C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

With older engines that have constantly used "Dino" oil I wonder

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 10:03 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 146 Likes on 128 Posts

Default With older engines that have constantly used "Dino" oil I wonder

if there is any REAL benefit or advantage switching to synthetic oil?

What do you guys think........................
Old 06-16-2012, 10:06 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Not again.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:10 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Not again.

Sorry do you have a link?
Old 06-16-2012, 10:53 AM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Not again.

Mike, such astute observations are why we keep you around.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:31 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Not again.
There are always new people who have new questions.

Not all are old, tired fartz who are a naysayer.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:51 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

The advantages of full synthetic (good quality synthetic) vs. good quality organic oil are many and well documented:

Better film strength; longer 'working' life; more heat tolerant; better lubricity; lower oxidation rate; etc, etc.

Some "downsides" [depending on how you look at it]: More costly; smaller molecular size (will find existing leak paths that do not leak organic oil) {Note: Synthetic oil will not CAUSE leakage.}; most synthetic oils do not contain elevated levels of zinc, as needed for older performance engines with highly loaded, flat tappet valvetrains.

There is no question that mechanical component durability and reliability are enhanced when full synthetic oil is chosen over organic oil. Nearly all major auto manufacturers install/recommend synthetic oils for their cars now. And no manufacturer would include more costly materials in their products if they provided no tangible benefit.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:34 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
The advantages of full synthetic (good quality synthetic) vs. good quality organic oil are many and well documented:

Better film strength; longer 'working' life; more heat tolerant; better lubricity; lower oxidation rate; etc, etc.

Some "downsides" [depending on how you look at it]: More costly; smaller molecular size (will find existing leak paths that do not leak organic oil) {Note: Synthetic oil will not CAUSE leakage.}; most synthetic oils do not contain elevated levels of zinc, as needed for older performance engines with highly loaded, flat tappet valvetrains.

There is no question that mechanical component durability and reliability are enhanced when full synthetic oil is chosen over organic oil. Nearly all major auto manufacturers install/recommend synthetic oils for their cars now. And no manufacturer would include more costly materials in their products if they provided no tangible benefit.

Thanks for taking the time to give me a full explanation. I know that this topic has been covered before but I just wanted to get some additional insight on the reason's why.

I guess my biggest question was the true benefit of synthetic oil on an engine that was run a full life on miles on dino oil.

I am Not a newbie, just have not been aroung for a while
Old 06-16-2012, 09:51 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks
Mike, such astute observations are why we keep you around.

I got a note from the admins that I was falling behind on points for my annual Mr. Nasty award. Thought I'd catch up a bit and see who'd take the bait at the same time.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:23 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think a more fair question, would be oil back in the 60's vs todays oils. Any type of modern oil is formulated much better in preventing sludge build up than 60's oils. I've been using syn oil in all my cars for years now. What first sold me on it, is how much easier the car cranks when sitting outside in sub zero weather. I just check for sales on name brands, and stock up on the stuff. My C5 and now C6 spec Mobil 1 in the manual, so what I use. Biggest thing about syn, it's chemically engineered from the beginning to lubricate engines, needing a lower volume of additives. Dino oil contains a larger volume of additives, that tend to wear off a little sooner. Certainly nothing at all wrong with good quality dino oil, especially if you change it at low milage intervals, like most Vette' owners do. Some say switching older engines to syn tends show leaks. If that's the case, engine probably needs all new gaskets anyway. All my engines are either late model, or rebuilt with new gaskets. Never had a problem.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:00 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

It doesn't matter what oil you used to run in your engine. There is no "residual effect" from the oil you've been using. If you have organic oil in it, the engine will experience whatever benefits/downsides that organic oil provides; likewise, with synthetic oil.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:24 AM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Alwyn678
if there is any REAL benefit or advantage switching to synthetic oil?

What do you guys think...
Not for a guy like me who only puts a few hundred to a few thousand miles on his engine during the spring/summer/autumn driving season. What good does extended drain intervals do when I put in new oil and filter before it gets put to bed for its long winter's nap?
Old 06-18-2012, 02:07 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Let me put it this way: Using synthetic oil in an internal combustion engine could provide it with a 30-50% [or more] longer life span. If you assume that an engine is in decent condition {you can't put syntetic oil in a "junk" engine and have it magically tranformed into a long-lived beauty }, that it has always had dino oil in it and you now put synthetic oil in it, the engine will see 30-50% more life for whatever time the synthetic oil is circulating through its "veins".
Old 06-18-2012, 02:17 PM
myoriginal77
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Every time I have tried to switch, there has ALWAYS been a leak that was not there before. Sometimes switching back fixed it, sometimes not.

Any good conventional oil should be fine for any car currently using it, and to prevent any issues I would stick with regular oil.

Frank
Old 06-18-2012, 02:49 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

The leak path was there before. But, the larger molecule dino oil wouldn't "fit" through that 'hole'. With a smaller molecular size, synthetic oil will fit through that hole.

But, that's not the fault of the type of oil; that's the fault of the gasketing which has an "available" leak path. Seal the leak paths properly, and NO oil will leak from it.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:10 PM
chevymans 77
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 95 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'11,'13-'14,'16,'18,'19

I’m not sure that the molecular structure is smaller with synthetic vs dino oil. Dino oil is more of a range of molecular structure (small to large). This also lends to a higher volatility rate for Dino than synthetic.

Synthetic oil is formulated to be closer to similar size in molecular structure. An example I’ve seen many time is to take different size ball bearings and put them on a flat surface, which would represent Dino oils now take ball bearings close to the same size and that would represent synthetic oil.

Neal
Old 06-18-2012, 06:09 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Whatever you think....
Old 06-18-2012, 06:21 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Leaks typically come from synthetics having a higher solvency - seals have deposits on them that synthetic oil removes...and a leak results.

Solvency isn't a bad thing - it's the same thing that keeps an engine incredibly clean and sluge-free inside - but it can be a problem with old and/or marginal seals. I haven't see it happen on engines that are still tight and bone dry...but I have seen it on engines that had some very small and pesky leaks that became fairly significant after the switch to synthetic.

With extended drain intervals, the cost is about a wash between synthetic and dino. I won't enter the fray on other benefits, but in engines running a steady diet of synthetics for a period of time I have definitely seen less-than-expected wear and engines that are absolutely spotless inside on teardown.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:17 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There's no real benefit to switching to synthetic oil for older engines if you maintain your engine properly.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:39 AM
Ralphbf
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used Mobil 1 for years.

I changed oil when the gas mileage fell off.
I was getting 2-3mpg more with Mobil 1 than with Castrol GTX.

I now use Castrol EDGE with SYNTEC. It's suppose to be 7 times slicker than Mobil 1.

Ralph

Get notified of new replies

To With older engines that have constantly used "Dino" oil I wonder

Quick Reply: With older engines that have constantly used "Dino" oil I wonder