C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

200R4 Tailshaft Removal pt. 2 w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 07:53 PM
682XLR8
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Default 200R4 Tailshaft Removal pt. 2 w/pics

As I mentioned in an earlier thread, I needed to find a tool that will pull the rear tailshaft bushing in my 200R4 while the trans in place, as it doesn't have a removable tailshaft, otherwise pull the trans out and take the whole thing apart just to get to the rear bushing

I bought this tool ---> http://atoztool.com/2200.html to do the job with....and it worked! Whole job took just a few minutes(not including removing the driveshaft)....this is a real handy tool to have if you have a transmission you can't remove the tailshaft from, or a trans where the tailshaft bolts are a hassle(or impossible) to get to. Instructions say it fits most of the GM auto trans as well as some Fords, some of the Chryslers, and who knows what else

Here's a few pics showing how it works:

Right out of the box
[IMG][/IMG]

Assembled, with the GM sleeve installed
[IMG][/IMG]

Remove this part(instructions call this the segments) from the sleeve.....
[IMG][/IMG]

.....and slide it in between the bushing and the tailshaft
[IMG][/IMG]

Note the button head screw, this is what secures the sleeve. Take this part....
[IMG][/IMG]

.....and slide the sleeve in between the segments and the tailshaft. This expands the segments so that they will grip the bushing from the back. Turn the **** 1/4 turn to lock it into place. Turn the screw in till it centers itself in the end of the tailshaft. Now take a 15/16 wrench and turn....
[IMG][/IMG]

Felt the bushing pop loose and come out with minimal effort
[IMG][/IMG]

Local parts store carries the Timken bushing and seal as a set....PN 5200
[IMG][/IMG]

Remove the old bushing and install the new bushing onto the segments. Remove the screw, and tap the new bushing into place with a dead-blow hammer. Then remove the segments and tap the seal into place using the handle and hammer
[IMG][/IMG]

Job went much easier than I thought it would, most jobs don't Afterwards I checked the tool for any wear, breakage, etc, looked good! This tool definitely gets a plus it's made in the US
Anyone local needs to use it let me know
The following 2 users liked this post by 682XLR8:
20mercury (12-31-2016), platinummaker (02-02-2021)
Old 02-21-2012, 07:58 PM
Mark Riles
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For someone that works on a lot of transmissions that would be a real handy tool to have in the shop. Thank you for all the great pictures of the process.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:52 PM
PeteZO6
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Nice writeup Randy. The excellent photos really help understanding how it all works.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:54 PM
682XLR8
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mark Riles
For someone that works on a lot of transmissions that would be a real handy tool to have in the shop. Thank you for all the great pictures of the process.
I can see where this tool could pay for itself in a short time, long as it can handle the rigors of a shop envornment(don't know about that yet....only used it once)

Originally Posted by PeteZO6
Nice writeup Randy. The excellent photos really help understanding how it all works.
Thanks Pete Several Vette events coming up in April(Hooters Sacramento on the 7th, RR Run on the 14th, Solvang on the 28th), you going to any of them??
Old 02-23-2012, 11:36 AM
PeteZO6
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks Pete Several Vette events coming up in April(Hooters Sacramento on the 7th, RR Run on the 14th, Solvang on the 28th), you going to any of them??[/QUOTE]

I'm plan to be at Hooters, not sure about the others.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:00 PM
682XLR8
Safety Car

Originally Posted by PeteZO6
I'm plan to be at Hooters, not sure about the others.
See you there!
Old 06-15-2019, 01:40 AM
Jalopea1972
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the thread. I have a Muncie M20 4-speed that I believe this would also work on. It is a 32 spline output shaft. The tail shaft bushing is 2.02" outside diameter. Do you believe this would work and would you be willing to sell or loan (with deposit, of course) to someone out of state? Thanks.
Old 02-01-2021, 06:21 PM
Jneismusic
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 200R4 tool needed for my 32 spline muncie

Originally Posted by 682XLR8
As I mentioned in an earlier thread, I needed to find a tool that will pull the rear tailshaft bushing in my 200R4 while the trans in place, as it doesn't have a removable tailshaft, otherwise pull the trans out and take the whole thing apart just to get to the rear bushing

I bought this tool ---> http://atoztool.com/2200.html to do the job with....and it worked! Whole job took just a few minutes(not including removing the driveshaft)....this is a real handy tool to have if you have a transmission you can't remove the tailshaft from, or a trans where the tailshaft bolts are a hassle(or impossible) to get to. Instructions say it fits most of the GM auto trans as well as some Fords, some of the Chryslers, and who knows what else

Here's a few pics showing how it works:

Right out of the box

Assembled, with the GM sleeve installed

Remove this part(instructions call this the segments) from the sleeve.....

.....and slide it in between the bushing and the tailshaft

Note the button head screw, this is what secures the sleeve. Take this part....

.....and slide the sleeve in between the segments and the tailshaft. This expands the segments so that they will grip the bushing from the back. Turn the **** 1/4 turn to lock it into place. Turn the screw in till it centers itself in the end of the tailshaft. Now take a 15/16 wrench and turn....

Felt the bushing pop loose and come out with minimal effort

Local parts store carries the Timken bushing and seal as a set....PN 5200

Remove the old bushing and install the new bushing onto the segments. Remove the screw, and tap the new bushing into place with a dead-blow hammer. Then remove the segments and tap the seal into place using the handle and hammer

Job went much easier than I thought it would, most jobs don't Afterwards I checked the tool for any wear, breakage, etc, looked good! This tool definitely gets a plus it's made in the US
Anyone local needs to use it let me know
Hello Randy,
I need to borrow or rent your your bushing removal tool. I’m in Pioneer CA. Please let me know if this is still available. I can be reached at (209) 295-3891
Thank you.
JNeis Sr
Old 02-01-2021, 10:09 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,714 Likes on 2,272 Posts

You posted to a nearly 2 year old thread. Hope the OP is still tuning in.....
The following users liked this post:
PeteZO6 (02-01-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 10:31 AM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
You posted to a nearly 2 year old thread. Hope the OP is still tuning in.....

the OP is still active here so maybe he will answer. I would PM Randy and see if he could help as he is an awesome person and a good friend. But he is a few hours from the OP

also. Maybe try auto parts stores and see if they have a loaner tool. But I’m guessing your options are limited in Pioneer after the fires.
gl

Last edited by ptroxx; 02-02-2021 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-02-2021, 12:39 PM
682XLR8
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ptroxx
the OP is still active here so maybe he will answer. I would PM Randy and see if he could help as he is an awesome person and a good friend. But he is a few hours from the OP

also. Maybe try auto parts stores and see if they have a loaner tool. But I’m guessing your options are limited in Pioneer after the fires.
gl
haha thanks George
Yeah, I still lurk here from time to time. I will be at the Cars & Coffee at the old outlet center in Tracy Saturday morning JNeis if you'd like to meet me there...I still have the tool somewhere in my shed, I'll bring it with me

Last edited by 682XLR8; 02-02-2021 at 12:43 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 02-02-2021, 01:56 PM
Jneismusic
8th Gear

Default 73 Corvette tail shaft bushing tool

Hi Randy,
Thanks for getting back to me, I surely appreciate it! I can meet you in Tracy at the Coffee and cars if could send me a address & time. You can text or call me at (650) 350-9887. LMK if you can find it. You’ll be saving my bacon and my back.
Many thanks.
Jon
Old 02-02-2021, 02:40 PM
682XLR8
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Jneismusic
Hi Randy,
Thanks for getting back to me, I surely appreciate it! I can meet you in Tracy at the Coffee and cars if could send me a address & time. You can text or call me at (650) 350-9887. LMK if you can find it. You’ll be saving my bacon and my back.
Many thanks.
Jon
Address is 1105 E Pescadero in Tracy, from 9-11am, it's on the flyer on my last post. I'll look for the the tool in the shed tonight and PM you when I find it
Old 02-02-2021, 04:30 PM
Jneismusic
8th Gear

Default Special corvette transmission tool

Hi Randy,
Thanks, I’ll look for your post to see if you found that bushing tool. I’m curious, I just wanted to to see if it would be possible to meet you in Sacramento vs. Tracy? I’m up in Pioneer CA. It would be an easier trek for me, I thought I read in one the threads that you may be from Sac, if not I’ll still gladly meet you at the Old Center inTracy.
Best.
Jon
Old 02-02-2021, 08:55 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Jneismusic
Hi Randy,
Thanks, I’ll look for your post to see if you found that bushing tool. I’m curious, I just wanted to to see if it would be possible to meet you in Sacramento vs. Tracy? I’m up in Pioneer CA. It would be an easier trek for me, I thought I read in one the threads that you may be from Sac, if not I’ll still gladly meet you at the Old Center inTracy.
Best.
Jon
he isn’t from sacrament. He’s from Livermore. FYI.
Old 02-02-2021, 09:33 PM
Jneismusic
8th Gear

Default Corvette bushing tool

Ahh! Sorry about that! So I’ll meet him in Tracy at the Coffee & Cars...waiting for a verification that he found his 2004R bushing removal.
Thanks so much!
Jon
Old 02-03-2021, 07:38 AM
682XLR8
Safety Car

Took a peek in the shed last night but didn't see the tool, I'll dig deeper tonight after work. It's there somewhere.
What exactly are you working on Jon?

Get notified of new replies

To 200R4 Tailshaft Removal pt. 2 w/pics

Old 02-03-2021, 11:16 AM
Jneismusic
8th Gear

Default Corvette transmission bushing tool

I have a 73 C3 Muncie 4Spd M20 transmission that has a oil leak coming from the rear tail shaft. I thought that I could get away with a new rear seal replacement, but no cigar! the copper/ bronze bushing is the culprit. This is the reason I need your tool to remove it in the car without pulling the tranny. I have been down that road before with the other C3’s that I use to own. Randy, I appreciate your help. Re: your reply about Coffee & cars, I didn’t receive the flyer, I guess it didn’t upload. If you do find your tool, can you designate a place to meet me at the Coffee & Cars.
Thanks.
Jon
Old 02-03-2021, 08:54 PM
682XLR8
Safety Car

OK Jon, I have the tool, I put it in the Vette so I don't forget it. I should be at the C&C between 8:30-9:00, I'll have the 68 with me, plus my buddy's 64 Impala SS (GMPP 502 crate motor ), and another buddy's 64 El Camino. Will text you my phone #, call me when you get there
ptroxx (02-05-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 11:18 PM
Jneismusic
8th Gear

Default Corvette bushing tool

Will do! Looking forward to meeting you!
Thanks.
Jon
ptroxx (02-05-2021)

Quick Reply: 200R4 Tailshaft Removal pt. 2 w/pics