C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1971 Bilstein Front Shock Install?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 02:09 PM
Timsredride
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1971 Bilstein Front Shock Install?

Hello, I'm new to the forum and Corvette ownership having acquired a 1971 Convertible a few months ago. I noticed that I had a shock leaking so bought a set of Belstein HD replacement shocks. The Bilstein bushings and washers are similar to what came off but not exactly the same. The Bilsteins came with 3 washers; 2 thicker ones (one black & one bright steel), these had holes similar in size to the shock shaft, and one thinner bright steel washer with a larger hole. What came off were 2 similar thick washers, but the bushings had ridges that are not on the Bilstein bushings. The old shocks are Delco ones, but I have no clue from when. My questions are which washer (if it matters) goes on first (black or b. steel) and where does the thinner washer go if it is used at all. Thanks for the help, and I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions.
Tim
Old 08-30-2012, 03:29 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

I just installed Bilstein HD shocks on my '71. If I recall correctly, the bright washer with the smaller center hole is first placed over the piston rod, then a rubber bushing. That set up is then installed up into the shock tower so that the threaded end is sticking out of the mounting hole. You need to use a small Bungie cord or something else to keep that shock from dropping out of the tower, until you get the top rod bolted up.

Then, from the top, install the flat washer on the rod, then the other bushing, and finally the other retaining washer and nut. To tighten the nut, you have to use a metric wrench for the nut (17mm, I think) to hold it in place while using an Allen wrench or socket insert to drive the rod CCW so that the nut will run down to tight position. At least, that's what I did, instead of trying to hold the Allen drive and turn the [nylon restrained] nut.

Once the tops of the shocks are complete, you can use a jack or some other method of lifting and holding the gas shock in place on the A-arm so that you can start and tighten the lower bolts.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: 1971 Bilstein Front Shock Install?