C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bled brakes, caliper possibly leaking

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 11:59 AM
nate99
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Bled brakes, caliper possibly leaking

So, after sitting for a long time while I worked on other things, including braided flex lines, I needed to bleed out the brakes on my '81.

All went pretty well with the help of my Motive bleeder, but I noticed a trail of fluid running from my left rear when I went back and looked under the car. I was hoping that it was just a fitting that I didn't tighten, but they all checked out, and the rotor had fluid on it from under the pad when I spun it around. When the calipers/seals leak, is this where it typically shows up?

The prior owner put new pads on fairly close to the point when I bought the car, but who knows what condition the calipers are/were in.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:05 PM
fanmanbd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's where they leak. Caliper rebuilds are easy. It never ends.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:59 PM
nate99
Race Director

Originally Posted by fanmanbd
That's where they leak. Caliper rebuilds are easy. It never ends.
Thanks.

I guess sitting up for three and a half years did my brake system no favors. I guess I'll be calling around for calipers. I heard the AutoZone cheap versions carry a lifetime warranty, so I might just go that route until I'm ready to pop for some Wilwoods.

Last edited by nate99; 12-30-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:51 PM
fanmanbd
Racer

It would be a good idea to make sure you buy or rebuild your calipers with o ring seals instead of the stock lip seals. They resist leakage better if your car sits for more then a few weeks. if rebuiding make sure you have sleeved cylinders.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:41 AM
muskegonbrake
Supporting Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fanmanbd
It would be a good idea to make sure you buy or rebuild your calipers with o ring seals instead of the stock lip seals. They resist leakage better if your car sits for more then a few weeks. if rebuiding make sure you have sleeved cylinders.
If your switching to O-ring seals we recommend that you do it in axle sets, but they will save you trouble down the road. Let me know if we can help.

Andrew
800-442-0335
http://www.muskegonrake.com
Old 01-03-2012, 08:47 AM
nate99
Race Director

Thanks Andrew, I may do that.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:06 AM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by nate99
Thanks.

I guess sitting up for three and a half years did my brake system no favors. I guess I'll be calling around for calipers. I heard the AutoZone cheap versions carry a lifetime warranty, so I might just go that route until I'm ready to pop for some Wilwoods.
Don't buy calipers yet. Pull yours apart and see if the cylinders are sleeved (most are). If so, just buy an o-ring rebuild kit. I like the kit I bought from VB&P, but there are others.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:28 PM
ESC
5th Gear

Default Brake Issue

I have a 69 with manual brakes. I have owned the care for 5 years and put about 7k on the car. Last week I backed the car out of the garage and had a soft pedal. I went for a quick ride and noticed fluid on the inside front driver's side tire. Is this most likely a caliper issue? If so, is it recommended to fix only the caliper that is leaking or perform maintenance on all other brakes. Looking for advice and if possible what the cost might be.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:50 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

What causes the problem is that the brake fluid absorbs water and then forms small particles of rust which in turn cuts the seals...the whole system is more likely contaminated....You can normally rebuild your existing calipers...But Aurozone or Advance would be a very good choice and just exchange yours without a core charge or sending them to a non local parts place...they also offer the best prices...

'O ring calipers work best with floating calipers but yours are not that style...the rigid as the OE you have are best suited for the OE lip seals.....best bet, buy the Azone or Advance with a better warranty
Old 01-03-2012, 09:54 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,252 Likes on 970 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default Happy New Year!

You must have purchased a well cared for Corvette to have gone 5 years with no brake problems.
You can get lip seal calipers from any auto parts store, and you can change just one and be on your way but how long before the next one leaks?
How long has it been since you checked the pads? If you change one side you must change the other.
The rubber hoses can go bad and clog on the inside. You'll need 4 of them.

I have lip seal and drive my car daily, if you leave it parked for long periods of time you may be better off with "O" rings.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:04 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by ESC
Is this most likely a caliper issue?
Yes, you likely have piston seal(s) that have given up.

If so, is it recommended to fix only the caliper that is leaking or perform maintenance on all other brakes.
No, any repairs to a braking system need to be left-right symmetrical at a minimum. But all those seals age at about the same rate, so you'd better believe the other 3 wheels aren't far behind. Do all 4 while you're at it.

Looking for advice and if possible what the cost might be.
Parts are cheap, labor is expensive. DIY

I can vouch for the quality of this kit ...

http://www.vbandp.com/C2-C3-Corvette...t-4-Wheel.html

$160, and you rebuild all 4 calipers (assuming they aren't bad) with o-ring seals.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:20 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironcross
'O ring calipers work best with floating calipers but yours are not that style...the rigid as the OE you have are best suited for the OE lip seals
I'm guessing that anyone who has rebuilt their fixed calipers with O-ring seals would disagree with that statement.

Rick B.

Get notified of new replies

To Bled brakes, caliper possibly leaking

Quick Reply: Bled brakes, caliper possibly leaking