C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preventing Theft of Your C3

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 06:07 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Red 71
You seem to forget that here in the USA a lot of us are legally licensed to pack a firearm and if someone tries to steal my car they in the course of doing it will charge at me and I do have the right under the Castle Doctrine to defend myself. To be honest, just today I took two bags of play sand in a garbage bucket down to my basement and rapid fired two clips into it just to be sure that the old 10mm was in good working order.
It is!
Wow, you're awesome...
Old 10-22-2012, 11:39 AM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by bashcraft
Wow, you're awesome...
Old 10-22-2012, 01:04 PM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Do it the Seinfeld way.....infuse it with a BO so bad they won't go near the car!

Me personally, I'm going to hire Mr "T" to guard it 24/7....I pity the fool who try to steal my Vette!

OK....seriously....if they want it bad enough they'll probably get it. I keep an eye on it, don't take it where I'm worried about that, good alarm and good insurance

Old 10-25-2012, 11:04 PM
shawn_cake
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MotorHead
I am not sure how any of you would feel if you shot and killed someone for trying to steal your $10,000 car let alone stepping on your property. Talk to some Vets who were ordered to kill people, for many of them its a life altering experience and effects them for the rest of their lives.
Amen to that.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:02 AM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by aaroncorvette
I just pull the coil HT lead off
Easily replaced with a piece of spark plug wire... or coat hanger etc. My favorite is #7 for some reason. Craps.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:24 PM
MyEleanor
Navigator

Alternative idea:
1" steel spikes under 2 tires whenever I go to a restaurant or a mall type place. I will NOT forget to take them out before I leave, and my Vette is unlikely to be stolen by a professional with a tow truck. It will just foil the punk out for a joy ride. If it happens: it'll cost me 2 tires which is better than the alternative.
Frank
Old 10-27-2012, 11:49 PM
sprta
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

One method I heard was to have a hidden fuel cutoff switch. The person start the car no problem, the car dies on the road shortly afterwards and the last thing a car thief wants to do is work on the car out in the open.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:40 AM
buzzkill
Advanced

A few years back, I had some electrical issues and broke down right by a police station that I was able to coast into and park and walked to my friends work nearby to catch a ride home. I went back that night after getting a few parts and didnt want to jack the car up in thier lot. So my friend and I pushed the car out of the lot, down the street, and into a more secluded lot to work on it. No one questioned us, or even gave a second look. I figured if I could do that so easily, what would stop an actual thief with a plan? I have used one of those steel brake pedal locks faithfully ever since and havent had a problem, even had a thief pull the cover off the car and open the door. Apparently, he walked away as nothing was missing. That was good enough proof for me.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:30 AM
Mike6811
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Grant makes a quick removal kit for their steering wheels. May have to put the wheel into a bag to take it into the restaurant though.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:56 AM
Stingray-Jer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was looking for a Pedal Jack for a manual transmission but cannot find one online. Does anyone have a good link for one? Thanks.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:33 PM
rosslato
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Here is my Pedal Lock, bought way back in 1990 when I bought my Vette, sometime after the company went out of business I guess due to the Club which is worthless. All I can say to a thief is good luck trying to get one of these Bastards off, there is no room to work. Also have a Kill Switch, a fuel shutoff switch and manual fuel shutoff switch and an alarm that doesn’t work but they don’t know that. Can never be to safe!

Quick Reply: Preventing Theft of Your C3