C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preventing Theft of Your C3

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 12:32 AM
75 Vette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Stole Your Corvette

Now that I have your attention, can you share any of your ideas of the best way to prevent someone from stealing your Vette? I was thinking of a concealed switch connected to the ground or hot wire (red wire) going to the coil at the distributor. Does anyone see any problem with rerouting this wire to a switch under the dash and then routing it back to the coil? Please share your ideas.

Here is the latest news I've found for a recovery device. Check out this system for those of you that don't live in a LoJack area:

http://reviews.cnet.com/car-security...ag=mncol;lst;4

Last edited by 75 Vette; 02-12-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:40 AM
milo30
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't prevent it, can only deter it. I don't worry about it. I don't even lock the doors. I've seen every device out there defeated. Personally, I just got me an agreed on price insurance policy and I'll let them worry about it.

You could do a kill switch like you are talking about or maybe better yet, a battery quick disconnect so you never have a dead battery either.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:01 AM
thegavel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just kidding,
I use a "Club" steering wheel lock, an immobilizer and also have
a hidden switch for the dizzy itself. It's also locked in a garage
(with CCTV & a motion detector alarm setup) battery quick disconnect and a great neighbour.
Oh yeah, and a dog !!!!
If the car is going to sit for any length of time- I remove the wheels
and store them at my self storage unit.
We have very strict gun laws here in Australia, so I dont have one otherwise you could add one to my list.

Gav
Old 02-06-2012, 02:10 AM
myoriginal77
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 75 Vette
Can you share any ideas of the best way to prevent someone from stealing your C3? I was thinking of a concealed switch connected to the hot wire (red wire) going to the coil in the distributor. Does anyone see any problem with rerouting this wire to a switch under the dash and then routing it back to the coil? Please share your ideas.
I had this setup for years without any issues, hide the switch well.

A friend hooked his wire up to a relay, and the relay to the electric antenna wire from his aftermarket radio so it would not start unless the radio was on.

Frank
Old 02-06-2012, 09:59 AM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This works for me.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:23 AM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Had a car stolen in college, so I'm a bit paranoid. Terrible feeling to know some scumbag is driving your car. In my case I keep it in a locked garage. When I'm out I use a club steering wheel lock, hidden kill switch to the dizzy and a battery quick disconnect. No professional is going to want my vette, but the casual punk walking by may want to take a joy ride. While I can't stop anyone 100% I can make it harder for them to steal. Plus it makes me feel better.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:12 AM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

My concealed carry weapon works for me...
Old 02-06-2012, 11:22 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Can you share any ideas of the best way to prevent someone from stealing your C3?
Simple, don't put it in a situation where it can be stolen.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:02 PM
rugerm44
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Low Jack for classic cars.Guns are fine.I have permit to but if your not around it won't do a bit of good.The only place I park and walk away is in the garage.The low jacks not much more expensive than a good alarm.Some days I wish somebody would steal the money pit.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:05 PM
75 Vette
Advanced

Default I just spoke with a Installation Expert

A guy at a local stereo shop suggested that I don't tap into the coil as the starter will still enagage but rather the starter wire in the steering column. Does anyone have a wiring diagram to share?
Old 02-06-2012, 02:02 PM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bashcraft
Simple, don't put it in a situation where it can be stolen.

That's the only reliable tact IMOP.
I lost one (71 LS5) to the slime ***** in New Jersey.

By the way... you can steal a manual tran Vette without the battery.
The OEM alternator self excites when the pulley spins... so all you have to do is push start the car with a clip lead between the alt output post and the coil. Try it sometime... remove the battery while the car is running.

Last edited by Tom454; 02-06-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:06 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,565 Likes on 2,164 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I never park the cars out of my sight. They are either in the garage or with me at an event. I use my pickup truck for restaurants and regular errands. I consider the old Corvettes attention grabbing toys that are fun to drive but easy to steal if you leave them unattended. If they want your car they can get it. Tow trucks, etc.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:32 PM
lonebull
Instructor

A guy at a local stereo shop suggested that I don't tap into the coil as the starter will still enagage but rather the starter wire in the steering column. Does anyone have a wiring diagram to share?
This would be the wire that runs from the switch on the column to the "S" post on the starter. Don't know the color on a 75. You should use a relay as this wire has a bit of current on it- or a hi-amp switch. Wonder why he dosen't want you to put a switch on the pink coil wire? The starter would turn over but without the juice to the coil it wouldn' fire. Maybe he would think it was a clunker & leave it be. Most on the forum agree- if he wants it he WILL get it. I always thought if you could slow him down it was a good thing. My 78 had an alarm on it & the wire you're talking about ran through the alarm "brain" box. When the alarm was engaged the starter wire was interrupted. You might consider investing in a color coded wiring diagram off eBay. They may not be 100% accurate but they are close. I,ve had mine now for 2 months now & it IS handy. GOOD LUCK! lonebull
Old 02-06-2012, 03:52 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 581 Likes on 462 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

i have lo Jack, a carry permit and a fine German shepherd who thinks the car is his. that dog is **** about that car.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:53 PM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Clutch switch

G'day,

My '74 has a clutch safety switch that only allows current flow to the starter when the pedal is depressed. It won't start if it's happy, though!

But seriously, if you cut into this circuit and put an interrupt switch under the dash or somewhere hidden, the lowlife will not be able to start it. And if he tried to jump the starter with a screwdriver, etc., it's not as easy as it looks if he has to keep looking over his shoulder while he's doing it. Plus, most scumbags would not have the intelligence to know how to do this, I guess.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn
Old 02-06-2012, 04:16 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

To all of the above suggestions you can add a "boot."

A firearm is not an option in Canada: prohibited. The USA is unique in allowing personal weapons.

Last edited by Paul L; 02-06-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:07 PM
riggs 74
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm looking to get one of these multi purpose guy's Looks pretty affective. LOL

http://youtu.be/8avOiTUcD4Y

Riggs.

Get notified of new replies

To Preventing Theft of Your C3

Old 02-06-2012, 05:13 PM
riggs 74
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You could use a system like this,http://www.amazon.com/RM01/dp/B000ZRXJY2

Riggs
Old 02-06-2012, 05:30 PM
vette427-sbc
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Like its been said, if someone wants your car, they will get it. The hidden kill switch will delay them if they want to drive it away. (Open headers are a good alarm in this case ) Otherwise they will just tow it. I will be putting an alarm in my car with a shock sensor. So as long as the alarm is armed, it will go off if the door is opened or it senses movement. There are also options to have the car send a page to your key remote if you cannot hear the alarm.
Agreed insurance price is always your best bet
Old 02-06-2012, 06:09 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My cars all have remote alarm systems that cut the ignition, but as mentioned, there's flat bed tow trucks, and boats to South America. Not likely to happen, but if you've got a nice ride, not much you're gonna do about it. Some like having a gun, but actually gotta be on the scene and use it. Splitting town afterword's a good idea, as of course you know nothing of the dead guy laying out front

Quick Reply: Preventing Theft of Your C3