C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wont

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 04:09 PM
Billem
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Won't Start

Had a problem starting a while back but hadn't reoccurred until today. Turned the key this morning and nothing happened. Tried it again and she fired right up. Figured I hadn't pressed the clutch ('74 4spd) in far enuf. Tried it again and started right up. Went to the gas station, filled the tank, hit the starter and nothing. Tried 4-5 more times, nothing. Called AAA and an hour later got towed home. Had them set it in the driveway. Tried again. This time there was a feeling like a spring or something like that broke. Now the ignition switch freewheels thru the run position thru the start position and back to the off position. It still allows the shift lever in/out of reverse when you go from off to run but there is no "start" position. It sounds like I have at least 2 problems and I have no idea where to start on either one

Last edited by Billem; 05-08-2012 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Edit title
Old 05-08-2012, 04:32 PM
lonebull
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default won't crank

the problem you had before the key cylinder malfunction is very similar to a problem i had on a low mileage '78 last year. finally it just wouldn't start & it turned out to be a totally corroded battery to frame negative cable. when i removed the cable & cut thru the plastic covering the corroded copper simply fell apart in my hands. that could well be your original problem unless you have replaced or checked your ground cables. they can look fine & be completely shot. it's tricky because every once in a while the starter will get just enough current to turn over - then one day it loses yhe connection completely. i haven't been in to the column on my car yet so someone will chime in on that & help you out. lonebull

Quick Reply: Wont