C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body Lifting Slings

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 05:12 PM
8valve
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Body Lifting Slings

I guess I am committed LOL !!!!!!

OK, my 73 body is free and blocked up off the frame with 4x4 blocks. My plan was to use a fork lift with 10K pound capacity and 8 foot forks. That idea is scrapped as I would have to jack and block the body off the frame way to high to get forks all the way under the body (tranny and etc in the way). It would be to unstable and inviting disaster.

What is your experience with the 4 point lifting slings the vendors sell. I still could do the lift with the fork lift, just in a different way.

Has anyone had a lifting sling failure causing the body to drop ? Has anyone bent out the metal or broke the fiberglass in the area where the lift sling hooks grab ?

Please tell me your experiences Good or bad. Like I shared earlier, I am a one man show. There is no help forthcoming. I dont want a bad day.

I work on all my antique/classic trucks. Lifting this body is the most stressful thing I have done ha ha ha.

Thanks
8Valve
Old 05-11-2012, 06:16 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi 8v,
I don't think I've ever read of a lift sling strap failure.
I think I'd lift just high enough to put a load on straps, carefully check the stitching and hooks, and then continue the lift.
Working alone presents a few problems, but offers MANY pleasures too!
Regards,
Alan

I actually had greater fears that the welds on my engine stand would fail!
Old 05-11-2012, 06:55 PM
rogman16
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
I actually had greater fears that the welds on my engine stand would fail!
Same here, Alan!!! Didn't take too long to cut a piece of 2x4 to put under the block to relieve the fishing pool bend!!!

8Valve--there are a lot of YouTubes out there showing how guys lifted (or dropped) their bodies... Most of them use the 6-8 guy method, but I've seen a few with a forklift...

Rogman
Old 05-11-2012, 08:06 PM
Evershark
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Winches with nylon straps are commercially available at a much lower cost than the special "slings". I rigged some reinforcement in my garage attic and pick the body up with three straps and support of the nose.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:07 PM
8valve
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Alan, working alone, I get to pick whats for lunch ha ha ha

8Valve
Old 05-11-2012, 10:52 PM
mudbone64
Le Mans Master

Location: I'd like to propose a toast... to internal combustion and wind in the face.
Received 265 Likes on 149 Posts

I bummed my buddies lift straps and made the spreader rig out of 4x4s. The entire body was lifted with a 9/16" piece of all-thread.

Honestly, other than needing a little help balancing the body lifting it was quite easy.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:48 AM
Evershark
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Additional note to the pic above. The yellow straps wrap around, under the body not hooked on the lower channels. If you have the body up on boards, off the frame, the straps will feed under easily. This method puts less strain on the sides, doors, etc. It does take two people to operate the two winches, not shown, near the ceiling.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:32 AM
brent319
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 139 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C3 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

I borrowed 2 straps from a neighbor who runs a warehouse, who knows a lot of truckers. They have the flat hooks on the end for grabbing the rails on semi flat beds. You can buy them, but I am cheap and won't use them again so I opted to call in a favor.
I have seen people use four straps, but it seemed easier to use 2. One spanned between the front corners and one in the back. Put a little tension on the engine hoist and snugged the straps down and it was balanced.
It was easier for me to slide the chassis under it then roll it from the front since my driveway is on a hill. I had four wheel dollies and just rolled it under from the side. That seemed easier then moving the engine hoist with the body swinging.
good luck.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:34 PM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

you can also use the seat belts (or attach straps to the seat belt bolts if the seat are out) to help the lift. they can withstand a lot of force.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:56 AM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 74 Posts

I used the lift straps without any issues. Once the body was off I could see that my rockers were severely rusted out and could have been a problem.

Just check your rockers out before attaching to them.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:47 PM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Some purchased slings can be a bit long

Old 05-13-2012, 06:49 PM
RS69
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you guys gut the interior before the body lift?

Thanks,
Rick
Old 05-13-2012, 07:23 PM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

remove the steering column and seats, or if you're doing a new interior strip that out first also.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:30 PM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Silver 65 was left intact. I just did a frame/driveline resto on that one.
My 71 is gutted
Old 05-13-2012, 08:43 PM
flyinfree
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default strap failure

I have had strap failure. When I received the straps I did not inspect them. Lifted the body several inches off frame on Sunday afternoon when I hot home Monday evening one leaf had come loose from mtal hook. The manufacturer hot glued strap but one lead was not sewn. I purchased this from Ecklers and I have to say I was very disappointed with Ecklers response. Basically they said sorry about your luck read the disclaimer on all of our sales. I contacted sling manufacturer and they were very responsive. The rear valance was damaged and I had to repair it myself at my own expense. The sling manufacturer made me a new sling even custom built it with shorter leads and shipped it NDA UPS.

My advise inspect that everything is stiched properly.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:44 PM
flyinfree
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default strap failure

I have had strap failure. When I received the straps I did not inspect them. Lifted the body several inches off frame on Sunday afternoon when I hot home Monday evening one leaf had come loose from mtal hook. The manufacturer hot glued strap but one lead was not sewn. I purchased this from Ecklers and I have to say I was very disappointed with Ecklers response. Basically they said sorry about your luck read the disclaimer on all of our sales. I contacted sling manufacturer and they were very responsive. The rear valance was damaged and I had to repair it myself at my own expense. The sling manufacturer made me a new sling even custom built it with shorter leads and shipped it NDA UPS.

My advise inspect that everything is stitched properly.

Get notified of new replies

To Body Lifting Slings

Quick Reply: Body Lifting Slings