C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help needed w/ my “other” Chevy (fuel starvation)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 01:28 PM
Neo Fender
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Help needed w/ my “other” Chevy (fuel starvation)

I have a 1977 Camaro that sat up for a couple of years. Recently, I replaced the old gas w/ fresh, new plugs and had it running for about 20minutes. Now, I can’t get fuel up to filter (right before the carb).

I attached a hand held vacuum pump downstream BEFORE the engine’s mechanical pump (in other words, I applied vacuum to the fuel line, before it reaches the fuel pump). With 20 inches of vacuum I get no fuel from the tank.

(1) I removed the gas cap to ensure I would have no vacuum issues.

(2) I don’t know if the charcoal canister is involved here. I believe it is disconnected from the carb

(3) I don’t know anything about the fuel pickup innards. Is there a sock, filter etc? Would there by anything that would block the flow this much so suddenly? I believe the stock fuel pump only provides about 5 PSI. I don't see a reason why the fuel shouldn’t flow, especially with 20” of vacuum applied.

(4) I’m not crazy about this option, but would there be any issue with blowing compressed air (as little as possible) into the fuel line back toward the tank? Yes, I know, fuel is always dangerous – just thinking about options.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:49 PM
birdsmith
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like the sock may have deteriorated and some sediment broke loose and got into the line. I would remove the sender and in the process change the rubber lines and do like you suggested (blow the line out backwards). That little amount of gas won't be much of a fire hazard as long as you empty the tank beforehand.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:32 PM
Rich's'78
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"That little amount of gas won't be much of a fire hazard as long as you empty the tank beforehand."

I believe it would be MORE of a hazard because less fuel in the tank means more air/oxygen in the tank and under the 'right' conditions that could be explosive. I suggest the OP talk to a shop that replaces gas tanks and get advice. They probably have nitrogen on hand to 'inert' the space in the tank as they pump out the gas before replacing the tank.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:35 PM
birdsmith
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich's'78
"That little amount of gas won't be much of a fire hazard as long as you empty the tank beforehand."

I believe it would be MORE of a hazard because less fuel in the tank means more air/oxygen in the tank and under the 'right' conditions that could be explosive. I suggest the OP talk to a shop that replaces gas tanks and get advice. They probably have nitrogen on hand to 'inert' the space in the tank as they pump out the gas before replacing the tank.
He's not asking if it's OK to hold an acetylene torch to it- just if it's OK to blow compressed air through the line...
Old 02-23-2012, 01:48 PM
Rich's'78
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by birdsmith
He's not asking if it's OK to hold an acetylene torch to it- just if it's OK to blow compressed air through the line...
I don't know why you seem upset with my answer. Your comment "That little amount of gas won't be much of a fire hazard as long as you empty the tank beforehand." is the WRONG thing to do. He just filled the tank and the fuller it is, the safer it is in case of some source of energy (prossibly static) becomes present. There have been conflagrations and explosions from unexpected sources of energy.

To the OP: if the tank is full, by all means blow the line backwards. After that, pump the gas out of the tank so you can see the condition of the inside / sock. Always electrically 'bond' the tank and receiver and ground the assembly to prevent the possibility of accidental ignition of the vapours.

Last edited by Rich's'78; 02-23-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:29 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

OH, the stories I could tell about welding and gas tanks, nothing stupid, but yes, precautions....such as filling the tank with argon first, and then maybe washing it out and dry in the sun for a day or so, then fix the rust hole....what is totally stupid is the EPA jumping on junkyards for selling used GAS TANKS of all things....like it was some kind of world ending device to put a used gas tank in a car....some 25 years ago I got a deal outta a J/Yard I knew the guys pretty well, so for 20 bux I got a 26 gallon Caddy tank for my Lemans/GTO.....properly vented so it would not collapse when that 462" engine demanded fuel.....

Get notified of new replies

To Help needed w/ my “other” Chevy (fuel starvation)

Quick Reply: Help needed w/ my “other” Chevy (fuel starvation)