C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2020, 11:07 PM
peterjanke
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Dash lights

Had to remove the instrument clusters and the small gauge console to replace some of the dash bulbs on my 69 big block. Want to make sure they are all working before I go through the trouble of re installing them. I can’t seem to get the dash lights to come on. All of the sockets have power, the clock terminal has power, and the brake warning and door ajar warnings have power.
The door courtesy lights are also working. Seems like I have a ground problem but I believe I have all the grounds connected. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions anyone has. Thanks.
Old 03-20-2020, 11:32 PM
Eliredandblack
Drifting

Received 434 Likes on 363 Posts

You can use a long piece of wire with alligator clips on each end to make a temporary ground. Find a piece of bare metal under the dash or at the console.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:57 PM
MajD
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Which sockets have power? If the dash light sockets have power, you should check the voltage. If it's too low, the lights won't come on. Any time I've had a problem with dash lights that included all the bulbs, it's been a grounding problem. Corrosion builds up on the ground terminal. Good luck.

MajD
Old 03-24-2020, 02:52 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Why do folks have such a hard time of understanding that EVERY electrical components needs POWER and GROUND for it to function???
Old 03-24-2020, 03:30 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Have you checked the dimmer on the headlight switch?

Get notified of new replies

To Dash lights

Quick Reply: Dash lights