C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedo not reading correctly since cable was replaced.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 08:16 PM
Jack Wood
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedo not reading correctly since cable was replaced.

The cruise control was removed and a one piece cable was installed from tranny to speedo head. It worked on the lift then read incorrectly for a few miles now the needle just floats at around 10-30 mph at highway speeds. Do you reckon the drive gear in the tranny stripped, or what? Had a difficult time plugging in the cable at the speedo head so maybe it popped out???? Will check that first.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:18 PM
dgood
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it probably popped out of the speedo. There is a clamp thingy on the back of the speedo that holds it on there. Make sure you really push the cable into the speedo good and tight.

I know that my gear in the tranny is stripped (the one you have to pull the rear of the tranny off to replace I think) and my speedo does not register anything.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:52 PM
Jack Wood
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difficult to reach with full grown man arms! May buy a little monkey to do it.

Originally Posted by dgood
I think it probably popped out of the speedo. There is a clamp thingy on the back of the speedo that holds it on there. Make sure you really push the cable into the speedo good and tight.

I know that my gear in the tranny is stripped (the one you have to pull the rear of the tranny off to replace I think) and my speedo does not register anything.
Thanks, the kid next door is skinny if the monkey can't. So you're saying just push the cable thingy in with gusto and it will clamp itself? Will try it tonight. Thanks again, cuz.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:40 PM
dgood
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found it easier to drop the duct out of the way that goes below the steering wheel. If you reach up there you can feel the clamp. It is like a circle that is bent out on one side and when you push the cable in, it clamps over it. One more trick I did was take out the little vent by your left knee and you can put your hand in there and do it and you will see what I am talking about.

Get notified of new replies

To Speedo not reading correctly since cable was replaced.

Quick Reply: Speedo not reading correctly since cable was replaced.