C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pressure with stat change

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2020, 07:58 AM
Nosheruk
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oil pressure with stat change

At present I have a 160 stat in my cooling system and it sits happily at 160 no matter what temp is outside so no issues.
After reading up, i am looking to change it to a 180.
Question is, how much of a difference is a 20 deg operating temperature going to affect oil pressure?
I do have pretty good oil pressure too.
Stock 1978 L82 pace car.
Thanks
Old 05-06-2020, 08:17 AM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Originally Posted by Nosheruk
At present I have a 160 stat in my cooling system and it sits happily at 160 no matter what temp is outside so no issues.
After reading up, i am looking to change it to a 180.
Question is, how much of a difference is a 20 deg operating temperature going to affect oil pressure?
I do have pretty good oil pressure too.
Stock 1978 L82 pace car.
Thanks
Next to nothing. Why are you changing it?

Jebby
Old 05-06-2020, 08:48 AM
Nosheruk
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jebbysan
Next to nothing. Why are you changing it?

Jebby
From what i have read on here it will run better at 180 deg.
GM designed it to run at 180 to 195 ish temps and It will burn off moisture etc in the oil and cause less engine wear.
I have a Dewitt rad on so should not have any cooling issues.

regards

Norman
Old 05-06-2020, 08:49 AM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,634 Posts

What that fella Jebby said ^^^^^^^^.

I am a firm believer, to start cooling an engine as soon as possible within reason, >150>160* on those old non-computer cars.
Everyone knows it won't stay there (160) but at least you began cooling early.

And if a engine truly ran better at 180-195 you would see everybody getting their engines nice & hot in the drag strip staging lanes.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 05-06-2020 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-06-2020, 12:54 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

The theory that "the cooler and engine runs, the longer it will last" is merely a THEORY. There is some truth in it, until the cooling goes too far. Higher temps help boil off any condensed water in the engine block/oil pan. It also helps reduce drag by lowering oil viscosity. You are correct that Chevy Engineering designed the SBC engine for 180* operating temps. So, in my mind, that is the optimum temp for the engine with the conditions being used by those designers.

Today we have synthetic oils which have very low viscosity [relative to recommended orgainic oils of the 1970's], but which greatly reduce engine wear and improve life. So, what temp you choose to operate your engine should take those factors (and others, I'm sure) into account. If you are still using 10W30 organic oil in your engine, 180*F is the right place to be (IMO).
The following users liked this post:
Nosheruk (05-06-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 08:57 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,291 Likes on 3,919 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

If your temp gaue is correct and it is running at 160* , leave it an get a temp gauge and see what your oil temp is. Cool water temp would suggest cooler cylinders and that is good for compression and efficiency. Hot oil is good for gettiing it moving through the bearings and keeping them cool. If you watch the hotrod shows and look at the Dyno gauges they try and keep the engine temp below 150 and the oil temp above 200. As they increase temp the HP goes down, merely because of thermal expansion in the cylinder head. It becomes hotter so it wont suck in as much air fuel charge naturally. Think of a storm coming in on a windy day.....
Old 05-07-2020, 01:49 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
The theory that "the cooler and engine runs, the longer it will last" is merely a THEORY. There is some truth in it, until the cooling goes too far. Higher temps help boil off any condensed water in the engine block/oil pan. It also helps reduce drag by lowering oil viscosity. You are correct that Chevy Engineering designed the SBC engine for 180* operating temps. So, in my mind, that is the optimum temp for the engine with the conditions being used by those designers.

Today we have synthetic oils which have very low viscosity [relative to recommended orgainic oils of the 1970's], but which greatly reduce engine wear and improve life. So, what temp you choose to operate your engine should take those factors (and others, I'm sure) into account. If you are still using 10W30 organic oil in your engine, 180*F is the right place to be (IMO).
You say you are running a Dewitts rad. I also use one on my 69 427 and if I run a 160 stat, it runs at 160 degrees. If I run a 180 stat it runs at 180. I also think that running a 160 stat is too cool if your motor will actually run that and with the Dewitts, it probably will.
The following users liked this post:
Nosheruk (05-07-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To Oil pressure with stat change

Quick Reply: Oil pressure with stat change