C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is considered factory engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 10:42 PM
corzatrr
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is considered factory engine

quick question. I'm looking to purchase a vette with numbers matching engine block, correct intake, carbs. However...The heads are Aluminum Edelbrock.

From a perspective of someone who wants to keep this vette for many years as an appreciating car..would this still be considered a 'factory engine' anymore?
Old 06-28-2012, 11:36 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

I don't see how it could be considered the factory original engine. Can't really see how that would cause it to depreciate though. Heads aren't stamped with the car VIN so you can always find the appropriate heads for it.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:37 PM
gve
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 204 Posts

You would need the original heads or you could find some original heads with the correct casting # to be a true factory engine. Anyone who wanted to buy your car with a factory engine would want all of the engine to be original.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:28 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi c,
The are zillions of opinions about "factory engine"!!!!
In my mind in addition to the "casting numbers" gve mentioned, I'd think the heads should have "casting dates" consistant with when the engine was built... which is stamped on the engine pad.
There are lots of other parts on the engine that would/should have appropriate casting/part numbers and dates too.
Regards,
Alan
Old 06-29-2012, 07:30 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Since the engine has been modified with [at least] new heads, you should not pay any premium for a 'matching numbers' vehicle...unless the seller has all the original parts and they are still servicible (in good shape or can be repaired with normal methods). If the original heads were damaged or discarded, you no longer have a complete engine.

P.S. Chances are the seller also changed out the camshaft and who knows what else in that engine. And, that was all done to make more power. And, you know what that means...lots of WOT use.

No "factory correct" car, anymore....
Old 06-29-2012, 08:00 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm with "7T1", as the car's no longer the way it was manufactured from the factory. If the seller includes all of the original parts, then no problem. The Edelbrock aluminum heads likely flow better than the originals, so if not done already, some additional carb tuning and timing set up, would surely help the whole package run better.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:54 AM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by corzatrr
quick question...would this still be considered a 'factory engine' anymore?
Mighty quick answer...NO.

BTW are all your questions quick questions or are there some that are regular and some that are slow?
Old 06-29-2012, 09:21 AM
randyredleg
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

What year is the car in question? For some of the more desirable years this might be a consideration, for others not so much. By "appreciating", do you mean enjoyment or increasing in value? It's probably a good idea not to look at most cars as investments.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:31 AM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 259 Likes on 207 Posts

i would say it is 'original engine block' and leave it at that
Old 06-29-2012, 10:44 AM
dmrodco
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

apparently according to every chevy ad i have seen every car has a CORVETTE engine which must mean there are no corvettes with original motors cause there are WAY more corvette motors that actual production number corvettes i have enven seen boats listed with CORVETTE motors
Old 06-29-2012, 11:04 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by dmrodco
apparently according to every chevy ad i have seen every car has a CORVETTE engine which must mean there are no corvettes with original motors cause there are WAY more corvette motors that actual production number corvettes i have enven seen boats listed with CORVETTE motors
Ya, and I've never figured out how most can be called a "Corvette motor" when it has be rebuilt with new pistons and rods and crank and heads and instake and cam and.....
Old 06-29-2012, 12:47 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by corzatrr
...would this still be considered a 'factory engine' anymore?...
Does it matter to you? If yes, pass on this one and keep looking. If no, moot point if you want the car and the changes made to it

Old 06-29-2012, 07:04 PM
dmrodco
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Ya, and I've never figured out how most can be called a "Corvette motor" when it has be rebuilt with new pistons and rods and crank and heads and instake and cam and.....
makes me laugh my butt off there are more CORVETTE motors than corvettes !!!!
Old 06-29-2012, 08:56 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

With the original block, assuming the partial VIN matches the vehicle VIN, you could truthfully say it's "matching numbers" by the definition used by many. The lack of original heads and intake may turn off some but not nearly as much as a non original block....
Old 06-30-2012, 04:46 AM
aaroncorvette
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

It depends what you want, i'd prefer a set of ali heads over the heavy stock items. but that's just me.

What engine is it? If it's a rare engine the correct parts are what makes the car rare (427, LT1 etc) if it's just a run of the mill motor ( like mine, '71 350) then I wouldn't worry too much, GM made millions of the things and I personally wouldn't pay any more for a 'matching numbers' run of the mill car ( especially if it's a post '71 low compression engine), mine's got a Chevelle 350, i'm cool with that as it's still a SBC.

Like others said, you could always pick up a set of stock heads somewhere if you wanted.

If you like the car then buy it, there's plenty of other potential pitfalls to look at when buying a Corvette, birdcage, crash damage etc....

Get notified of new replies

To what is considered factory engine

Quick Reply: what is considered factory engine