C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weatherstrip / Hardtop

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 12:46 PM
ATHANASE
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Weatherstrip / Hardtop

I am about to change the weatherstripping of my 1971 Hardtop so that I can use the hardtop on the car without ruining the paint (the old weather strips are original and worn out).
Any advice or tip on how to do that? Do I need any particular kind of tool? Is it pretty straightdforward or rather tricky?
Any piece of advice is welcome.
Thank you.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:21 PM
Sully1882
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

3m adhesive remover. Works great!

Sully
Old 06-01-2012, 10:09 PM
redrdstr72
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts

I did this job over the past winter without ANY issues. Take your time, removing the old weather stripping and then clean well as has been already suggested here. I think I used pliers and a small screwdriver, however, as I recall, tools were more of a convenience than a neccessity. Use 3M weather stripping adhesive to install new stripping. (I got my new stripping from Paragon- fit very well). Apply the adhesive to both surfaces (top and rubber). Allow the adhesive to "tack" before assembling. Be careful when assembling. It's tough to re-locate if you don't get proper location on first attempt. In fact, it might be a good idea to "dry fit" BEFORE you apply the adhesive.

Good luck with your project. I hope this helps!

Last edited by redrdstr72; 06-02-2012 at 06:40 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-02-2012, 10:05 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Purchase the assembly instruction manual (AIM). It shows the factory installation of the weatherstripping.

Even with new weatherstripping, a deck lid protector is not a bad idea. I have a clear one on my 68. Visible, but not particularly distracting.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:27 AM
71rdster
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The weather stripping is glued and screwed. Your old screws and the special washers that hold the weather strip in place are likely deteriorated. You may want to consider getting new screws and washers. Dr. Rebuild sells a kit.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:59 PM
Thanxs
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the AIM the same as a build manual?

Thanxs
Old 06-02-2012, 10:03 PM
Thanxs
Intermediate

Are there diagrams/step by step directions with pictures describing weather seal removal? Has anyone had to drill out broken/stripped screws from the rear plate that secures the t-tops? Can you remove the backing plate and reinstall?
Old 06-03-2012, 08:29 AM
redrdstr72
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts

"AIM" = Assembly Instruction Manual. If you don't have one, you're missing one of your best, and certainly most used tools in the tool box.

The AIM will show exploded view for the top, including weatherstripping. No specific instructions for disassembly since it's an Assembly Manual. It will clearly show how the top's components look and go together.

Agree completely with the deck lid protector. Order this when you order the weatherstripping. I was able to install my (clear) protector so that it is tucked inside so much, it's almost un-detectible.

While you have the top apart for weatherstrip replacement, it would also be a good time to remove the stainless perimeter trim and polish it up. Unless it's real bad, I would just polish the rear glass stainless trim on the top. Bad things can happen if not very careful back there...
Old 06-03-2012, 10:35 AM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike

Even with new weatherstripping, a deck lid protector is not a bad idea. I have a clear one on my 68. Visible, but not particularly distracting.
The auxiliary hardtop will vibrate even when cinched down tight as can be. It will eventually rub grooves into the decklid paint.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:02 PM
Thanxs
Intermediate

Default Weatherstrip installation

Thanxs for the information. Where did you purchase your AIM manual.

Thanxs
Old 06-03-2012, 02:21 PM
Mr.Green
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Thanxs
Thanxs for the information. Where did you purchase your AIM manual.

Thanxs
www.willcoxcorvette.com

They have a convenient PDF version on CD. I highly recommend it.

Get notified of new replies

To Weatherstrip / Hardtop

Quick Reply: Weatherstrip / Hardtop