C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing mark out 180 degrees

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 07:21 PM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by billla
I think everyone's made their observations about what the issue is, and I addressed this in my comments. We all seem to have a different take on what's happening.

I think everyone would agree that an hour's investment in troubleshooting to see if the issue can be resolved simply is better than just diving in and pulling the balancer and the front cover, fair? If what I suggested doesn't work then the more invasive troubleshooting can go from there. Worst case, wasted hour
Guaranteed wasted hour. You can't answer my question. This is common sense, just think about it.

#1 cannot fire at BDC, and this is what the timing light is saying is happening. There is no other explanation other than the balancer has spun.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:27 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by bashcraft
Guaranteed wasted hour. You can't answer my question. This is common sense, just think about it.

#1 cannot fire at BDC, and this is what the timing light is saying is happening. There is no other explanation other than the balancer has spun.
There are a number of explanations. I can create the exact same symptom simply by walking spark plug wires around the cap and I've seen people do that. We have different interpretations of what's happening.

I can certainly answer your question, and have - see my comment regarding companion cylinders and the relationship to cam timing. You might not agree that it's an answer, or that it's common sense - but there's my answer.

The OP is a smart guy and has all the recommendations - he can decide what he wants to do.

Last edited by billla; 06-22-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:46 PM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by billla
I can certainly answer your question, and have - see my comment regarding companion cylinders and the relationship to cam timing. You might not agree that it's an answer, or that it's common sense - but there's my answer.
You're right, that's not an answer.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:55 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Should I let this go on.
You guys have me busting a gut here

The OP has already answered this for ya.

Hint #1- The balancer has not slipped

Hint #2- When #6 fires on the compression stroke, where is the crank key/balancer mark?
Old 06-22-2012, 09:07 PM
erieaddict
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Very good, again thanks for all the tips. tomorrow is the cobra show then familiy obligations. Sunday i am wide open, so i will do some tinkering on marking number 6 TDC and switching out the dizzy to number 1 to see what happens. I will make sure to take pictures and report back.
Thanks again guys!
Old 06-22-2012, 09:16 PM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by noonie
Hint #1- The balancer has not slipped
When was this established?
Old 06-22-2012, 09:20 PM
mds3013
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

It's all fun and games until somebody installs something 180 degrees out. I am totally confused. (easy to do) mike...
Old 06-22-2012, 09:25 PM
noonie
Race Director

Originally Posted by erieaddict
Very good, again thanks for all the tips. tomorrow is the cobra show then familiy obligations. Sunday i am wide open, so i will do some tinkering on marking number 6 TDC and switching out the dizzy to number 1 to see what happens. I will make sure to take pictures and report back.
Thanks again guys!
You can change it or leave it the way it is, just remember to always use #6, if you leave it as is.
As far as the rusted weights etc, carefully take things apart and clean them up, then lube the pins with a very little bit of points grease so they move freely. If they don't move freely, your timing advance is not working correctly.

When was this established?
OP said when he uses #6 wire with the lite, the marks show correctly.

Have a look at this diagram.

Name:  CamTimingFiring.jpg
Views: 4131
Size:  250.3 KB
Old 06-22-2012, 09:36 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

OMG- they're BOTH 180* out! Run for cover!
Old 06-22-2012, 09:43 PM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Have a look at this diagram.

And after one revolution of the crankshaft, everything is correct.

Explain to me how #1 cylinder can fire when the piston is at BDC.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:00 PM
noonie
Race Director

And after one revolution of the crankshaft, everything is correct.

Explain to me how #1 cylinder can fire when the piston is at BDC.
Actually the 1 and 6 firing are 2 strokes apart.
One crank revolution brings #1 up to TDC again.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:07 PM
mds3013
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

OK. #1 is at TDC exhaust instead of #1 compression. This makes #6 TDC compression when it would normally be at #6 TDC exhaust? This is exhausting. mike...
Old 06-22-2012, 10:07 PM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Actually the 1 and 6 firing are 2 strokes apart.
One crank revolution brings #1 up to TDC again.
Exactly, so one more time, explain to me how #1 cylinder can fire when the piston is at BDC.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:13 PM
noonie
Race Director

Exactly, so one more time, explain to me how #1 cylinder can fire when the piston is at BDC.
First, I don't see where you are getting #1 at BTC with the crank key at 1 o'clock (one revolution).
Old 06-22-2012, 10:18 PM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

First, I don't see where you are getting #1 at BTC with the crank key at 1 o'clock (one revolution).
The timing light is showing the balancer mark 180* off. That means the piston is at BDC.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:39 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

If the op listens to half the posters here, it won't even run when he's done the suggested repairs. Use common sense, the engine runs good now, when time permits, replace the ballancer. Some are overthinking the problem and getting confused. It's merely a coincenince that the ballancer happened to slip 180 deg.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:10 PM
noonie
Race Director

First of all, i have been lurking here for about 3 weeks learning about my 1978 corvette that i am just getting back out on the road after painting the body and redoing the interior for the last year.
This is a great resource and i thank the admin folks for a terrific site.
In reading this site i decided to move ahead with a timing advance curve kit. I purchased, cap, rotor, wires, coil, plugs and advanced kit. I figured i would check the timing, vacuum and idle before tearing into it.
My car is a l48 350 auto, pretty much all stock except for headers and a true dual exhaust. i did have my carb rejetted do to the new exhaust. the car starts, runs smoothly at all rpms and also starts fine warm, no pinging.
Back to the issue, when i took a reading of the timing with the vacuum disconnected and plugged at the advance can, i could not see the timing mark. i shut her down, rotated the crank and cleaned off the timing mark and put a dab of yellow paint on the groove. Started the engine back up and still couldn't see the timing mark. if i move the timing gun over to the right side of the motor, i can see the timing mark. It is like it is out by 180 degrees. i am sure i have the inducter on spark plug #1, the first plug on the left side, what could i be missing to get my tinming mark back to the timing tag? Thanks in advance!
To some posters, thank you for your insightful comments, to others, make sure to stop by the pill cart when it comes around.
I fired her up this afternoon and got out my timing light. Idle is at 600 or so with the vacuum can disconnected. i moved the pickup around to each spark plug and sure enough, # 6 wire is where i get my timing mark to line up. I have about 10 dgrees timing right now. i poped the cap off and if i line up the timing mark to TDC, the rotor points to number 6 wire. very interesting! The strange thing is that the motor runs great, easy starts both cold and warm, no detonation and my plugs are a nice tan color. If the cam is out 180, i think i will just leave it untill winter, it has only been this way for the last 4 years i have had the car, Maybe if i get rambuctious, i will pop off the main drive pully and check the dampner,
I dont claim to be an expert by any means, but i didnt think the engine would run that well with the cam out 180 degrees
The timing light is showing the balancer mark 180* off. That means the piston is at BDC.
I assume you're referring to his first post. I have yet to see a sbc where I could see timing marks at all 180° off by looking to the right of the engine, especially if it's 10° advanced as he confirmed later.

He admits it has run well for 4 years and confirmed accurate timing by #6 cyl.

You choose which reference holds more weight.
After all this is long distance, sight unseen, internet diagnosis.

As mentioned here; and I may add that it is also timed well using #6
Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Is it possible that the damper could have slipped exactly 180 degrees out of position...and then continue to stay right there? Yes. Is it likely? About as likely as me winning the Powerball tonight.

Get notified of new replies

To Timing mark out 180 degrees

Old 06-22-2012, 11:24 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

Hint: When #6 fires, the crankshaft will be 360 deg from when #1 fires. The info from the op is conflicting. If the timing mark is 180 deg off when the light is hooked up near the #1 plug, then he states it is correct when hooked up to #6, this is the conflict. I suspect he had the light hooked up to #4 or #7 when the mark was in the correct location.
If I'm wrong please explain it to me ,it would'nt be the first time.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:39 PM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

I assume you're referring to his first post. I have yet to see a sbc where I could see timing marks at all 180° off by looking to the right of the engine, especially if it's 10° advanced as he confirmed later.
Correct, but it may not be exactly 180* off.

He admits it has run well for 4 years and confirmed accurate timing by #6 cyl. You choose which reference holds more weight.
After all this is long distance, sight unseen, internet diagnosis.

As mentioned here; and I may add that it is also timed well using #6
And your point? If the balancer spun, that would have no effect on performance.

You still haven"t answered my question.

How #1 cylinder can fire when the piston is at BDC?
Old 06-23-2012, 12:05 AM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,069 Posts

I can't believe I'm getting sucked back in here

Forget about the cam, pull it out and put it on the bench.
Forget about the gears, put them on the bench.
Forget about the distributor, on the bench.
Just the crank and pistons, heck, take out all the pistons except #1
Spin the crank until the piston is at the top. Stop there.
That can only be one of two events
1.. Compressed and ready to fire
2.. Done pushing the exhausted fuel out
Rotate the crank one turn and it's back to the top again doing the other thing, but it's still at the top.

Everyone can agree on that, one turn of the crank = one trip down and up, the piston back to the top

Now put the balancer on.

Chev used 2 balancers, (maybe 3 not sure) most were timed at about the 1-2 o-clock location, I think some of the 305 were at the 12 o-clock, the timing tabs were different.
Even if it was the wrong tab it's somewhere around 12 to 2 o-clock

Lets go with it being the right one for a 350 and put it around 2 o-clock
The keyway on the crank located the harmonic balancer in only 1 place and one place only (key pretty much points at the mark).

The timing line is at 0 when the piston is at the top, regardless of what it's doing there
One trip around is still one trip down and back up. That line has to be on the tab when the piston is at the top.

Put the cam in, either right or 180 out, really it doesn't matter. Pick whichever you want.

Put in the distributor with it ready to fire Number #1

Maybe we are right, maybe we are out 180 on the dist. Doesn't matter.

Hook up the timing light to #1 wire.

Spin the engine over, #1 gets juice, light comes on.
Either it's right and the piston has compressed the fuel. Piston is at the top, line is on the tab
Or it's wrong, exhaust stroke just finishing. Piston is still at the top, line is still on the tab

Regardless of the cam being right or out 180, and regardless of the distributor orientation, when #1 fires, #1 piston has to be at the top, line has to be on the tab (or out a few inches if it's the wrong balancer)

If it's way out (180)

No key in the crank/balancer (possible, seems unlikely)
Outer ring on the balancer spun (probable, happens to lots of people, (not me personally) , especially if the engine has seen some higher rpms')

Now maybe there is some aftermarket balancer with different or multiple keyways. Maybe some aftermarket crank with the key somewhere else for some reason. I don't know.
All of this is based on regular GM stuff
Mooser

Quick Reply: Timing mark out 180 degrees