C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust leak or not

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 12:11 PM
C3 Vette Dude
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust leak or not

I have a ticking noise on the drivers side rear part of the motor. I have replaced all the lifters, (hydraulic) tightened the rockers and it is not touching or taping the valve covers. I think the tapping noise is coming from the exhaust manifold. I'm not sure how to check it. Any suggestions and how easy is it to replace the gasket?
Old 07-11-2012, 12:26 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

You dont mention what year but you may have a heat riser with a blown gasket. The manifold does not use a gasket.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:36 PM
C3 Vette Dude
Instructor

Sorry about that. 1979 will the heat riser make a ticking noise like the manifold. Thanks.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:48 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

yes, you should be able to isolate the noise to it's source. Try a piece of rubber hose held near your ear and hold other end near the area of the noise till you pinpoint it.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:53 PM
C3 Vette Dude
Instructor

I will try that tonight. Thanks.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:32 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Sounds familiar (no pun intended). You will probably find that your donut gasket looks like this (ignore black hose, that is another story). I blew two last summer until I figured out that the exhaust pipe did not have the steel sleeve insert to protect the gasket. That been remedied along with a trio of new studs.

Last edited by Paul L; 07-11-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:59 AM
C3 Vette Dude
Instructor

I didn't get to that last night. I am in the process of fixing a rear main seal that i just replaced a couple of days ago. I either install it wrong or the kind of seal (2900) not the one to use. After talking ot some folks on the forum the best to use is the (2912) seal. It has a bigger lip on it and seals better. That is my goal tonight! I will let you know.Thank you
Old 07-12-2012, 01:03 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by MelWff
yes, you should be able to isolate the noise to it's source. Try a piece of rubber hose held near your ear and hold other end near the area of the noise till you pinpoint it.

It sounds kinda wacky, but if you have never tried it before, you will be amazed at how well you will be able to pinpoint where a sound is coming from using this technique. I have an old piece of 5/8" hose that I have hanging around for just this purpose. Doesn't matter how long the hose is, either, it'll work just as well. Well, OK, maybe if the hose was a mile long, it might not work so well, but, c'mon, now we're just getting ridiculous! Good luck!

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
Old 07-12-2012, 01:46 PM
C3 Vette Dude
Instructor

Originally Posted by scottyp99

It sounds kinda wacky, but if you have never tried it before, you will be amazed at how well you will be able to pinpoint where a sound is coming from using this technique. I have an old piece of 5/8" hose that I have hanging around for just this purpose. Doesn't matter how long the hose is, either, it'll work just as well. Well, OK, maybe if the hose was a mile long, it might not work so well, but, c'mon, now we're just getting ridiculous! Good luck!

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
Thanks, I will try that tonight.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:59 AM
Ralphbf
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by scottyp99

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
I like to use a vacuum hose that just fits in my ear.
A piece that is as long as my arm is perfect for locating leaks and ticking noises. Just run one end around the manifolds with the other end stuck in your ear.

3 or 4 dollars investment and if needed you can still use it as vacuum line.

Ralph
Old 07-23-2012, 02:08 PM
C3 Vette Dude
Instructor

Ok, I used a 5/8 hose and it worked (old home remedies work). I located the loudest tick. On the drivers side at the back of the motor. The noise is at it's loudest was when the hose is over the rear exhaust manifold area. It almost sounds mechanical. Could it be cracked or lose? The manifold has that protector on it so I could only listen to the top of that. If I squeeze the hose between the lip of the valve cover and the exhaust protector it's really loud. What do I do now?
Old 07-23-2012, 02:46 PM
C3 Vette Dude
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ralphbf
I like to use a vacuum hose that just fits in my ear.
A piece that is as long as my arm is perfect for locating leaks and ticking noises. Just run one end around the manifolds with the other end stuck in your ear.

3 or 4 dollars investment and if needed you can still use it as vacuum line.

Ralph
Ok, I used a 5/8 hose and it worked (old home remedies work). I located the loudest tick. On the drivers side at the back of the motor. The noise is at it's loudest was when the hose is over the rear exhaust manifold area. It almost sounds mechanical. Could it be cracked or lose? The manifold has that protector on it so I could only listen to the top of that. If I squeeze the hose between the lip of the valve cover and the exhaust protector it's really loud. What do I do now? I have one other question. Will a cracked manifold make the motor use water. It does not run hot or any antifreeze smell. Sometimes after a week or two of driving I notice the water in the radiator is lower than before.

Last edited by C3 Vette Dude; 07-23-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:42 AM
C3 Vette Dude
Instructor

Default Exhaust leak or not? Need your advise

I'm not sure what to do first. I think it's the exhaust manifold but then it could be the donut gasket. What would you do 1st? Thanks
Old 07-24-2012, 11:26 AM
C3 Vette Dude
Instructor

Originally Posted by MelWff

Ok, I used a 5/8 hose and it worked (old home remedies work). I located the loudest tick. On the drivers side at the back of the motor. The noise is at it's loudest was when the hose is over the rear exhaust manifold area. It almost sounds mechanical. Could it be cracked or lose? The manifold has that protector on it so I could only listen to the top of that. If I squeeze the hose between the lip of the valve cover and the exhaust protector it's really loud. What do I do now? I have one other question. Will a cracked manifold make the motor use water. It does not run hot or any antifreeze smell. Sometimes after a week or two of driving I notice the water in the radiator is lower than before. Should I be concerned?
Old 07-24-2012, 11:27 AM
brando1118
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

C3 Vette Dude,
Do you have an automatic transmission? If so, a crack in the flexplate sounds just like an exhaust leak. Also if you've moved or manipulated your dust shield at all, if you have a stick, then that could be hitting something as well.
Good Luck.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:33 AM
C3 Vette Dude
Instructor

Originally Posted by brando1118
C3 Vette Dude,
Do you have an automatic transmission? If so, a crack in the flexplate sounds just like an exhaust leak. Also if you've moved or manipulated your dust shield at all, if you have a stick, then that could be hitting something as well.
Good Luck.
It's an automatic transmission. Where is that located and how do I check that? Thanks! Flexplate

Last edited by C3 Vette Dude; 07-24-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:36 PM
brando1118
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C3 Vette Dude
It's an automatic transmission. Where is that located and how do I check that? Thanks! Flexplate

It's located between the engine block and the transmission inside the bellhousing. You need to take the dust cover off at the bottom next to the rear of the oil pan. Then you will see the flywheel and torque converter. To test, unbolt the fly wheel from the torque converter and gently push the converter away from the flywheel. Then fire up the motor and listen for the sound. If it's gone, then you've found your culprit. And no disrespect, but if you don't know where your flexplate/flywheel is located, please get a buddy who has car knowledge to help you. If there is no such buddy, take it to a trusted shop.
Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust leak or not

Old 07-24-2012, 01:45 PM
C3 Vette Dude
Instructor

I understand. I am pretty mechanically inclined. I just don't know all the terms or names. Now that you told me this. I know exactly where that is. I just replaced my rear main seal a couple of weeks ago and I had to remove that cover. That noise seems to be coming from the top (back) (drivers side) of the motor. Can that tick noise travel to where I hear the tick. I thought at first it was a valve tick and since then I adjusted all of those and now I am here.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:33 PM
C3 Vette Dude
Instructor

Do i just start taking the manifold off to see whats going on,or do I take the donut gasket out first. What should I do? I'm trying to do this the easiest way possible. Thanks in advanced!
Old 07-25-2012, 09:12 PM
McVette
Racer

well correct me if I am wrong but a donut is like 3 or 4 bucks and takes like 10 minutes to replace....i would try that first if it was me

Quick Reply: Exhaust leak or not