C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 shifter problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 10:17 PM
Tooliepig
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 69 shifter problem

Hi everyone, i checked the forum and could not find anything quite the same as this problem......
The car was runnung and driving great, it is an original 350/350 4 speed. I had to back it up abojt 75 feet and upon shifting to neutral the car stalled. So here is exactly where it is at. The shifter will go into all of the forward gears, however when you let out the clutch in any fwd gear the car labors and will stall, it wont even try to move forward. When the car is shifted to neutral, and you let out he clutch, the car goes backwards. I cannot shift it into reverse at all. I am lost here, any suggestions? Where do i start?
Old 05-08-2012, 10:36 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

It could be a linkage problem.. Lever out.. cotter pin or Jesus clip....

Or... it could be the roll pin on the reverse shifter shaft had fallen out! This roll pin retains the reverse shifter shaft in place and if it does come out the shaft will move inward inside the transmission. When this happens, the tranny will lock in gear and act strange.

Pure speculation.. and the only way to tell is to look at the mound on the transmission where the reverse lever is attached.

Symptoms of a reverse shifter shaft issue would include stalling when placed in gear.. because the transmission is basically locked in reverse. Having reverse when in neutral.

If you find out this is the issue there is a detailed section in the service manual on how to pull the tail housing off the transmission and re-load the reverse shifter shaft.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:10 PM
Lemans Blue 69
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Common problem. Own a 69, Happened twice to me. Jack it up and secure your linkage or take it to a garage and get it up on a lift. Linkage bolts do loosen over time. Let me know if that solved your problem.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:39 AM
Tooliepig
Advanced

I appreciate the feedback, but could you be a lot more specific. What do you mean when you say jack it up and secure the linkage? And a side question, is this a sign of something? Trans going bad etc?
Old 05-09-2012, 09:04 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Its in two gears. Have to place the levers in neutral first.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:18 AM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tooliepig
And a side question, is this a sign of something? Trans going bad etc?
Not the trans. Sloppy, worn OEM shifter and or linkage. Those in the know who aren't married to original equipment install a Hurst Competition Plus shifter...problems solved in one fell swoop.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:20 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,608 Posts

As indicated above either the bolts holding the shift levers to the transmission gear selector shafts have loosened or the more involved, pin falling out of the case holding the reverse selector shaft into the case. Put the shifter in neutral and check the 1-2, and 3-4 levers, they should be straight up and properly engaged with the shift selector shaft with bolts tight. The reverse lever should be towards the front of the car with the shifter in neutral with the bolt fully tightened.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:44 PM
Tooliepig
Advanced

Melwff, going to try and get under there yet tonight, sorry for all the bother, which levers are which? It was dark when this happened and did not look too close. I beliece there to be 3 levers, with the rods loosened up, which ones points where? With the shofter on neutral, the frt two levers pointing straight up and the rear one forward? The levers point or is there flats that need to point in these directions?

Get notified of new replies

To 69 shifter problem

Quick Reply: 69 shifter problem