C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird Autometer Tach Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 10:29 PM
Silver00V6Camaro
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Weird Autometer Tach Problem

Ok I have a weird tach issue. I have had autometer gauges in my car for 7 years know and my tach has had a jumping/needle problem for about a year. When crusing it is fine just jumps a little at 3000 above depending on how fast I am going. But when I get on it and the rpms hit 6000 which is my redline the needle will go to zero or just be erratic until i get back to cruise speed. It its normal to about 60-70 mph, but anything after that is when it becomes erratic. Could my Accel HEI Super Coil be going or the tach. The gound is good along with the wiring.

Last edited by Silver00V6Camaro; 07-19-2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:36 AM
MFToes
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your connection at the alternator and make sure the alternator is working fine, thats where it gets part of its reading and if the alternator is old or not meant for that kind of load it would cause erratic readings like that, i had it happen to a classic truck of mine right before the alternator failed and i made it about a mile off the battery alone before it was caput.

Quick Reply: Weird Autometer Tach Problem