C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vette exploded!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 09:22 PM
csierp
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vette exploded!

Exaggerated subject.
Was driving on the interstate, going ~90mph when loud pop -> white smoke engulfed my c3 -> gas pool on my header -> all my motor oil pooling on the asphalt.
Just got it towed home.
First thought; I blew a header... but I'm not too sure...
Any advice?
Old 06-01-2012, 09:35 PM
csierp
Heel & Toe

back story - I've had her for about 3 weeks... was in perfect order for about a week, then had difficulty turning over - had to hold the gas pedal down to start from cold. Also, the cockpit has been smelling very heavily of gasoline for the past two weeks.
Maybe related.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:39 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Could be an oil filter seal, fuel line could be anything
Need to get underneath and take a good look
Old 06-01-2012, 09:40 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

So was it gasoline or oil on the header? were on the header was the fluid? Can you turn the engine over by hand? Was there any knocking sounds from the engine when this happened?
MIKE80
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by csierp
back story - I've had her for about 3 weeks... was in perfect order for about a week, then had difficulty turning over - had to hold the gas pedal down to start from cold. Also, the cockpit has been smelling very heavily of gasoline for the past two weeks.
Maybe related.
Ummmm... This doesn't sound good...
csierp
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Could be an oil filter seal, fuel line could be anything
Need to get underneath and take a good look
Thanks, will do in the morning + photos
Old 06-01-2012, 09:41 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Passenger side and just how much oil was running out??? Maybe the fuel pump blew apart or it could be something much worse. All the oil leaking out after the engine is shut down would indicate a hole in the pan. Anything that makes holes in the pan is bad.

Last edited by lionelhutz; 06-01-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:50 PM
csierp
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by bluedawg
So was it gasoline or oil on the header? were on the header was the fluid? Can you turn the engine over by hand? Was there any knocking sounds from the engine when this happened?
It all happened suddenly... I think there may have been a knock.
In the morning i'll take photos and point out where the gasoline was pooled, right beside the air filter. All the oil was below/on the side of the motor - I'm not sure if it is only oil though.
I haven't attempted to turn the engine over yet.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:54 PM
csierp
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Passenger side and just how much oil was running out??? Maybe the fuel pump blew apart or it could be something much worse. All the oil leaking out after the engine is shut down would indicate a hole in the pan. Anything that makes holes in the pan is bad.
When I take off the air filter and pull on the acceleration lever* it pumps fuel OK... :-/
A LOT of oil... all over the accident spot, on the tow truck, now on my driveway...
A hole in the pan sounds possible.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:01 PM
LT-1 kid
Melting Slicks

Received 249 Likes on 172 Posts

sounds like you blew a rod though your oil pan,
Old 06-01-2012, 10:04 PM
csierp
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by LT-1 kid
sounds like you blew a rod though your oil pan,
That sounds bad. very bad.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:07 PM
69firebird
Instructor

It is, good thing though you can get a 350 bottom end pretty cheap
Old 06-01-2012, 11:32 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

You think that sounds bad? Wait till you hear this......

White smoke = coolant. So, we have coolant where it is not supposed to be. Not good.

Gasoline pooling on the header. I don't even know what the hell that means, but.....gasoline where it shouldn't be. Not good.

Oil pouring out. Not good.

If you have thrown a rod, there is a good chance that the entire bottom end is now junk. Not good.

Need more data! You are going to have to get under the car and do some detective work. You never know, it could be something easily fixed. I wouldn't bet the rent money on it, but it's possible.

Also, how do you blow a header? Wait, on second thought, don't answer that.......

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
Old 06-02-2012, 01:46 AM
csierp
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by scottyp99
Keep the shiny side up!
Well... I'm not dead.

I'll take a lot of photos when I can get under it tomorrow... /sigh
Old 06-02-2012, 02:10 AM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Well... I'm not dead.

I'll take a lot of photos when I can get under it tomorrow... /sigh
Hey, man, this ain't the psychic hotline. Ya can't just post "Hey, my engine blew up and there's gas and oil all over the place, what happened?" and expect an instant answer. We need a lot more info, and you are the one who has to provide that info, because you are the "man on the scene". I don't mean to sound like a jerk, that's just how it is, trying to figure something like this out over the internet. If we were there, and could crawl under and take a look, it would not take long to figure out what happened, but we are not there, and we need you to be our eyes and ears. Hang in there, buddy, and we will get this figured out! I gotta tell ya, though, that you should probably prepare yourself mentally for some bad news. This could get ugly.

If it turns out that you engine is toast, this would probably be your least expensive option:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-10067353/

It comes with a warrant and everything. Here's hoping for the best, I'm rooting for you, man!

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott

Last edited by scottyp99; 06-02-2012 at 02:18 AM.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:38 AM
Indiancreek
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Like Scottyp said, with what you know thus far, looks like you'll be replacing a bottom end at least. If you have no experience building an engine, or have tons of time, an engine from a supplier would be your best bet.
A friend who owns tools and has built an engine that hasn't blown up YET, or installed your water pump, is not concidered engine experience.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:28 AM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

Smelled gas for 2 weeks and didn't investigate, while driving it anyway? You're lucky you didn't burn the whole car up with you in it!! Maybe the blown engine has kept you alive.

Get notified of new replies

To Vette exploded!

Old 06-02-2012, 09:16 AM
MikeKey
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You're daily driving your Corvette aren't you...
Old 06-02-2012, 09:28 AM
Big Block Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

Based on your description, and all further inquiries, it is extremely unlikely that this will not fall into the category of "Catastrophic Failure"

Its one thing to get a bunch of smoke and the car remains running. Its another thing to be cranking out 90mph, hear a "pop", get a bunch of smoke. "All my motor oil pooling on the asphalt" Does that mean that the car did not continue to run after this incident, or that you shut if off on your own? Im guessing that the car didnt continue to run.

Your motor probably has a newly installed set of windows.

The one and only thing that someone mentioned, that would give you this mess, would be if the fuel pump completely came apart, dumping oil all over the place.

I sincerely hope that you have a wacky problem like that, but Im not that optimistic.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:30 AM
RobbSalzmann
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by scottyp99
Hey, man, this ain't the psychic hotline. Ya can't just post "Hey, my engine blew up and there's gas and oil all over the place, what happened?" and expect an instant answer.
Scotty, speak for yourself.

Out of concern and sympathy for my fellow CF member, I've consulted my trusted crystal ball.

After a gentle shake, I let the white stuff settle and can now see something. Yes it's all clear to me now... '75, your car has been through an interesting life. A variaty of colorful characters have been behind the wheel and in the right seat too.... ooo you might want to give that right seat a nice cleaning.

But that's not what we're looking for today. The engine, yes I can see the engine. Many colorful characters have worked on the engine. I can see one of them may have been the cause of your current dilemma. Yes, I see a bit of the future too! Many colorful characters will be involved in the diagnosis and repair of this engine.

To confirm this, I have consulted my ever insightful, always correct Magic Eight Ball. "Is this the answer we are loookinggg forrrr?" After at good shake, the Eight Ball tells us "The outlook is not so good".

Quick Reply: Vette exploded!