C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rubber Brake Hose R&R

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 11:07 AM
Al Davis
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubber Brake Hose R&R

Hello, whats the best way to remove and replace the rubber brake hoses. Thank you.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:19 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

With a good set of flare nut wrenches. An unpainted golf tee or similar will plug the brake line. Frame end first, then the caliper end.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:22 AM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

use some pb blaster and clean the fittings first. one tip would be to cut the hose and slide a closed 6 point end wrench over the fittings rather than use a open style hose wrench. it will reduce the chance of rounding the nuts.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:36 AM
bluthundr
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by jnb5101
use some pb blaster and clean the fittings first. one tip would be to cut the hose and slide a closed 6 point end wrench over the fittings rather than use a open style hose wrench. it will reduce the chance of rounding the nuts.
That's what I did. I think I used a 5/8 spark plug socket on the rears. I didn't use the golf tee, I let all the fluid drain out and then gravity bled the whole system. If you are changing all the rubber lines, it's a good time to just flush the whole system.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:45 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi AD,
The original hoses have a red line running the length of the hose so you can see that they're installed without an unwanted twist in them.
So install and tighten the threaded end first, and then seat and install the clips at the frame ends.
Regards,
Alan
Old 03-31-2012, 07:33 PM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

I invested in two sets of good quality flare wrenches. I wanted to make sure I had a duplicate set in case there was a situation that may have called for this.

Using these wrenches on the brake and gas lines was worth the cost rather than rounding off various nuts and bolts on the lines.

kdf
Old 07-11-2012, 08:00 PM
brianPA
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kdf1986
I invested in two sets of good quality flare wrenches. I wanted to make sure I had a duplicate set in case there was a situation that may have called for this.

Using these wrenches on the brake and gas lines was worth the cost rather than rounding off various nuts and bolts on the lines.

kdf

Absolutely agree. I was in this exact same position earlier this afternoon. After a bad experience with a stripped bolt yesterday I bought these flared nut wrenches and they worked perfectly for disconnecting the brake line.

Get notified of new replies

To Rubber Brake Hose R&R

Quick Reply: Rubber Brake Hose R&R