C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight switch

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 06:11 AM
Iron_dog
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Headlight switch

My headlight switch suddenly doesn't want to raise headlamps (I have to use the vacuum relay) and also it has been installed a custom **** that I want to replace. How to access to the switch in a painless mode? Thanks
Old 07-23-2012, 01:30 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,608 Posts

assuming you can get your hand up there, press **** release button, pull **** out, unscrew retaining bezel.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:09 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi ID,
Here's the access to the switch if you drop the steering column, and lower the pad.
Good Access, BUT, not painless.
Regards,
Alan

Old 07-23-2012, 02:34 PM
redrdstr72
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi ID,
Here's the access to the switch if you drop the steering column, and lower the pad.
Good Access, BUT, not painless.
Regards,
Alan

As Alan so correctly states "not painless". Have bandaids and a box of patience when you do this job. Lots of sharp edges in there and you have to reach in there to make the swap.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:22 PM
thiatt
Instructor

Seeing an open dash panel brings back nightmares make it go away;(
Old 07-24-2012, 02:31 AM
JohnRR
Burning Brakes

Received 284 Likes on 189 Posts

Iron Dog,
I just visited a Hydraulics supplier today and we talked about using a 12 Volt solenoid actuated air valve to eliminate the vacuum hoses that go to and from the head light switch. This air valve will also eliminate the two pilot actuated valves under the hood. The plan is to run a single wire from the hi-beam foot switch to the new air valve which will then apply vacuum to the two head light air cylinders. I'm hoping that this simple solution will work better than the complex stock system. And also reduce the number of places for a vacuum leak to occur.

I'll let you know how it all works out.

John
Old 07-24-2012, 12:13 PM
Iron_dog
Racer

Originally Posted by JohnRR
Iron Dog,
I just visited a Hydraulics supplier today and we talked about using a 12 Volt solenoid actuated air valve to eliminate the vacuum hoses that go to and from the head light switch. This air valve will also eliminate the two pilot actuated valves under the hood. The plan is to run a single wire from the hi-beam foot switch to the new air valve which will then apply vacuum to the two head light air cylinders. I'm hoping that this simple solution will work better than the complex stock system. And also reduce the number of places for a vacuum leak to occur.

John
Cool thank you, it seems a smart choice!!!
Old 07-24-2012, 12:30 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Iron Dog,

John
How will you lower the headlights and select between low beam and high beam? Will you also incorporate a manual override?

Given that the stock system worked perfectly for the first 20-30 years of a car's life and owners rarely troubleshoot properly (or at all) now that they're wearing out, I'm not sure I agree with the constant criticism of the OEM set up.

How many people have actually read and followed the sticky on this subject in order to learn how it works- vs. just took a guess at what's wrong and hoped for the best?
Old 07-24-2012, 12:39 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by thiatt
Seeing an open dash panel brings back nightmares make it go away;(

Old 07-24-2012, 02:38 PM
JohnRR
Burning Brakes

Mike,

How will you lower the headlights and select between low beam and high beam? Will you also incorporate a manual override?

The stock electrical power goes from the headlight switch to the hi/lo beam foot switch. I'll tap off the wire before the foot switch and run it to the solenoid which draws about 100mA. When the headlight switch is turned on, the solenoid will energize and the lights will pop up. The foot switch will still control the hi/lo beams. When the lights are turned off, the headlights will shut; just like stock. It would also be easy enough to put a switch somewhere to allow me to manually pop up the headlights.

How many people have actually read and followed the sticky on this subject in order to learn how it works- vs. just took a guess at what's wrong and hoped for the best?
When I got my Vette, the first thing I did was to get the headlights working properly. Dr. Rebuild has a great kit with very good instructions. Since then, I've made a lot of changes and felt that the electric solenoid was a better, simpler choice. Like I said before, it eliminates several sources of potential vacuum leaks. BTW, I also added the Speed Direct "Never Nites" headlight relay system to eliminate the headlight high current having to pass thru the fuse panel and the headlight switch. This mod supplies full voltage to the lights, and is super easy to install.

John
Old 07-24-2012, 02:45 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

When the lights are turned off, the headlights will shut; just like stock. It would also be easy enough to put a switch somewhere to allow me to manually pop up the headlights.
I believe you'll need a second solenoid to direct vacuum to the 'close' side of the actuators and the wiring and switch to go with it. Adding a switch to act an an override will also feed current to the headlamps with the design you've proposed.

Much easier to learn how the stock system works and just fix it.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:00 PM
doctorgene
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes Sir; Corvette Central sells a Troubleshooting the 1968-1982 Corvette Headlight & Wiper door Vacuum systems, that has 7 pages, of Understanding the System. & complete drawings of all the different years. Pretty easy to fix, once you read the articles. Have a great day. Gene
Old 07-25-2012, 04:07 AM
Iron_dog
Racer

Originally Posted by ...Roger...

Old 07-25-2012, 09:23 PM
JohnRR
Burning Brakes

I believe you'll need a second solenoid to direct vacuum to the 'close' side of the actuators and the wiring and switch to go with it.
The solenoid has 5 ports and is a spring return type. When power is removed, it will apply vacuum to the close side and vent the open side.

Adding a switch to act an an override will also feed current to the headlamps with the design you've proposed.
I'm no electrical expert, but I think a diode in the line by the foot switch will prevent current from trying to go in the wrong direction. On the other hand, I haven't owned this car long enough to understand why I might need a manual over ride.

John
Old 07-26-2012, 10:58 AM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 428 Likes on 323 Posts

I have been driving my 68 coupe for 40 years and 112,000 miles and I have not had that much trouble with my headlight system. The headlight switch ,yes, but everything else,no.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight switch

Quick Reply: Headlight switch