C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3x2 bbl carbs converted to fuel injection?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 03:11 AM
bucky katt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3x2 bbl carbs converted to fuel injection?

someone mentioned to me this evening that they had either heard of or saw where 3 holley 2 barrel carburetors had been converted to throttle body injection so you would still have the look of carbs but the advantages of EFI. is this true or someones pipe dream? i would love to do something like this with my 78 someday if it's a possibility.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:37 AM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi

Wow, you would require 3 ea throttle body injector carbs for this.

Never heard of.

Rgds. Günther
Old 01-10-2012, 06:12 AM
bucky katt
Instructor

i actually saw a 58 Impala with a 348 and 6 stromberg 97's converted to TBI so i know it CAN be done, i just dont know if it's something that can be purchased off the shelf or if it's something i'm going to be using my extensive skills with a CNC mill and a lathe to do it myself?
Old 01-10-2012, 06:46 AM
Marlin
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am sure its doable as I have seen dual 2bbl TBI units before. 2 are easier as the adapter plates have room on the intake. The 3x2 may have issues for the plates so you might have to drill the intake to take the TBI units to leave room for them.

The 2bbl GM TBI units are small so I don't think that would be the issue. That and a megasquirt 3 should be able to control them. Biggest issue is the intake from what I can see.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:52 AM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 569 Likes on 455 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I'm not sure who is doing it but the throttle bodies are made to look like Holley carbs. check with Charlie price at vintage speed. i think he has a system that resembles the 2g Rochester, but he may know
Old 01-10-2012, 07:55 AM
bucky katt
Instructor

Originally Posted by Marlin
I am sure its doable as I have seen dual 2bbl TBI units before. 2 are easier as the adapter plates have room on the intake. The 3x2 may have issues for the plates so you might have to drill the intake to take the TBI units to leave room for them.

The 2bbl GM TBI units are small so I don't think that would be the issue. That and a megasquirt 3 should be able to control them. Biggest issue is the intake from what I can see.

a TIG welder and my CNC Milling machine ought to take care of the intake carburetor mounting pads. I converted a factory crossfire intake to use 2 4 BBL carburetors using a MIG welder and the mill. not only did it look good but the car ran like a bat out of hell.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:57 AM
bucky katt
Instructor

Originally Posted by 7t9l82
I'm not sure who is doing it but the throttle bodies are made to look like Holley carbs. check with Charlie price at vintage speed. i think he has a system that resembles the 2g Rochester, but he may know

YES! thats the one! thank you. as soon as i saw the name you typed in i remembered!
Old 01-10-2012, 11:46 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Why??? You have a 3x2 carb system on your car and want to butcher it??? Just sell it to someone who wants it. With the funds you can buy any FI unit you want....
Old 01-10-2012, 11:51 AM
bucky katt
Instructor

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Why??? You have a 3x2 carb system on your car and want to butcher it??? Just sell it to someone who wants it. With the funds you can buy any FI unit you want....

no, I have a small block and i am thinking about going to a big block. i like the look and sound of the 3x2 setup but i really prefer fuel injection for the easier cold starting, better fuel efficiency, the list of reasons just goes on and on.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:32 PM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi

Keep us informed . Interesting project.

Rgds. Günther
Old 01-10-2012, 09:49 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

Give these guys a call:
http://www.fbthrottlebodies.com/

They do a Mopar 6 Pack EFI setup. Mopar used Holley 2300 carbs just like the tripower. They use a port injection setup so the manifold would have to be modified for the injectors. Vette magazine did a article on efi tripower using their throttle bodies. However, no real details. I was thinking of this as well for my planned small block to big block swap but decided to stick with carbs for now.

EDIT:
Here is a link to one of the Vette articles.
http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/vemp_11...est/index.html

It has links to the rest of the series. They modified a dual quad intake to EFI tripower. But no real technical details. One reason that I am really not a fan of the magazine.

Last edited by SteveG75; 01-10-2012 at 09:54 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 3x2 bbl carbs converted to fuel injection?

Quick Reply: 3x2 bbl carbs converted to fuel injection?