C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lessons Learned from 700R4, Hedman Headers, DART Iron Eagle Heads

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 12:45 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

this thread is so old that a PF35 is a PF1218 now and the PF30 is a PF454
Old 04-22-2014, 01:36 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Bromleys Corvettes
Headman headers suck on the vettes. I wont use them anymore cant run a 1qt oil filter and plugs to close to some tubes and idler arm and steering box and the collectors stop in a odd spot. I been using FlowTech coated headers for years everything about them is way way better.
I've looked at headman elite only for the ball collector and the thicker head flange. I currently run hooker comps, but need to go to a larger diameter collector and the comps fit so well I'll probably run the supper comps, but would like a thicker flange and the ball collector, the comps and super comps have a 1/4" flange if I recall correctly and don't have the ball flange. I haven't looked at the flow tec but have looked at the kooks but they do cost alot.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:09 PM
Bromleys Corvettes
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The FlowTechs are only about $300.00 they are nice for the money but limited to 1-5/8 primary's with 3in collectors. Thats big enough for most combos. I build 3in x-pipe exhaust system to help with flow so it works good for most of the projects I do. They just fit so good and so inexpensive its hard to beat the FlowTechs. I wish the Hooker super comps fit better they hang to low on the C-3s.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:19 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I just put headman sideexhaust headers on my '81 and they fit great.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:02 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

i used the OBX header side pipes and had none of those issues, none. i run a 2 quart filter no issues, some may not like the looks or noise but I'm keeping mine.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:48 PM
Bromleys Corvettes
Advanced

Originally Posted by qwank
I just put headman sideexhaust headers on my '81 and they fit great.
I never tried the side pipes from headman. I just no the ones that are for under car exhaust dont fit that great. I have done lots of Hooker side pipes and they usually fit pretty good.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:19 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

clicked on teh link and voila, it was one of my old threads from 12 years ago.

Funny, still running the Heddman's and the 700R4. Have since refreshed the DART heads. Pretty happy with the longevity of all three.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:26 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by F4Guy
Hi Ted, some time ago you had a post discussing your installation of Headman Headers and issues with the exhaust being too close to the transmission pan. I have the same issues after installing a ZZ4 and 700R4 transmission in my 79. I think the fluid is getting hot from heat transfer as the water temp never goes above 160 but the transmission temp goes to 180 or more even when moving at highway speeds. How did you resolve it? I'm thinking a Thermo Tec clamp-on heat shield might work on the passenger side. The drivers side exhaust was modified by the muffler shop by slightly collapsing the pipe to allow more clearance between the exhaust and shifter linkage.
Thanks
2014 Update:

Back in 2002, I had the muffler shop bend the 2.5" pipes they welded to the 3" collectors slightly away from either side of the transmission. They look sort of odd but 12 years later, they look as good as new and no leaks. They could have tucked the pipes in rearward of the trans but instead ran them straight back to where they pass under the diff. Prolly saved a few $$$ on bends. System still works fine and no overheating or melting.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:31 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bluedawg
I know the thread is old, but what series of headman were they?
They are 68301's that came with the A.I.R. tubes welded in place. You can install 68300's if AIR is not needed.

I will probably install a jet-hot set of 68300's sometime in 2015 as the collectors are showing their age from moisture seeping up through my concrete flooring past 12 years. Still, they lasted 10 years longer than the painted pair I had on my '71 Nova back in '80-82.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:14 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TedH

They are 68301's that came with the A.I.R. tubes welded in place. You can install 68300's if AIR is not needed.

I will probably install a jet-hot set of 68300's sometime in 2015 as the collectors are showing their age from moisture seeping up through my concrete flooring past 12 years. Still, they lasted 10 years longer than the painted pair I had on my '71 Nova back in '80-82.
I've looked at the elites, 3/8" flange, ball collector, like I said also looking at the kooks 1 3/4".
Old 04-23-2014, 11:48 AM
F4Guy
Cruising

Default exhaust too close to transmission

Thanks for the update. I'll give the Thermo tec shield a try and if that doesn't work I'll try your approach. It's always something!

Originally Posted by TedH
2014 Update:

Back in 2002, I had the muffler shop bend the 2.5" pipes they welded to the 3" collectors slightly away from either side of the transmission. They look sort of odd but 12 years later, they look as good as new and no leaks. They could have tucked the pipes in rearward of the trans but instead ran them straight back to where they pass under the diff. Prolly saved a few $$$ on bends. System still works fine and no overheating or melting.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:59 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

This is the reason I gave up on LTH HEADERS years ago. I have mcjacks shorties or you should go with corvette centrals magnaflow exhaust with block huggers. You don't need LTH on the street.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:14 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jb78L-82
You don't need LTH on the street.
I disagree 100% with this statement.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:14 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

I disagree 100% with this statement.
Let me clarify, the difference between LTH and shorties on the street is mininal
Old 04-23-2014, 04:26 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Let me clarify, the difference between LTH and shorties on the street is mininal
That's too generalized. On a stock engine sure, on a mildly modified engine not as much, on a built engine not at all. In my opinion shorties are better than stock manifolds but don't see them as being as benificial to a built engine and I also know that not every body has a built engine nor do they rev to 6200 rpm on a regular basis but some of us do and there are those who plan to, if your building an engine for power having the better flowing exhaust even for the street is a given. I don't dislike shorties, but if I'm buying headers and I'm going through the effort of installing them I'll go the extra distance and go long tubes even if it worth only a few horse power.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:34 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

That's too generalized. On a stock engine sure, on a mildly modified engine not as much, on a built engine not at all. In my opinion shorties are better than stock manifolds but don't see them as being as benificial to a built engine and I also know that not every body has a built engine nor do they rev to 6200 rpm on a regular basis but some of us do and there are those who plan to, if your building an engine for power having the better flowing exhaust even for the street is a given. I don't dislike shorties, but if I'm buying headers and I'm going through the effort of installing them I'll go the extra distance and go long tubes even if it worth only a few horse power.

Totally reasonable response. I just hate the hassles of the LTH, just me, getting old. I am building my L-82 up pretty well so I will eventually see what the motor will do with shorties, although no matter what I doubt I would go for LTH's on C3 with all the clearance issues, engine and road. To me not worth the extra ponies.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:58 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Totally reasonable response. I just hate the hassles of the LTH, just me, getting old. I am building my L-82 up pretty well so I will eventually see what the motor will do with shorties, although no matter what I doubt I would go for LTH's on C3 with all the clearance issues, engine and road. To me not worth the extra ponies.
The only clearance issues I ran into with the hooker comps was during installation but was minimal and nonexistent with a lift, if your were either doing the top end or while pulling and installing the engine, you wouldn't have any issues, as both could drop in from the top. Mine very very rarely drag, the plugs are a pain to change some times but not impossible and no chore at all if you've got a lift. I can see how the shorties would be easier especially if you didn't have cut and reweld the collector flange. For those who want stock manifolds, they make a larger rams horn, I've got a friend found a set at napa.

Last edited by bluedawg; 04-23-2014 at 08:01 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:54 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

12 yrs, damn. Hedmans and Dart IE's been great with @ 30k or so on them. Broke a spring last fall so will send the heads off to the machine shop. They were ported by Curtis (MountainMotor) and make plenty of power. Wonder if they will last another 12 yrs.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:02 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bromleys Corvettes
I wish the Hooker super comps fit better they hang to low on the C-3s.
I haven't reached that point yet(soon) but I thought that the super comps had the same geometery as the comps with the exception of 1/2" larger collector which would make them hang 1/4" lower? I seem to remember other members that have them and like them. So you had issues with clearance and fitment on them?

Last edited by bluedawg; 04-24-2014 at 03:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Lessons Learned from 700R4, Hedman Headers, DART Iron Eagle Heads