C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1982 CE issue.. strange one..

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 11:46 AM
rexydg
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1982 CE issue.. strange one..

Howdy folks, new member here Have several vettes.

I just picked up an 82 CE that is in decent shape overall.

Needed some TLC of course and I have been banging on it for about 2 weeks now.

IOt is a crossfire and I have been having a strange issue with it.

I am a pretty competant mechanic. I have replaced both IACS, TPS, CTS, And that seemed to settle the majority of the issues down..until I make a right turn.

The car will start and run (on a whim it seems) It started right up this morning after I replaced the TPS as it was causing issues at idle.

It started cold, rocked up to about 1K, then settled in at 700rpm a minute or two later.

Everything seems perfect.

I drop it in gear and go... accelerates great, idles down fine.. then I make a right turn and bang. Everything shuts down... I try to start it and have no fuel.. there is fire but no fuel, nothing sprays at all.. nothing drops, nothing dribbles.

This has happened before and sometimes it would start again.. other times it won't but the common denominator is not a drop of fuel is reaching the engine.. and it is after a RIGHT turn.

Figured i would check and see if there is a common problem with a wire harness or some other issue that plagues this model.

Anyone have any ideas?? This thing is killing me here.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:43 PM
rexydg
5th Gear

OK.. well it decided to "run" again.. but there is all kinds of crazy nonsense going on.. the IACS will open and close the fuel will spit and sputter out of the injectors.. It will rev itself to over 2K and then cut off..

I have never seen such a mess.. wow.. it was running just fine this morning.. until I made that right turn.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:01 PM
pakrat12
Intermediate

Could it be fuel filter or pump issues? My '82 shut down on me, not after a turn, but when I went through a really bumpy intersection. Had to tow it home and after verifying power to pump and continuity, I removed the pump/sender unit. '82 was the first year for in-the-tank fuel pump and most people replace them with '85 pump. When I removed it, I immediately found the problem. The pump is connected to the metal output line with a short rubber tube, which had deteriorated and become soft. That hose had no clamps and was the only thing holding the pump in place. The bump jarred it enough that the pump disconnected from the hose and shifted on it's bottom rubber mount. I replaced the hose and haven't had a problem since. Since I had the pump out, I should have replaced it with an '85 pump, which delivers higher fuel pressure. Guess I'll do that later.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:52 PM
kevakasper
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist
No-IL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Start with the fuel pump. That is a known weak link in the CFI system. Also check all of the rubber fuel hoses. There is one connecting the fuel pump to the sending unit, two on top of the fuel tank, some more on the pass frame rail where the fuel filter is located, and even more behind the water pump! Many places for a old hose to collapse. Second check your throttle bodies, there are small filters over the inlet for the fuel injectors, and the TB's are known to wear out on the bore for the shaft to TB. I just re bushed mine and recalibrated, world of difference. Also check the oil pressure switch, the fuel pump is driven off the oil pump. If you lose oil pressure going around a corner, you will also lose your fuel! I have the exact same car, but I have 9 months on you fixing all of the 82 gremlins!
I just changed my cam, and refreshed all of the sensors, my car is running excellent now!
Old 01-28-2012, 06:49 PM
rexydg
5th Gear

Well now.. LOL. I just came back from a long drive.

I had the fuel pump out yesterday.. it was a newer unit, hose was good and pressures are good with power applied.

I traced the hoses back yesterday. I also Tested the oil press. sw. in place and it checked out.

I disconnected the battery earlier and removed the ECM cleaned the connectors and re-assembled. It seems to have done the trick as it starts and runs fine now.

I prob. just put 40 miles on it with LOTS of right turns.

I really like my 87 Z-51 much better, 60K on the clock and it runs perfect.. not quite the dog this 82 is either..LOL.

I do get lots of comments on it out and about though. I picked it up pretty cheap not running and I figure I'll make it as right as I can get it and turn it over.

I appreciate the responses!

I have a friend who worked on nothing but vettes for 27 years.. most times I can tell him a symptom and he tells me what it is..LOL.

He was not available and I had no idea if there was a common problem with this unit in a right turn. (chafed wiring) etc.

I believe what was happening was that the connector to the ECM was loose on one of the pins and the wires moving in a turn was enough to shut it down.

Seems to be running fine now...
Old 01-31-2012, 07:53 PM
rexydg
5th Gear

Well.. lets see its running TOO good now..LOL.

I now shut it down and the fuel pump will not stop.. it keeps pumping away.. If i disconnect the harness and re connect it, it stops.

It will keep running even with the fuel pump relay pulled. When the car is shut down.

So I drive it, sut it down .. and the fuel pump keeps going until I break the connector apart, then it will stop. Any Ideas?
Old 01-31-2012, 08:12 PM
kevakasper
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist
No-IL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

You need a young Priest and an old Priest! Excorsism is the only cure!
Old 01-31-2012, 08:22 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

if the fuel pump stays running when you pull the relay ,i would think that someone has run a new hot wire to the fuel pump .i ask a lot of questions herehttp://crossfireinj.5.forumer.com/
Old 01-31-2012, 11:42 PM
rexydg
5th Gear

Originally Posted by kevakasper
You need a young Priest and an old Priest! Excorsism is the only cure!
Which one takes on the fuel pump demon?

I will look over that harness and see if someone did.. this is something i think it just started doing, is there any way this could be ECM related? ETA: it seems to me that if that were the case.. breaking apart the connector would not stop it... it would start right back up again when it was plugged back together.

It doesn't... it stops, then i can put the plug back together and it is off.

Last edited by rexydg; 01-31-2012 at 11:44 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1982 CE issue.. strange one..

Quick Reply: 1982 CE issue.. strange one..