C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new oil pump and fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 10:33 AM
ltblue79
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new oil pump and fuel pump?

So Ive pulled the motor out to do the top end and I figured I might as well do the oil pump and fuel pump. The problem is there are just too many choices and is one better than the other?

So what has everyone else had good luck with?
Old 03-19-2012, 12:47 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

My personal take is if you're doing a top, just leave the short block alone.

Last edited by billla; 03-19-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:57 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

If you have good oil pressure leave the oil pump alone. The factory pumps are good quality. The new mellings are not as well built unless you upgrade to a higher dollar pump. Standard pressure and volume is what you want. Same with the fuel pump. For your build level the stock pump is good if it works well now.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:02 PM
Steve2147
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Oil pumps are almost never the cause of engine failure or low oil pressure. Anything that can cause premature wear in an oil pump has also gone through the engine and taken out the bearings first.

Save your time and money. Fuel pumps a crap shoot. Oe pump may well have more life left than an aftermarket replacement has new.

Steve g
Old 03-20-2012, 10:26 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Oil pump should be fine, but who knows. Never really thought much about it, but actually had a couple fail. Once a buddies car, cruising on the highway. Engine was a goner. Another time, just starting my daily car in the morning, and ding, ding, ding no pressure. Since you have the bottom end apart, probably wouldn't hurt pulling the oil pump apart, making sure everythings moving freely. Mark the gears, and put them back that way, though. For rarely driven carburated cars, I usually go rear mounted electric fuel pumps. Primes a dry carb for quick starts, and an under dash switch, stalls the bowls empty when parking.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:39 AM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Although oil pumps seldom suffer complete failure, keep in mind they are the only part in the engine proper that uses unfiltered oil.

Get notified of new replies

To new oil pump and fuel pump?

Quick Reply: new oil pump and fuel pump?