C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZZ4 and Hooker or OBX Headers and Sidepipes

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 10:41 PM
Racer C3
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Default ZZ4 and Hooker or OBX Headers and Sidepipes

I'm dropping a ZZ4 into my '74 and I've been reading the threads on Hooker Headers and OBX Headers with sidepipes. I'd like to add sidepipes to my car, but don't know if they'll work with the ZZ4 since it has angle heads. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Ron
Old 02-26-2012, 11:05 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 557 Likes on 379 Posts

Hedman Heders makes side pipe headers that will work with the factory side pipe exhaust system. A muffler shop will be required to mate the Hedman side exhaust headers with the factory side mount exhaust system. It's a easy conversion for a muffler shop. The Hedman Headers are about $180. Thats pretty cheap. I have them on my ZZ4 68 with the 69 factory sidemount exhaust system.

The Hedman catalog indicates that their side pipe header system will not work for xxxxxxxx cars. This is a cop out. They are weary of EPA and CARB rules. Their Headers work just really well on my ZZ4. The ZZ4 has D port exhausts. The Hedman Header side pipes have Oval ports. With a Dremel grinder, I matched up the Hedman side pipe headers to my ZZ4. The angle spark plugs are not a problem with the Hedman Headers which are designed for straight plugs. ..........$180 for headers....that's really a good deal. I sent mine off to Jet Hot for plasma coating.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:34 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a ZZ4 and Hooker sidepipes. Fits like a glove.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:59 AM
Racer C3
Racer

Thanks guys!
Old 02-27-2012, 07:13 AM
Phil Zell
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have AFR angle plug heads and Hookers, bolt them on. I had to make a special plug wrench for #6 spark plug.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:14 PM
fitter
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hookers will fit angle plug heads without any issues. In fact, any side exhaust setup has more clearance for plugs and wires than their traditional long tube header counter parts. I would shy away from Hooker though! Their quality and flange trueness has gone downhill since the moved their production to Mexico!
Old 02-27-2012, 09:19 PM
Racer C3
Racer

Thanks again. All input is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:41 AM
Locke
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

It's interesting that nobody has chimed in about OBX fit or quality.

I'm looking at long term header purchase for my '69 and there are alot of choices even in sidepipe style.

I'm leaning toward Custom Image. If they fit well, they seem the reasonable priced for stainless.

I have not decided if aluminum/angle plug heads are in my future. I really like the ease of using the GM, ZZ383 but need about 475 HP to be competitive in NCCC Group III R/P.

Locke
Old 02-28-2012, 10:51 AM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Locke
It's interesting that nobody has chimed in about OBX fit or quality.
Just so you're not disappointed any further--OBX are CHINA made. Some CF members are proud of that. It's your decision whether to install them on your American made sportscar.

Last edited by 69 Chevy; 02-28-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:24 PM
corvettejockey
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
Hedman Heders makes side pipe headers that will work with the factory side pipe exhaust system. A muffler shop will be required to mate the Hedman side exhaust headers with the factory side mount exhaust system. It's a easy conversion for a muffler shop. The Hedman Headers are about $180. Thats pretty cheap. I have them on my ZZ4 68 with the 69 factory sidemount exhaust system.

The Hedman catalog indicates that their side pipe header system will not work for xxxxxxxx cars. This is a cop out. They are weary of EPA and CARB rules. Their Headers work just really well on my ZZ4. The ZZ4 has D port exhausts. The Hedman Header side pipes have Oval ports. With a Dremel grinder, I matched up the Hedman side pipe headers to my ZZ4. The angle spark plugs are not a problem with the Hedman Headers which are designed for straight plugs. ..........$180 for headers....that's really a good deal. I sent mine off to Jet Hot for plasma coating.
What exactly is plasma coating. Im going to drop ZZ4 in my 81 and I have been trying to find a sight that has information on D Port headers but it only takes me to Eckler's and those are the Hedmen headers and they are black. I'm looking for ceramic coated headers for a ZZ4.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:22 PM
Clubby99
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 69 Chevy
Just so you're not disappointed any further--OBX are CHINA made. Some CF members are proud of that. It's your decision whether to install them on your American made sportscar.
Hookers are made in Mexico. Custom Image are made in China. Some original parts of the C-3 were made in Canada.

Last edited by Clubby99; 03-04-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:40 PM
77C34SPD
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone tried Dougs sidepipes and headers?
Old 03-25-2012, 12:59 AM
colin75
Instructor

i just installed dougs purchased from jegs. got em in two days...Fast! i was scared because i have angle plug heads bu for about$ 660( flat black) it was worth trying and if not i had a buddy that would buy them. well i installed the driver side no problem.. the passanger was the tricky part. i had to install #2 plug with header loose and pulled up a bit to get a socket on it. all the rest no problem. im VERY happy with the fit and quality and glad to finally have my side pipes. ill get my spark plug info they are ngk slightly shorter than regular. and will post pics soon. colin 75

Last edited by colin75; 03-25-2012 at 02:36 AM.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:39 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

I like these made in America headers from Stainless Works...http://www.stainlessworks.net/
Old 03-25-2012, 10:49 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,526 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by 77C34SPD
Has anyone tried Dougs sidepipes and headers?
After trying 2 other brands that did NOT fit put them on a NOM '68 big block car and the Doug's went on with NO issues. No "dinging" required and they have the biggest primary tubes. They seem to be a quality product at an affortable price and on top of that they actually fit.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:22 PM
colin75
Instructor

just barely got them on. not finished just wanted to get inspection done today before they closed. i will be ordering the sts baffles next week click on pic for video
Old 04-08-2012, 12:59 PM
kellyr073
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by colin75

just barely got them on. not finished just wanted to get inspection done today before they closed. i will be ordering the sts baffles next week click on pic for video
Lots of good info on the headers, but still not sure which to go with for factory style sides that I am ordering today from Ecklers.

I think I'm switching to factory sides from Hooker Headers, and I just bought a pair of STS Spirals that I have not installed yet, that I will sell to you at a better price just to get them out of my basement. If you are interested, PM me.

Also have slightly blued Chrome hookers with glass packs in them for a good price(make offer). Just decide all this this morning, so I have no idea what I want for them, but it won't be much.

Get notified of new replies

To ZZ4 and Hooker or OBX Headers and Sidepipes

Quick Reply: ZZ4 and Hooker or OBX Headers and Sidepipes