C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it possible ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 10:37 PM
daanbc
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12
Default Is it possible ?

To have the distrib. Off by one tooth of the key on the cam for cylinder # 1 and the car still start and run?
Old 03-27-2012, 10:47 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

sure..but we usually talk in degrees with timing....the teeth in the distributor are relative to the spark plug orientation. you could put the distributor in any position you want and as long as the spark plug wires are moved accordingly the car will run. most of the orientation of the distributor is so that the spark plug wires and the vacuum cannister allow you to move the distributor with out hitting things to get the final timing. so the teeth alignment are really relative. its not like the cam and crank timing gear chain which has to be aligned perfectly.

so its not that unusual with a new engine build that in the final tuning you may have to pull the distributor out and move it back or forward a tooth so that you can get the timing you want and not have the vacuum cannister hitting obstructions.

do you think you are having timing issues?

Last edited by bobs77vet; 03-27-2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:13 PM
daanbc
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Thank you! That's what I was wanting to hear. When I placed my distrib. In I thought to myself that the rotor was not perfectly lined up with cylinder #1. It was a tooth (degree) off, towards the #3. To get the car running I had to turn the distrib. So that the vac. Canister is almost hitting carb. Tomorrow I will take it out and move it clockwise a tooth (degree) Thanks.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:24 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

an easy way to do this is to mark the distributor with a Sharpie right at the base of the #1 spark plug tower.....then when you move the distibutor up you can clock it back wards and when you set it down you can see the rotor point to the line you made and keep moving the ditributor up and down unitl the rotor stops at the point you want. you can actually measure backwards the distnace the rotor travels and reset it by measuring back that distance from the line you created. when you set the distributor in place the rotor will always advance that same amount.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:50 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

You will have to turn the oil pump driveshaft a little with a long screwdriver once the distributor is removed to move the distributor that tooth.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:13 AM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Here are a couple recent threads and posts on the subject

This one of you are really close and just want to move a tooth one way or the other. You don't have to pull dist all the way out. Choose your direction appropriately. Rotor CCW to move the housing CCW and rotor CW to move housing CW.
Originally Posted by noonie
Here is the easiest way, if you are now 2° retarded.

Take cap off.
Remove dist clamp and bolt.
Standing on driver's side, with left hand resting on manifold and fingers slowly pushing up dist; use right hand to hold slight counterclockwise pressure on rotor. Pry dist very, very slowly up with left hand fingers and you will feel dist gear releasing from cam gear. Lift up just a hair more and while your right hand applies pressure in clockwise rotation, you will feel the rotor and gear skip 1 tooth.
Press down the dist. It may not seat and leave a 1/4" gap at the manifold, either jiggle it or have someone just click the starter while pushing down on the dist and it will seat. Stay clear of rotor while pushing.

Time with a light. You should now be able to advance with no interference.
All this does it keep the dist housing in the same position and advances the rotor. If not enough for your particular advance, do it again.

Sounds confusing, but it's very simple and only takes a minute.

This way, if you want to start from scratch or just double check and don't want to remove anything such as the valve covers. I edited it a bit to clarify better.
Originally Posted by kortensi
So I got a compression tester and got it into #3 and found that the distributor was reinstalled backwards. Couldn't fit it into #1 because of the header. I got it flipped around, but the kids were asleep, so I couldn't try it yet.

Soon......
Knock the guts out of a spark plug, screw in an air fitting and solder or braze it. Can use it later to do oil seals.

100 water balloons at the dollar store for a buck.
Finger tight into #1 and when the balloon starts to fill, you are coming up on #1 firing position (balloon won't stay full forever), continue by watching the damper marks and set the damper mark to 10° BTDC and the dist so the rotor is pointing at #1 tower on the cap. Then time with a light.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:10 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I like this
Old 03-28-2012, 04:00 PM
63split63
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Or you could just put your finger over the outside of # 1 spark plug hole while you click the starter a little at a time . I use a remote start switch or have someone click the key .

Bill
Old 03-28-2012, 07:06 PM
LongIsland C3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone remember the whistle you could thread into the #1 cylinder to find TDC? My Snap-On guy at work (younger than I am) thinks I'm crazy.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:04 PM
ctroadster
Advanced

what works for me is to stick a rolled up rag into the spark plug hole turn over the engine a little at a time untill the rag blows out of the hole with a pop then you can rotate the crank by hand(socket on the crank) back to tdc and be certain you are on the compression stroke.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:12 PM
RRod
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default TDC Whistle Indicator

Originally Posted by LongIsland C3
Does anyone remember the whistle you could thread into the #1 cylinder to find TDC? My Snap-On guy at work (younger than I am) thinks I'm crazy.
You mean this item ..... I picked it up at NAPA the other day for about $20 out of curiousity. I'm not sure it is as accurate as using a traditional brass or hard plastic hard-stop when approached from both rotating directions and then splitting the measured difference to simply confirm timing markers are correct (and they were on my 1965 L79 to within 0.5°).

I'm curious to try this whistle for comparison the next time I have all my new plugs out again in a few weeks to see how they are running (after addressing another issue on my L79 a few weeks ago). I'll also probably squirt some oil in the #1 cylinder before trying it out.

Any other opinions of the whistle approach are welcome.

Last edited by RRod; 05-24-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:25 PM
LongIsland C3
Instructor

Wow Rrod, thank's. That brings back a lot memories.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:59 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Stock manifolds and distributors each have stake marks which made it easy to install the distributors on the assembly line. Bring #1 to TDC on the compression stroke, lower the distributor, and align the mark on the distributor with the mark on the manifold.

Aligning the marks also orientates the distributor vac advance can correctly.

Get notified of new replies

To Is it possible ?

Quick Reply: Is it possible ?