C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Does One Remove the Drivers Air Vent to Get To the Rivets for Body Mount 1

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 08:34 PM
SilverC3Convert
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Does One Remove the Drivers Air Vent to Get To the Rivets for Body Mount 1

Hello All:
I have a 74 Corvette Non A/C Corvette Convertible and had to remove the body mount bracket number one due to the rust and corrosion on the bracket.
I have the bracket removed and that was a challenge to remove. I removed the vacuum canister and it gave me room to get a 5 1/4 electric cutoff wheel in after about two hours trying to remove the bolt with tools. The problem was that the top of the bolt like the bracket had rust issues and did not fit properly. I even got my special tools that allow one to remove stripped bolts.

So the bottom line the bracket is off and the new is ready to install and I even have new bolt and nut and washers and the rubber mounting hardware. The problem is that it seems that some engineer thought it would be fun to design the rivets to go behind the vent and only show the inner two if one reaches in the vent system. I think two guys at a bar after many drinks sought this prime real estate out to place the bracket for future attempts to get to.

Seriously I have removed the outer cover and see the vent system and removed the cable to the center butterfly venting system and the bolt to the brace under the dash.

If anyone has some tips on how to remove the vent without breaking it or a trick to get the bracket support attached to the firewall it would be greatly appreciated.

I bought the companion piece with the little aluminum rivets to go to the bracket. (I actually wonder what the weight or strength the five little rivets have but will play the game and attempt to install it with the parts.)

Any help on removing the left vent without smashing to assist attachment of the bracket is appreciated.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:08 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,150 Likes on 2,079 Posts

I spent most of the day under the car wiping everything down with varsol and mineral spirits so this could be a hallucination

It seems to me either the entire flap-door, or just the pivot rod slips up enough to disengage from the bottom hole and then it pivots and drops out. (I replaced the foam gaskets on mine a couple of years ago and had to get both out onto the bench)

I don't have any pics of that to help
Mooser
Old 02-27-2012, 08:42 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi C3,
Mooser's right.
There's just room so that you can move the whole door up enough so the bottom pin can come out of it's hole. The rubber flap on the door compresses so the door can move.
Regards,
Alan
Old 02-27-2012, 06:49 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,150 Likes on 2,079 Posts

Head slightly clearer today but it makes things worse.
I can't see mine right now but it there two separate pins, top and bottom, for some reason I have this image of a spring loaded pin that you pulled up (or down) on using a needle nose plier and that released to flapper. The another pin or rod that the cable hooked to, seems to me it's just a loop over the end, might have a spring washer to keep it from falling off but I don't think so..

Unfortunately, I also think this may have been on my old Nova.

Lets go with Alan's answer, so ignore this completely
Old 02-28-2012, 08:44 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi,
Mooser's memory is just fine.
One of the pins is spring loaded. From the picture I can't tell if it's top or bottom.... when you move the door the spring compresses and the door come out.
My picture is from pre-digital days, and so fuzzy, I'm ashamed to post it.
Regards,
Alan
Old 02-28-2012, 08:50 PM
Mike's 68
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, Alan is right. The front clip on my 68 is off so I just walked out to the garage and check it, the top pin is spring loaded so just lift up and swing the bottom out.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:03 PM
Red 69
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi,
Mooser's memory is just fine.
One of the pins is spring loaded. From the picture I can't tell if it's top or bottom.... when you move the door the spring compresses and the door come out.
My picture is from pre-digital days, and so fuzzy, I'm ashamed to post it.
Regards,
Alan
Alan is correct, when I did the door seals on my 69 they came out as Alan describes. It is much easier to refurbish once they are out LOL. Don't forget to lift the control wire loop off the door pin.

Last edited by Red 69; 02-28-2012 at 10:05 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To How Does One Remove the Drivers Air Vent to Get To the Rivets for Body Mount 1

Quick Reply: How Does One Remove the Drivers Air Vent to Get To the Rivets for Body Mount 1