C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backfires starting on a hill

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 10:25 PM
EC74
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backfires starting on a hill

74 L48 350 4sp, holley 750 carb, have noticed occasional backfire thru carb when starting from a stop on an uphill. Seems to be only when car is facing uphill, not when starting from stop on level.
Car had been running fine, nothing changed or replaced before this started. otherwise car seems to run fine slow or fast.
Car is new to me, do not know how old the plugs, points, wires etc. are. Any help appreciated.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:12 PM
Super6
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like it's going lean as the throttle is opened with the load of accelerating uphill on the engine. Float level could be somewhat low to start to with, although going up hill would effectively increase the float level.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:44 PM
Jack Wood
Instructor

Default Adjust the pump shot on the carb when you hit the gas.

Insufficient fuel shot will cause a stumble and/or backfire. Ignition timing under a load can maybe too but probably the accelerator pump on the carburetor is your issue, I believe it can be adjusted. Going uphil from a start is a big load on the engine. Downhill is not as long as gravity still works.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:45 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,152 Likes on 484 Posts

Or float level is too high letting some raw fuel slosh over into the manifold. This is then what back fires.

My Holley has no choke and back fires plenty when I flood it out to start it and until it warms up. Sounds like a similar situation.

Open the site plugs with the car idling on a level surface and the fuel should just be to the bottom of the opening barely dribbling out.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:53 PM
Satoa
Instructor

Originally Posted by toddalin
Or float level is too high letting some raw fuel slosh over into the manifold. This is then what back fires.

My Holley has no choke and back fires plenty when I flood it out to start it and until it warms up. Sounds like a similar situation.

Open the site plugs with the car idling on a level surface and the fuel should just be to the bottom of the opening barely dribbling out.
Yes float level - also for future ref advanced timing will cause carb backfire - could be a small combo of both

Get notified of new replies

To Backfires starting on a hill

Quick Reply: Backfires starting on a hill