C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4-Post Lift - Still Waiting

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2002, 03:47 PM
69L71
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Default 4-Post Lift - Still Waiting

Wednesday was the 2 month anniversary of the lift collapse and i have still to see a penny. I don't know how much to blame Lifts Unlimited and gemini because things have made it to their insurance company and assorted claims agents. Still, after 3 appraisals, one recorded statement of events, countless emails, and a fedw dozed un-returned phone call I'm still waiting.

Top it off with Hagerty wanting to tie me to a repair shop or cut the labor rate of the claim. i.e.: if I go to a repair shop I get THEIR apprasier's estimate of $40/hr, but if I choose to sell the car and take the damage claim in cash (which by default is where I'm at) I only get $25/hr. I'm still waiting to see what that does to the amount of the claim. I'm still wondering how they get away with that. Supposedly its part of the agreed value policy. Yeah right. The agreed value is (for instance) $20k, but if you have $10k worth of damage we'll only pay you $5k unless you fix it at a shop and stay insured by us... The same applies if you choose to repair it yourself.

Oh well, lbell101 already has the car and will probably be driving it around under the Michigan sun long before I see any money.
Old 05-17-2002, 04:08 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 147 Likes on 129 Posts

Default Re: 4-Post Lift - Still Waiting (69L71)

Good luck ....That really sux ..........I hope they get things resolved :cheers:
Old 05-17-2002, 05:38 PM
73-454
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 4-Post Lift - Still Waiting (Alwyn678)

Like I said on your 1st posting When dealing with insurance companies make sure you get your story straight and stick with it and always deal with your main insurance company or you will get srewed. Insurance companies are great till you file a claim. Good Luck
Old 05-17-2002, 08:11 PM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Chris, I was just thinking about you today and wondering if things were resolved yet. Sorry to hear about the troubles with this. If there's anything Greg or I can to do help, just let us know!! ~Juliet & Greg
Old 05-18-2002, 07:45 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Hell with it, just file suit and get over with it....I hope you have an attorney friend who may be able to get over with the paperwork....
most Maryland courts are on your side there....and trial in a month or so...
that will get them moving on it....
that labor rate thing with Haggerty is a real screw job...and so much for quoted labor rates and such....in fact insurance companies do not pay nearly as much as you and I are lead to beleive.....I have had that opinion for years now,...and your case here seems to be the iron clad proof....

GENE :confused: :confused: :mad :mad :eek:
Old 05-18-2002, 09:35 AM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

That sucks Chris... I like to believe they will com through for you.... if not we can always start posting links to your threads on every other board out there....

I agree call a lawyer and see what your options are. :mad :mad :mad
Old 05-18-2002, 12:25 PM
rainman69
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar situation with my insurance company. After an accident (no-fault), I got with an appraiser who told me such wisdoms as, "Corvettes aren't any different than fixing a boat, I don't care what anyone says," and, "I'm not going to pay more than $38/hr, because this guy at 'Bubba's Collision Repair' is a fiberglass expert..."

The first thing let me know that he was stupid, and never owned (od did body work) on a Vette...since every boat I've seen has been weave, and the Vette is matte. The second thing...well, as soon as I mentioned it to my lawyer, who is a good friend of my parents and just happens to be an insurance lawyer, he said two words:

"Bad Faith"

It will strike fear into the company, because you can sue them in your home state and especially in my case, it would be quite easy, as his words are in direct violation of my "take it anywhere, any cost up until total value" policy. Needless to say, I've decided to fix it myself, to learn how to do body work, but I could easily have gotten the extra $2,000 to fix the damage.

Make sure you use those hardball words if your policy does not state in writing that you have to go to one of "their" shops. Also, another good set of words to know is "Insurance Regulatory Commission."

Hope you get your help fast. :cheers:
Old 05-19-2002, 01:06 PM
69L71
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: 4-Post Lift - Still Waiting (Mike69)

Well maybe things are working out better afterall. Hagerty gave me the labor rate speech on Friday morning and in the afternoon they called back and said that they'd pay the appraised damage amount without question. I don't know what the change of heart was all about, but I won't argue. I still need to fax a copy of the title on Monday morning but they seem to be siding to the way I thought my insurance worked - you get the settlement based on the amount of finiancial injury.

I still have some fighting to do with Gemini's insurance though. I need some kinda update that something is progressing or Gemini wil be hearing from me again. Also, I've had several email messages from folks who have had problems dealing with Lifts Unlimited. I realize that my situation has generated lots of clout for me, but if you've had trouble with your Perfect Park lift, chime in and let others know about it. I've said for 2 months now that if it weren't for this forum I would never have gotten any response from Lifts Unlimited or Gemini. Apparently they're proving this right.

Get notified of new replies

To 4-Post Lift - Still Waiting

Quick Reply: 4-Post Lift - Still Waiting