C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring and sensor help please..pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 09:05 AM
commander_47
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Wiring and sensor help please..pics

Trying to get everything back together in proper order and want to get a little advice/recommendations...etc to make sure I'm not doing anything more stupid than I've already done

I have a gen one small block 350 carved out to 383. It has vortec heads and a RPM air gap manifold.

The oil pressure sensor is supposed to go on the boss next to the distributor as far as I can tell. Is this the correct spot?

Shot at 2012-07-16

Secondly, I do not have the clock in my car, but rather, an oil temperature gauge. Can I use this boss above the oil filter for the temp gauge? Is there another place one can go?

Shot at 2012-07-16

Thirdly: I want to use the aux cooling fan, and originally there was a heat sensor on the passenger side head. Can I use this boss for the temp sensor for the fan? Also, can someone please verify which wires go to the solenoid. I am not sure which one goes to the longer medium size one all the way at the bottom?

Shot at 2012-07-16

Finally, where is the best place to put the water temp sensor?
Old 07-16-2012, 12:41 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

1 Yes
2 Yes
3 Yes
Water temp sensor on drivers side head
I think the bottom (in the pic) post gets the Purple wire from the ignition switch, it should be labeles S on the solenoid.
The large ring terminal wires (with the fuse links) go on the main terminal along with the battery cable.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:00 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I'd like to add,in your bottom pic I can see the double black wire with the large eye on it,don't do like many others and attach that to the starter solenoid, it is a ground and should go to one of the bellhousing bolts.

As Sixfooter says the purple wire goes to the S term,the S term will be the one closest to the block,the long one at the bottom of your pic is the R term and you won't use that one (assuming you have HEI).

The GM book shows the oil pressure switch going in either location,the elect troubleshooting section shows the press switch down by the oil filter and the main section shows it up under the dist.
I can't find any reference in the book to the oil temp sender.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:27 AM
commander_47
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks for the replies. This helps me greatly.

I really don't want to turn the key on my new motor and immediately see smoke!!!!

Yes, I do have an HEI dis.

My AIM has the oil pressure switch under the dist and the oil temp above the oil filter. I've been lead to believe that on many SBC the oil pressure gauge uses the boss above the oil filter. But I'm not going to do that.

The last issue appears to be an old one.

The vortec head bosses for the aux fan and coolant gauge are a different thread size than the original. All sorts of solutions from retapping the head to using later model switches with different impedence, to using brass adaptors that give up to a five degree false reading.

I have heard there is a volvo sensor that works, but don't know which one.

Any thoughts on the coolant sensors? The aux fan is a two wire spade connection and the coolant gauge, I believe, is one wire.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:22 AM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 582 Likes on 504 Posts

The easy answer for me was to drill and tap the hole in the head to 1/2 npt, I was able to reuse the sensor that I knew worked with my gauge and not hunt and hope for something else to function correctly.

Get notified of new replies

To Wiring and sensor help please..pics

Quick Reply: Wiring and sensor help please..pics