C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tranny problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 06:25 PM
tim bob
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny problem

i just finished changing the cam in my 76 l 48 automatic. i put a a mild cam from summit i beleive it was a 1103? anyway i also went with the true duals. i took the car out after we broke in the cam and it sort of make a weird sound once or twice not sure were the sound came from? so i just took the car out i got 3 blocks i nailed it it made that sound and the tranny stopped working? so i pulled over i gave it alittle gas and car moved real slow give it gas rpms go up car wont move pulled over again and took off slow so i got it back home? my tranny before the cam shifted right on real smooth and ideas what could be happenig oh i did take off my tranny pan replace the fliuld and filter??? thanks in advance tim bob
Old 01-11-2012, 06:37 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

What does the trans fluid look like? If its burned, its time for a trans rebuild.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:46 PM
tim bob
Advanced

i ve only gone 6 miles with the car since swap of cam but i just pulled the dipstick out its still hot fluid is still reddish no burnish smell??
Old 01-11-2012, 10:04 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

Perhaps its just low on fluid.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:59 AM
75vetteman
Instructor

my 91 dodge has trans problems n i was told that since it had 100k on it n still the same fluid that changin the fluid n filter could cause more damage. i didn't listen to im n changed it anyways n it didn't help but didn't make things worse. no idea if this guy was right or wrong but it might mean somethin to somebody.
i'd check the level immediately. also if i'm not mistaken it takes more fluid to shift into reverse so that may be a good test. i'm not the greatest at diagnosin transmissions but i can rebuild the old THMs easily.

Last edited by 75vetteman; 01-13-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:35 PM
tim bob
Advanced

thanks for the info i will warm up the car and check fluild i hope thats the problem cars been out of comission for quit some time. want to drive it oh well ill post my results thanks tim bob
Old 01-22-2012, 09:54 AM
tim bob
Advanced

well i warmed up the motor check fluild it was a pint low took out car slow at first felt alittle slipping and than after 5 blocks solid shifts great so it was alittle low thanks again every one

Get notified of new replies

To tranny problem

Quick Reply: tranny problem