C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 07:43 PM
rbrock
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Noise

Hey Folks,

Here is what I have going on with my car. I recently redid the majority of my interior and in doing so I added an Alpine stereo with Pioneer speakers (4x6 in the front and 6x9 in the storage area).

My issue is that when I first installed everything and got the car back on the road I had no noise through the radio. About a week later I started getting a noise that sounds like engine noise through the speakers, but it is intermittent. Like today I ran to the grocery store and took the Vette. When I left the house it had the noise and it was fairly loud, by the time I got to the store (about 4 miles away) the noise was still there but reduced in volume. When I came out of the store there was no noise at all, it remained that way for the rest of the drive, which was longer than the drive to the store .

So here are the facts that I've collected:

-The noise sounds like engine noise, but it is NOT RPM dependent, it remains the same pitch no matter how fast the engine is running.

- The volume of the noise is constant and is not affected by the volume of the radio. So I can hide the sound by turning up the radio volume.

- The sound is only there when the engine is running.

- When the sound is there, it is there if the radio is on OR off.

- The noise is intermittent, sometimes it is there when I start the car and it slowly goes away. Other times it doesn't have the noise at all. I don't believe that I have ever had the noise appear while driving. If the noise isn't there when I start the car, then it doesn't show up at all until I shut the car off again. Usually once it is gone, it is gone for the day.

I'm open to suggestions on what may be causing this. And yes, I do have spark plug wires that have noise suppression, like I said it is not RPM dependent.

Thanks,
Ray
Old 01-22-2012, 09:14 PM
DC3
Melting Slicks

Received 353 Likes on 254 Posts

I hate intermittent problems. Not sure of what is going on but here is a site you can use to help you diagnose the problem: http://www.termpro.com/asp/pubs.asp?ID=121

Good luck with it and let us know how it turns out.

DC
Old 01-22-2012, 10:45 PM
thegavel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gooday rbrock,
I've been having a FUN time with my system too.
Checkout my thread -Lotsa good advice.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...k-arrrrrr.html

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
GAV

Get notified of new replies

To Radio Noise

Quick Reply: Radio Noise