C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fully loaded control arms?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 10:28 PM
68 Issues
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lars,

I am considering doing a front suspension rebuild on my 68. I am not a hard core mechanic and am trying to get my nerve up to take this on myself. I also want to do the Steeroids R&P conversion at the same time. A good “How to….for dummies” might just be what I need to push me over the edge. That and thinking of what other projects I could afford with the money I’d save!! How can I get a copy of your paper.

Thanks,

Kelly
Old 12-19-2012, 11:30 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

that email he posted works, send him a request and he'll send the papers right back. I'd like to add to that list of tools you may need , 'A big hammer'
Old 12-20-2012, 07:29 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

FWIW I purchased used control arms, cleaned them up, had a mechanic put my new bushings in. Then I simply swapped them out like you want to do. A arms were about $25 each on fleabay or here. Good information here in the tech forum on dealing with the spring install also.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:39 AM
la80vette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just did my set last weekend per Lars' papers. For me it was difficult getting the the bushings to come out. Popping the rivet heads off was easy but working the rivet out very difficult. The instructions are very clear, so it boils down to technique and experience. I'm sure it took me a lot longer than it should have but it's done and I did it myself.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:14 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 300 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by MacVette86
While looking around for front end suspension parts I discovered that VanSteel does indeed sell the complete upper and lower control arm assembly with poly bushings and Moog ball bearing installed. All this for $169.99 minus the 10% forum discount.

http://www.vansteel.com/index.cfm?fu...up=102&ID=3258

http://www.vansteel.com/index.cfm?fu...up=102&ID=3262

Thats almost $700 for control arms. Did you ever think of getting tubular ones for about the same price.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:25 PM
sstopczy
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I took mine out and to a local shop to replace bushings in and drill out the old ball joints. I think I spent $100 for that plus the cost of the new bushings. The replacement ball joints bolt on so you can install those once the old ones have been removed. I think this would be a much more cost effective process since getting them out was the hardest part, which you are still planning to do yourself.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:02 PM
doctorgene
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Burnt out the rubber in the old bushings with a torch, installed new bushings with an 1 1/4" steel nipple & a cap. Stood them up in the grass area, & tapped them right into place. Used cold chisel & hammer & cut rivets off of ball joints, bolted new ones in place. I did look up torque numbers on the bolts. Any machine shop will install them for you. The new ones look real good, & they are ready to install, painted & all. One car I installed the Aluminium ones on top, made by Shark Bite. easy as pie. Have a great one. Gene
Old 12-20-2012, 05:30 PM
MacVette86
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I ended up buying a small 12 ton press to do my universal joints as all the local shops around here wanted at least $200 + tax just for the labour. I bought the press for $149 all taxes in. So since I now have the press, I'm going to attempt to do the rebuild on the control arms myself.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:08 PM
hdpete98
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by oldalaskaman
there's a neat trick, serious old school
Yes there is. This is actually a very simple job that can be easily done on your work bench. Rebuilt my entire front suspension a little over two years ago. Piece of cake.

Quick Reply: Fully loaded control arms?