C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lets talk exausts

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 06:31 PM
SPC Meyer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lets talk exhausts

I was looking at exhaust kits and found a hooker exhaust for my 78, I started reading about it and seen that the O.D. was 2 1/4 inches. If the stock size is 2.5 O.D. why would hooker make a smaller diameter. Is there any advantages to this. I wouldn't think so. If you wanna look it up here is the part number "Hooker Headers 16521 - Hooker Competition Dual Exhaust Kit"

Last edited by SPC Meyer; 01-10-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:32 PM
SPC Meyer
Advanced

Wait, am I wrong, did the 78 come with a 2 inch exhaust
Old 01-11-2012, 08:49 AM
BKarol
Melting Slicks

Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

In 78 they came with two pipe sizes, one for L48 & L82. The problem I see with your listing is the exhaust system is for 63-82 and you clamp/weld it to make it fit.http://www.jegs.com/i/Hooker-Headers...oductId=749142

If you want an easy job. Just buy some 2 1/2 exhaust like this or whatever you need :
http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....Z5Z5Z50000050G

You dont mention headers or mufflers in your post so more info is needed.

Last edited by BKarol; 01-11-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:08 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 539 Likes on 414 Posts

Buy the complete system from Corvette Central. It fits just like the factory system and you can get an aftermarket muffler (I think its Magnaflow, but don't quote me) if you like a little louder sound. I've had mine for years and its got all the little tweaks and bends to make it clear everything, and sits up nice and tight under the car. Best I've ever seen, and way better than you'll get from the local muffler shop.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:12 PM
pakrat12
Intermediate

Originally Posted by drwet

Buy the complete system from Corvette Central. It fits just like the factory system and you can get an aftermarket muffler (I think its Magnaflow, but don't quote me) if you like a little louder sound. I've had mine for years and its got all the little tweaks and bends to make it clear everything, and sits up nice and tight under the car. Best I've ever seen, and way better than you'll get from the local muffler shop.
I have the Corvette Central true duals on my 82. You can get them with headers and Magnaflow mufflers for just over $600 or a system for around $300 that bolts up to the stock manifold.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:11 AM
gcusmano74
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by drwet

Yes. CC sells the pipe set with "stock" replacement mufflers or you can get Magnaflows for just a few more bucks. I just got the 2 1/2" pipe set with the Magnaflows and they flow so well I am having to recalibrate the Quadrajet to compensate. Plus they are significantly louder than stock. I'm 54 now, so I might have been happier with something quieter, but, what the @$%&. It still makes me giggle anyway. My teenaged sons are completely stoked over the new sound, as well.
Periodically, CC offers free freight on orders over some particular value. The muffler and pipe set qualifies. I waited a few weeks and ordered it that way, myself.

Get notified of new replies

To Lets talk exausts

Quick Reply: Lets talk exausts