C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

462624 Chevy heads

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 01:59 PM
Ravoll
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 462624 Chevy heads

Hi All.
Have a quick question.Pulled the heads off my 350 and during my valve job prep,found they were both cracked across the 4,6/3,5 cylinders exhaust valve seat.Just purchased a brand new pair today, Hecho Mexico,
Cast # 462624 2.02/1.60

Just found out that heads with these Casting '#s are crack prone.
I also saw that the new heads have pressed in seats for the exhaust valves,not ground into the casting like my busted ones .Is this a fix for the cracking problems.
I'm just trying to gather some info before I run these things.It's a "peace of mind" thing.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:44 PM
BLOCKMAN
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ravoll
Hi All.
Have a quick question.Pulled the heads off my 350 and during my valve job prep,found they were both cracked across the 4,6/3,5 cylinders exhaust valve seat.Just purchased a brand new pair today, Hecho Mexico,
Cast # 462624 2.02/1.60

Just found out that heads with these Casting '#s are crack prone.
I also saw that the new heads have pressed in seats for the exhaust valves,not ground into the casting like my busted ones .Is this a fix for the cracking problems.
I'm just trying to gather some info before I run these things.It's a "peace of mind" thing.
Those heads are a smog head, Years ago when I worked for State Police we had a memo from GM that said if we found cranks in those heads and they were not using anti freeze put them back on as the cranks were most likely just in the induction harden seat.

I think that was a valid point as we would pressure test them valve job put them back on and never seen any issues.

Pessure test would be key!!

I would go to a better head like an aluminum head rather then spend money on seats and guides ETC.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:46 PM
Ravoll
Instructor

Originally Posted by BLOCKMAN
Those heads are a smog head, Years ago when I worked for State Police we had a memo from GM that said if we found cranks in those heads and they were not using anti freeze put them back on as the cranks were most likely just in the induction harden seat.

I think that was a valid point as we would pressure test them valve job put them back on and never seen any issues.

Pessure test would be key!!

I would go to a better head like an aluminum head rather then spend money on seats and guides ETC.

Due to a minor stipulation in my registrating I cannot add Alu heads and still retain my historical vehicle status.Vehicle must keep an outward "original" appearence.

On the heads that are cracked the cracks run from inside the combustion chamber,through the valve seat, and out the exhaust port.

The question is ,with the new heads having pressed in valve seats, will I have to worry about them also developing the same cracks in the future?
Old 12-31-2011, 11:26 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Made in USA Aluminum heads with chevy orange paint would be my choice for an "outward original appearence".
Edit: I guess that ugly blue color in your case.

Last edited by 63mako; 12-31-2011 at 11:29 PM.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:31 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by 63mako
Made in USA Aluminum heads with chevy orange paint would be my choice for an "outward original appearence".
I agree, and if the car has the alternator and A/C hooked up, it will be next to impossible to see the head.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:48 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

After going thru several "crack-o-matics" on my '78 L82, I finally fixed the problem by putting a 427 BB in it.

That said, if anyone would like to have a spare on hand I do happen to have one good bare #462624 w/o apparent cracks. $25USD plus shipping (states only), else it's going to be tossed out with spring cleaning.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:52 PM
vanice
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 63mako
Old 01-02-2012, 01:50 PM
Ravoll
Instructor

Actually its been repainted ."Ford" blue.
Not really.I'ts dark ultra marine blue.Was cheaper than getting that ugly faded chevy blue,and looks better.

Last edited by Ravoll; 01-02-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:23 PM
Rich's'78
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default L48 vs L82

Both engines used the 624 heads with the L48 using the smaller valves and the L82s using the larger valves (2.02 + 1.60). I believe the cracking problem was only with the larger valves since there is less casting material left between them.
So either use the smaller valve 624s (I don't think you will give up much flow, they both flow poorly compared to modern heads) or get a set of good flowing cast iron heads and grind the brand name off them. You will pick up at least 20 hp, more if you made other mods.
The potential problem with aluminum heads in your case is no matter how you hide them they will not be magnetic, so if they go to that much trouble to verify cast iron heads, you are sunk.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:37 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

I was looking at your pics, and it looks like you've made some drivetrain mods, nobody says anything about that? Just engine oriented mods are prohibited?

Scott

Get notified of new replies

To 462624 Chevy heads

Quick Reply: 462624 Chevy heads