C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power window repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 04:04 PM
glarior
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default power window repair

80' vette... if I remove the power window motor shouldn't the window not stay up unless supported by something else?
Old 03-14-2012, 06:28 PM
captl27
Instructor

I would say you are right. why do you ask.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:33 PM
glarior
Racer

my windows have a hard time going up and down so I bought a new motor for the driver side. I still had the same problem... infact the new motor could not roll the window up as far as the old one. I thought connectios or electrical but those seem to check out.

At this time nothing is holding the window up so the track system has to be clogged or something else. Even when I push or pull with my hand the window is still hard to roll up or push down.

I think the assembly needs to come out and be cleaned. However, seems like there are tons of parts that is needed to rebuild the regulators/assembly. Not sure which ones I need. The parts list is what I am trying to find. I found an old article by corvette magazine but all the links are broken.

how can I tell what I need? Rip it all out and go from there?
Old 03-14-2012, 09:49 PM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

There is a big spring built into the mechanism that is probably frozen or broken. Don't ask me how I know...
Old 03-14-2012, 10:14 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette...e window parts
Old 03-15-2012, 06:43 PM
captl27
Instructor

The main arm that has the gear on it that is operated by the motor has a rivet that holds it to the housing. I would soak it with penetrating oil and make sure it moves freely. Also the other arm that is connected to the system has a wheel that role on a housing that is bolted to the door. Make sure there is no gunk in that track. These window mechanisms must be in tip top shape to work at all any problem will affect their ability to work. Even when they are in good shape you may need a weather-stripping lubricant to help them work.

Last edited by captl27; 03-15-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:26 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Either the window mechanism (not the motor) is binding due to wear, lack of lubrication, etc. or the window switch is corroded/burnt on the contacts and is not passing adequate current to run the motor.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:39 PM
Night_Train01
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my power window motor off yesterday and the window will fall to the bottom as there is no other support. I just hope installing the new motor is as easy as taking the old one off.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:51 PM
glarior
Racer

Yea, mine has not been supported for weeks now and still has not fallen.

Thanks for the information. Once I finish my HID headlights I am going to start on the doors. I know I will have to remove everything and go from there.

@7T1vette - I thought it was the window switch/contacts so I replaced those and solder in new ones. That did not fix the problem. I never thought about the mechanism until recently.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:10 PM
glarior
Racer

How the heck do I get the whole thing out of the door? I removed the window which was a pain. Removed the roller runners. Now how do I get the rest of it out? I took off all the bolts and the whole thing can be moved but I can't remove it from the top of the door.

I remember posts talking about a rivet and stuff? Where is that at?
Old 09-10-2013, 12:58 AM
cantona222
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am also working on the power window of my 79'. When I am looking for parts they always refer to Left window (LH) and Right window (RH). Which one is the Drivers window?

Sorry for such a silly question. I am that naive :P
Old 09-10-2013, 01:24 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

You need the procedure for taking that motor AND linkage mechanism out of the door. And, it's a 'dilly'. The Chevrolet Chassis Service Manual is the only source for that info, AFAIK.

You need to remove the motor and linkage as a set! If you removed the motor without inserting a bolt/nut in the linkage to lock it in place, it will just fall...with the window! And, if you put the bolt/nut in place, then you can't remove the "locked" linkage.

Procedure is complex. In general, you raise the window, remove the glass, lower the linkage, get the side rails out of the way, remove some retaining screws, and then 'jack' the linkage/motor back and forth to get it out of that lower access hole.

If you can't find the procedure or don't have the CCSM, don't try it.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:15 AM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,244 Likes on 965 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default No easy task!

Originally Posted by glarior
How the heck do I get the whole thing out of the door? I removed the window which was a pain. Removed the roller runners. Now how do I get the rest of it out? I took off all the bolts and the whole thing can be moved but I can't remove it from the top of the door.

I remember posts talking about a rivet and stuff? Where is that at?
Here's a HOWTO that I found helpful.

http://www.corvettemagazine.com/tech...power-rebuild/

After you get the glass out you have to remove the top (long) track from the back and top of the door.
Circle all the bolts with a marker so you can align everything just as it was.
Then remove the small track by removing the two bolts and sliding it off the roller.
Then remove the front and rear vertical tracks.
Next collapse the regulator and remove it from the access hole at the bottom of the door.
You may find the old grease has turned to gum and that makes the rollers stick instead the rolling freely.
Take a close look at all the rollers as you may have to order some.

Left and right are as seated in the drivers seat.

Get notified of new replies

To power window repair

Quick Reply: power window repair