C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Champion Radiator - C3 factory brackets don't look right - see pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 05:00 PM
Iggycat2009
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Champion Radiator - C3 factory brackets don't look right - see pics

As part of the restoration on my C3 the factory radiator was replaced with a champion radiator. It fits into the space as it should but the top is not rounded off like the factory radiator and the upper mounts don't secure it firmly in place. The radiator appears to be loose. I didn't replace the factory foam that surrounds the radiator as it shows in the book and the car didn't come with any foam with the old radiator.

Is there an upper mount used for a champion radiator thats different than factory? The Champion radiator has a 1 1/2" rib running across the top.

Click on the link and you'll see the pictures of what I'm talking about.

http://pix.kg/p/574043873507%3A567024824/sct

Thoughts?

Mike
Old 06-16-2012, 06:59 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I got some heater hose , the appropriate size, and slid it over the mounts , upper and lower, till I can hunt down some nice thick foam. not perfect but for temp. it works. if you split the hose it will conform to the mount better
Old 06-16-2012, 10:04 PM
77vetteluva
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What model radiator did you buy? I just bought a Champion and it looks different than yours(see pic). I did have a similar problem though. I used a new razor knife and customized the mounting rubbers and it made the fit better but not perfect. With everything hooked up it fits tight.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:48 AM
Iggycat2009
Racer

Originally Posted by 77vetteluva
What model radiator did you buy? I just bought a Champion and it looks different than yours(see pic). I did have a similar problem though. I used a new razor knife and customized the mounting rubbers and it made the fit better but not perfect. With everything hooked up it fits tight.
I believe you have the same one - your picture shows the bottom of the radiator, not the top. You should have a rib going across the top portion which is centered & running along the entire length of radiator. The rib is about 1 to 1 1/4". The upper radiator (horseshoe mounts as I call them) creates a gap under them and doesn't appear to secure the radiator in place the way to should. I figured someone would have a quick fix but I'm beginning to think I'll have to live with it. Not sure about adding rubber under the mounts to compensate considering it may not look all that good. Looking to see if someone had an idea/method of making it look correct and functional.

What are you guys using for lower a lower pad thats mounted between the lower radiator and support?

Mike
Old 06-17-2012, 09:04 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

mine looks like yours, top and bottom, the lower stock pad works fine on mine as do the side pads. 'spose we got 3 versions of the same radiator
Old 06-17-2012, 09:10 AM
69small block
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default rad

Dewitts
Old 06-17-2012, 09:35 AM
Iggycat2009
Racer

Originally Posted by oldalaskaman
mine looks like yours, top and bottom, the lower stock pad works fine on mine as do the side pads. 'spose we got 3 versions of the same radiator
OK, so I'll order the pads which will help keep the radiator positioned and live with the top mounts. With all the time and detail I've put into this car the one thing that bothers the crap out of me are the mounts. You see them as soon as the hood is opened. I played with it again last night and I think I have it pretty much stable.

Mike
Old 06-17-2012, 09:35 AM
Iggycat2009
Racer

Originally Posted by 69small block
Dewitts
What does this mean?

Mike
Old 06-17-2012, 10:19 AM
77vetteluva
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Iggy - I realize this is the bottom but it looks exactly the same on top. I can post a pic if I need to. This one was already in the laptop. Mine is a 4 core. Maybe that is the difference.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:16 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Iggycat2009
What does this mean?

Mike
he's saying the dewitts are designed to fit like the oe in the top mounts.....but they cost a bit more
Old 06-17-2012, 11:20 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Iggy - I realize this is the bottom but it looks exactly the same on top. I can post a pic if I need to. This one was already in the laptop. Mine is a 4 core. Maybe that is the difference.
bought a genisis for my C4 that looks like yours, they probably changed versions in the production sometime.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:43 AM
Red 69
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I bought a new Champion 4 row aluminum radiator from a reseller on fleabay. My car's frame horns needed to be notched for clearance and the OEM upper radiator mounts did not come close to fitting. Top mounting brackets had to be custom fabricated from aluminum and the stock rubber cushions did not work, top or bottom. New cushions were bough from Jegs and needed to be ground out to conform to the Champion radiator with a stone in a drill. After mounting, I discovered the hood did not close because the square corner of the radiator driver side hit the underside of the stock hood. The fiberglass needed to be ground out for clearance and then glassed over. So much for an advertised direct fit radiator by Champion. It appears your radiator is smaller and not with all the same problems I encountered. My radiator look similar to Iggycat's radiator, but apparently larger.

Also, I planned on cooling my trans with the radiator, but the trans line bungs were a female 3/8ths inverted flair carburetor thread, but seemed to be metric. I couldn't find any AN or otherwise fitting to fit the bung and make a seal, so I needed to mount a separate cooler for the trans. The instillation of the radiator took me longer than any other project on the car, and everything has been redone. Half way through, the additional cost of a real direct fit radiator started to look real cheap!

Last edited by Red 69; 06-17-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:06 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

you should've took it back and got the right one
Old 06-17-2012, 07:28 PM
mikejpss
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

O'Reillys sold me a new direct replacement for my 80 model. Made in Mexico. 1 year warranty. Direct bolt in, no issues at all. $175 out the door.Been 16 months, still looks and works fine.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:24 PM
Iggycat2009
Racer

I have the exact same 4 core radiator you have. Was told it would fit the 76 C3 w/o any issues. I did notice I have to grind some metal back on the passenger side where the lower hose extension hangs up when trying to fit the radiator.

Mike
Old 06-17-2012, 11:45 PM
Iggycat2009
Racer

Originally Posted by Red 69
I bought a new Champion 4 row aluminum radiator from a reseller on fleabay. My car's frame horns needed to be notched for clearance and the OEM upper radiator mounts did not come close to fitting. Top mounting brackets had to be custom fabricated from aluminum and the stock rubber cushions did not work, top or bottom. New cushions were bough from Jegs and needed to be ground out to conform to the Champion radiator with a stone in a drill. After mounting, I discovered the hood did not close because the square corner of the radiator driver side hit the underside of the stock hood. The fiberglass needed to be ground out for clearance and then glassed over. So much for an advertised direct fit radiator by Champion. It appears your radiator is smaller and not with all the same problems I encountered. My radiator look similar to Iggycat's radiator, but apparently larger.

Also, I planned on cooling my trans with the radiator, but the trans line bungs were a female 3/8ths inverted flair carburetor thread, but seemed to be metric. I couldn't find any AN or otherwise fitting to fit the bung and make a seal, so I needed to mount a separate cooler for the trans. The instillation of the radiator took me longer than any other project on the car, and everything has been redone. Half way through, the additional cost of a real direct fit radiator started to look real cheap!
WOW... After reading this post I called a friend of mine to come and take a look at what I have. He's a machinist and good with aluminum and will frabricate top brackets for the radiator that will fit my application. Glad you mentioned the hood clearance issue, I'll be checking for that.

I have a manual trans so I won't have the deal with the cooling issues.

I'm going to purchase 1/8" rubber for the lower portion of the radiator mount and glue it to the lower radiator support. It's should cushion the radiator well and keep it from sliding around. I'll purchase foam and cut to fit the sides of the radiator/shroud and replicate the factory look for a tight seal. Thanks for the information.

Mike
Old 06-17-2012, 11:50 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Iggycat2009
I have the exact same 4 core radiator you have. Was told it would fit the 76 C3 w/o any issues. I did notice I have to grind some metal back on the passenger side where the lower hose extension hangs up when trying to fit the radiator.

Mike
if you insert it at an angle, that corner first, you dont have to grind.

Get notified of new replies

To Champion Radiator - C3 factory brackets don't look right - see pics

Old 06-17-2012, 11:51 PM
Iggycat2009
Racer

Originally Posted by oldalaskaman
he's saying the dewitts are designed to fit like the oe in the top mounts.....but they cost a bit more
I didn't know Dewitts radiators existed.. Should have obviously done more homework.. Valuable lesson learned... I was told "the Champion radiator will fit your 76 C3 application, w/o any problems".

Thanks..

Mike
Old 06-17-2012, 11:54 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

dewitts is a forum vender and is on the site quite a bit. products and work quality are excellent, usually no issues with fit and good service
Old 06-17-2012, 11:59 PM
Iggycat2009
Racer

Thanks for all the help guys. Almost completed a frame-on restoration of my 76 C3 and it's starting to take shape. Restored everything on the car from front to rear over the last two years and it's certainly not the same car that pulled in my garage prior to tear down... I want to get the engine started and the radiator issues are holding things up. More to follow.

Great website, great feedback..

Much appreciated,

Mike

Quick Reply: Champion Radiator - C3 factory brackets don't look right - see pics