say replace the bad lifter and run it. I wouldn't. If you decide to do it anyway you need to use a quality moly cam lube on the lobe and lifters you replace, make sure the lobe is perfect, make sure all lifters rotate freely in the bores, cold adjust them properly, use break in oil and follow the new cam break in procedure. Always run a high ZDDP oil. And cross your fingers.

Get notified of new replies

To 1978 Vette lifters making ticking sound

Old 08-07-2012, 02:33 PM
78stan
Instructor

Might try the carb cleaner as a last resort before the removal of the intake and the replacement of lifters. The pushrod was pumping in oil, just that damn ticking noise wont go away.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:44 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Dumb question - you're positive it's a lifter noise and not something else, right?
Old 08-08-2012, 10:16 AM
78SilverCam
Instructor

Originally Posted by TWINRAY
Dumb question - you're positive it's a lifter noise and not something else, right?

Try using a piece of fuel hose or a shortned broomstick - stick it to parts of the engine to isolate where the noise if coming from.

If you are still at the valve covers, then you need to take it off and stick a piece of cardboard over it (oil shield) - run the engine and see what's going on.

Quick Reply: 1978 Vette lifters making ticking sound