C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSD Atomic EFI

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 09:06 AM
conway62
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been following the progress of the MSD Atomic EFI. For anyone who is considering this option, you want to go to the MSD web site and read through the Atomic EFI forum. Looks like they have a long way to go. Major problems for most people and support seems pretty bad. Its a nice looking package and im sure in time they will get the kinks out.

For me, Im leaning now on the FAST system. Looks like proven technology with hundreds of solid positive feedback.

- Ron
Old 09-07-2012, 02:32 PM
moonsteel
Holley HP EFI w/TPI
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did Tanks Inc option on a 74, was pretty painless.
I went with Holley because it can also control timing.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:30 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

I wanted to read the reviews once this system had been run during a full summer's heat. You are right there do seem to be a number of issues.
Decided to search to find other reviews and comparisons to EZ and MegaSquirt and found the following site and discussion bd.
http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...Atomic-EFI-or?
Old 09-07-2012, 04:51 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

You can read "reviews" from "experts" all over the internet on any of the EFI systems; all need to be taken with a LARGE grain of salt.

Mostly, they are just opinions and not really based on any facts at all.

I can offer both facts and opinions, as I have been using the FAST EZ-EFI system for 3 years now.

FACTS:
- I have had exactly zero issues with the FAST product
- I have had exactly zero issues with the fuel system I installed; I have run the tank down to less than 4 litres (1 gallon) and had no problem with starvation.
- Unless you instal a surge tank, external sump, or internal sump/baffles, you WILL have fuel starvation problems under 1/4 tank
- I personally know 2 people that also installed the exact same system, and had nothing but problems, but both were due to installation errors
- if you go look at the FAST product support forum, you will find that the majority of problems are due to improper installations

OPINIONS:
-The FAST system has been flawless, and I am very happy with it, no regrets
- If I didn't have a large sum of $$$ in my current engine, I would have just went with an LSx conversion instead
- The MSD Atomic systemm is not as good as the EZ-EFI; one of the main selling features - returnless fuel system - is a total BS marketing gimmick to sell units to people afraid/unwilling to mod their gas tank.

Last edited by 7t2vette; 09-07-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:57 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Fully agree with you on this Bruce. When I went to the Atomic presentation by the chief designer he addressed the returnless system and his reply I found troubling, he had concerns how it would work in the summer's heat and recommended that a return line be installed. I have looked at the FAST system, Edel' and Holley's system and not familiar with MegaSquirt other than some online reading.
If I were to buy a system today it would be the FAST one as it would suit my needs the best. In all likelihood I will put my original engine in a crate and drop an ls with a 5/6 speed and add Vintage Air.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:08 AM
Super6
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 7t2vette
You can read "reviews" from "experts" all over the internet on any of the EFI systems; all need to be taken with a LARGE grain of salt.

Mostly, they are just opinions and not really based on any facts at all.

I can offer both facts and opinions, as I have been using the FAST EZ-EFI system for 3 years now.

FACTS:
- I have had exactly zero issues with the FAST product
- I have had exactly zero issues with the fuel system I installed; I have run the tank down to less than 4 litres (1 gallon) and had no problem with starvation.
- Unless you instal a surge tank, external sump, or internal sump/baffles, you WILL have fuel starvation problems under 1/4 tank
- I personally know 2 people that also installed the exact same system, and had nothing but problems, but both were due to installation errors
- if you go look at the FAST product support forum, you will find that the majority of problems are due to improper installations

OPINIONS:
-The FAST system has been flawless, and I am very happy with it, no regrets
- If I didn't have a large sum of $$$ in my current engine, I would have just went with an LSx conversion instead
- The MSD Atomic systemm is not as good as the EZ-EFI; one of the main selling features - returnless fuel system - is a total BS marketing gimmick to sell units to people afraid/unwilling to mod their gas tank.

OK, after all is said and done, what are the benefits over a carb with the EZ-EFI? Knowing what you know now, for the average big block Vette owner, is it worth making the change? I've thought about making the change to EFI many times. Thanks.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:52 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

The biggest advantage of EFI is in the adaptability to environmental change. You can also get a far more precise fuel curve than with a carb.

I don't think the money delta is worth the advantages, but I'm also in a state where putting EFI on my car would be illegal.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:30 PM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Shark Racer
The biggest advantage of EFI is in the adaptability to environmental change. You can also get a far more precise fuel curve than with a carb.

I don't think the money delta is worth the advantages, but I'm also in a state where putting EFI on my car would be illegal.
Just out of curiosity, why is it illegal to upgrade your fuel system? at least that would be good for the environment!
Old 09-09-2012, 03:42 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by HamadUP
Just out of curiosity, why is it illegal to upgrade your fuel system? at least that would be good for the environment!
Our lovely state (California) government has a system where all replacement emissions-related parts have to be certified. AKA, someone pays the government $$ to do a smog check and visual inspection to determine they don't bypass any existing systems or increase emissions... even though the car goes through that every 2 years anyhow.

Quick Reply: MSD Atomic EFI