C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!!! 77' stingray

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 04:09 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

You can pull a front tire and put the cherry picker in from the side.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:14 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by '75
You can pull a front tire and put the cherry picker in from the side.

That's the way I've done it - although I don't pull many any more.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:15 PM
Lesley Aquino
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

75' yes we tried that and it was working but I heard your suppose to pull the motor from the front only so that it pulls out straight to get it loose from the bell housing??? Is that true? Even so when we were pulling it from the side it wasn't clearing the motor mount from the passenger side
Old 07-24-2012, 04:21 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

If the engine hoist doesn't have steerable wheels up front, you can skid them sideways using a pry bar to get the engine separated from the trans. You don't want to pull the front clip, that's major.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:37 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Dude, if you have a crate engine ready to go, just put that in the car so you can drive it. That way, you can take your time rebuilding the original engine, do it right, and it won't be so stressful. It's not like the car is going to be worth less money because it once had a non-original motor in it for a year or two. Seems like such a no-brainer to me that I am having trouble believing that you are not just pulling our legs on this.

Here's an article that has a lot of good tips on removing and re-installing an engine in a C3. Good luck.........you're gonna need it! Muahahahahahaha!!!!!

Sorry, my evil side popped up for a few seconds there........

http://corvettes.about.com/od/basicm...ine-Swap_2.htm

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott

Last edited by scottyp99; 07-24-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:10 PM
Lesley Aquino
Heel & Toe

scottyp99: First off I am NOT a dude, I am a lady and secondly I have never owned a car like this before she is my first and that being said I have never rebuilt or pulled an engine :period:. So I wanted to learn how and enlisted some help (obviously) as to not mess it up and that's what I have been saying since the beginning to the people that are helping me. However they keep insisting that doing something like that is doing double the work and wouldn't be worth the money or effort since I just plan on swapping them back....so that's why I came on this site to see if I can get a clearer picture on what I can do and not do. Thanks for the article as well its very helpful.

Thanks for your suggestion :-)
Old 07-24-2012, 05:27 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Take a look at the pics in this current thread. They show removing the engine. You may want to contact them for any more info you may need.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...e-rebuild.html
Old 07-24-2012, 05:36 PM
Lesley Aquino
Heel & Toe

noonie: Thank you so much that thread really helped me out!!! Just what I needed thanks again
Old 07-24-2012, 07:12 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Lesley Aquino
scottyp99: First off I am NOT a dude, I am a lady and secondly I have never owned a car like this before she is my first and that being said I have never rebuilt or pulled an engine :period:. So I wanted to learn how and enlisted some help (obviously) as to not mess it up and that's what I have been saying since the beginning to the people that are helping me. However they keep insisting that doing something like that is doing double the work and wouldn't be worth the money or effort since I just plan on swapping them back....so that's why I came on this site to see if I can get a clearer picture on what I can do and not do. Thanks for the article as well its very helpful.

Thanks for your suggestion :-)
Oops! Sorry, should have noticed the name Lesley! The people helping you do have a point, but you have to take into consideration that there is a good chance that it will not be economically feasible to rebuild the original engine. I guess you could pull the engine and have it checked out, and if it is not recoverable, install the crate engine, but this will all take time, and it's the middle of driving season! Another school of thought says that if the original, numbers matching engine is so important, it should be saved, so that years down the road, it can be re-installed in the car to be sold. Even if the block can be saved, it can only be rebuilt so many times before it is used up. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
Old 07-24-2012, 10:08 PM
thiatt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use chain hoist hung from ceiling, then roll chaise out from under motor.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:44 AM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

I use chain hoist hung from ceiling, then roll chaise out from under motor.
I do the same. works for me. Mostly because I have a hoist but not a cherry picker.

Quick Reply: Help!!! 77' stingray