C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What amp fuse for taillights?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 04:59 PM
Stooney
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What amp fuse for taillights?

A while back I had a fuse go out on my taillights and threw a 20a in it's place not really thinking much of it. Turns out of I have a short somewhere, which I will find, but I don't remember what the original fuse's amps were and can't seem to find it via Google.

Also, I've read I should connect a 12v light bulb in place of the fuse while finding the short. How does one go about putting a bulb in place of the fuse?
Old 07-05-2012, 12:29 AM
1986coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think what you mean is a 12volt test light in place of the fuse.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:24 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Your 1980 uses a 20 amp fuse for the TAIL fuse(as do most if not all C3s).
Old 07-05-2012, 08:11 AM
Xterrable
Racer

Stooney - I am going throught the same thing right now. My dash/parking lights keep going out. But not immediatly. Some times a fuse lasts a few minutes, replace it and do nothing else, and it might last 6 months.

The fuse I have in there now was installed in October 2011. I went through most of the dash wires this weekend and didnt find anything obvious. Took the car for a ride it it blew after having the lights on for about 1 minute. This is really bugging me.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:42 PM
Stooney
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Xterrable
Stooney - I am going throught the same thing right now. My dash/parking lights keep going out. But not immediatly. Some times a fuse lasts a few minutes, replace it and do nothing else, and it might last 6 months.

The fuse I have in there now was installed in October 2011. I went through most of the dash wires this weekend and didnt find anything obvious. Took the car for a ride it it blew after having the lights on for about 1 minute. This is really bugging me.
Yep, that's my exact situation. I'm not even sure where to start. I'm not very technically inclined on the electrical side of things.

Get notified of new replies

To What amp fuse for taillights?

Quick Reply: What amp fuse for taillights?